Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 09:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Must be working in a doctor's office. I can't think of a single area in a hospital that doesn't require critical thinking. On your feet. For 12 hours straight.
Even in an office (which I've done) it's more than just showing people into rooms. You do get to exercise your critical thinking skills. People come in thinking they have one problem, and they have something else. I also worked a "triage line" at that job, and got asked everything under the sun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 09:39 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rso092 View Post
ACLS isn't rocket science.

You're not going to wow me with a run of the mill code. Especially in a hospital. I was a paramedic before becoming a nurse; try working a code, with only your partner and with no doctor to tell you what to do on the floor of some disgusting trailer while the patient's kids and husband looks on. Try standing at a car that has crashed, unable to help the patient inside because they're pinned, waiting on the fire department to make the scene so they can cut the car apart. Try handling a respiratory distress call that's bordering on respiratory arrest because the ****ing nursing home nurse thought bumping the O2 on the cannula up to 4lpm from the patient's normal 2lpm would work.

Don't tell me nursing is the hardest job in the world. It isn't, nor is it even close. I know this, because I can compare what I do now to what I've done. You know what nursing is? It's a completely controlled clinical environment with very little actual responsibility for deciding the outcome and treatment of patients. I didn't say it couldn't be a difficult job. What I said was it's not that difficult. It's not horrible physically, and it's certainly not bad mentally.
LOL, omg, I worked in the ER and we knick named know it all EMT's who thought they were gods and wanted to tell nurses how to do our jobs. Hey, I'm not saying what you do isn't a great thing but to have an attitude like you do is pathetic. EMT'S get paid crap too. What's up with that?

I guess you still don't realize that we are all part of a TEAM to help people. You are too busy thinking you are God to understand this very important concept.

Old 04-20-2019, 09:42 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:

You're not going to wow me with a run of the mill code. Especially in a hospital. I was a paramedic before becoming a nurse; try working a code, with only your partner and with no doctor to tell you what to do on the floor of some disgusting trailer while the patient's kids and husband looks on. Try standing at a car that has crashed, unable to help the patient inside because they're pinned, waiting on the fire department to make the scene so they can cut the car apart. Try handling a respiratory distress call that's bordering on respiratory arrest because the ****ing nursing home nurse thought bumping the O2 on the cannula up to 4lpm from the patient's normal 2lpm would work.

Don't tell me nursing is the hardest job in the world. It isn't, nor is it even close. I know this, because I can compare what I do now to what I've done. You know what nursing is? It's a completely controlled clinical environment with very little actual responsibility for deciding the outcome and treatment of patients. I didn't say it couldn't be a difficult job. What I said was it's not that difficult. It's not horrible physically, and it's certainly not bad mentally.
You misunderstand. We didn't need the doc to tell us what to do. We needed him to write down and sign the orders as the code progressed to cover ourselves legally. Since we had few standing orders, nor a set protocol, we responded to each situation as it arose.

I'm not sure anyone said nursing is the hardest job in the world. Just that plenty of people aren't up to doing it. So they become senators instead.

Old 04-20-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:

Try handling a respiratory distress call that's bordering on respiratory arrest because the ****ing nursing home nurse thought bumping the O2 on the cannula up to 4lpm from the patient's normal 2lpm would work.
So your critical thinking skills determined that the COPD patient who was on 2 liters increased to 4 liters caused oxygen induced hypercapnia? Come on... more was going on.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:

By the way, I used to worked as a medic and was ACLS certified. I got a lot of TV time in on my shift. I quit because medics don't get paid well. So I, like you worked both in the field and in the ER and ICU's. As I said before, while most medics are thankfully good at their job you are not gods, you are part of a team of people who work together, all using our knowledge and critical thinking skills for the shared goal of helping people needing our help. Your grandiose sense of self is unbecoming.

Last edited by petch751; 04-20-2019 at 10:41 PM..

Old 04-20-2019, 10:10 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://ktla.com/2019/04/20/washingt...nt-of-the-day/

I wouldn't say they play cards a considerable amount of the day, but having been in a few hospitals many of them do seem to just sit around and talk while ignoring their patients.

Many older nurses seem to be true professionals at their craft, but I would venture to guess many millennial nurses just get into it for the big money.

https://nurse.org/articles/make-over...-travel-nurse/

When people hear about $19,000 paychecks for two weeks work, many who otherwise would not get into nurses end up becoming nurses just for the money and it seems as though they can treat patients horribly in many cases and not have to worry about it.
You must live in an area with really crappy hospitals. I spent about 10 days about 6 months ago, recovering from heart surgery, and my care was absolutely top notch. From the nurses aids, to the RN's to the Doctors. They were right there every minute I needed them, and even when I didn't need them. And they were all hard at work, and overworked the entire time.

Ever since hospitals have become a business things have tightened up for every employee in the place. There is no time to play cards or goof off, they are running their tales off and doing it for 12 hour shifts, not 8 any more.

Playing cards, yeah, right !

Old 04-20-2019, 10:49 PM

This reminds me of when Hillary was pushing Hillarycare (pre-internet). Back then I was apolitical. I walked into the NICU for my shift and the nurses were fuming mad. When I asked what was going on they said read the article on the BB. The article quoted Hillary saying that nurses were uneducated, overpaid and didn't have enough responsibility.

Old 04-20-2019, 11:17 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,697,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
By the way, I used to worked as a medic and was ACLS certified. I got a lot of TV time in on my shift. I quit because medics don't get paid well. So I, like you worked both in the field and in the ER and ICU's. As I said before, while most medics are thankfully good at their job you are not gods, you are part of a team of people who work together, all using our knowledge and critical thinking skills for the shared goal of helping people needing our help. Your grandiose sense of self is unbecoming.
Medics should get better paid. Most in our area have comparable pay to new nurses. Not sure advancement of pay is compared to nursing. Education is trending to that of a LPN or ADN.

Should also be more bridge programs or accelerated RN programs for Medics.

In the end we are all part of 1 team. Much respect for RNs and Medics!!!

Last edited by RunD1987; 04-20-2019 at 11:45 PM..

Old 04-20-2019, 11:40 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I have been in the hospital for almost a year total since November, 2014 and I have to say that 9.10s of the nurses are great. The nurses know what is going on more than the doctors. Young, old, it doesn't matter. Most of them are great. And you'll know pretty quick when you get the 10 percenter. Nurses are under a lot of pressure and it is a tough job. Good bless them!
No question, nurses are awesome. It takes some really ungrateful people to trash nurses and teachers in this country.

Old 04-20-2019, 11:42 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
This reminds me of when Hillary was pushing Hillarycare (pre-internet). Back then I was apolitical. I walked into the NICU for my shift and the nurses were fuming mad. When I asked what was going on they said read the article on the BB. The article quoted Hillary saying that nurses were uneducated, overpaid and didn't have enough responsibility.
Fake News.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies