Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 10:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
The lady I was involved with who was a CNA worked nights. She always came home exhausted. Some nights it might be quieter if there weren't as many patients and the ones that were there were medicated and quiet but rounds to check vitals , empty urinals etc still had to be done so she had to keep moving all shift.

Nights like that might be easier on the RNs but it didn't change much for the CNAs.
I don't think you know what RNs do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 10:59 PM

18,159 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I don't think you know what RNs do.

Oh I do. All the charting, doing report, passing meds, contacting doctors needs be doing IVs etc. The CNAs just have a more physically demanding job and I was exposed to that every day for a long time. Besides I don't get where your inferring that I was bagging on RNs. Not even.

Old 04-21-2019, 11:28 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Another thing that goes on is the nurse to patient ratio is not adequate, nor is the CNA to patient ratio. But then the state comes in and staffing is much better.

Old 04-21-2019, 11:50 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rso092 View Post
ACLS isn't rocket science.

You're not going to wow me with a run of the mill code. Especially in a hospital. I was a paramedic before becoming a nurse; try working a code, with only your partner and with no doctor to tell you what to do on the floor of some disgusting trailer while the patient's kids and husband looks on. Try standing at a car that has crashed, unable to help the patient inside because they're pinned, waiting on the fire department to make the scene so they can cut the car apart. Try handling a respiratory distress call that's bordering on respiratory arrest because the ****ing nursing home nurse thought bumping the O2 on the cannula up to 4lpm from the patient's normal 2lpm would work.

Don't tell me nursing is the hardest job in the world. It isn't, nor is it even close. I know this, because I can compare what I do now to what I've done. You know what nursing is? It's a completely controlled clinical environment with very little actual responsibility for deciding the outcome and treatment of patients. I didn't say it couldn't be a difficult job. What I said was it's not that difficult. It's not horrible physically, and it's certainly not bad mentally.
So, if you loved being a paramedic why did you become a nurse? It appears the nursing profession doesn’t suit you. You don’t like being told what to do either. There are ways to make doctors listen to you but it takes time.

I think you miss the autonomy you had in the field. I don’t think you’d even be happy running a code with another nurse, and a respiratory tech in an ER-no doc. That’s right. There were times we only had three docs on and we had 4 sometimes 5 codes. One time, we were so short staffed, we had to get help from the FD.

Why don’t you try to get into medical school? You have the right attitude.

Old 04-22-2019, 12:24 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
I haven’t worked since youngest son’s (15) autism regression (age 2) but come on!

The patients were sicker; some should have been in the ICU with a 1:1 ratio but were on the floors with 6-7:1. Patients barely stable sent home so we could plop another one in the bed before it was even cold.

More paperwork & protocols. Short staffed. Higher patient load. Administration marginalizing experienced nurses to replace them with new grads who were more modable & cost less.

Nursing means you eat standing up & can hold your bladder for 12+ hours.

Old 04-22-2019, 12:30 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I want to go out like my grandpa did. Don’t see a doctor your whole life and then for the first time ever go to the doctor with an ailment and die a week later at home at 90 years old.

I’ve made it almost 58 years following his program and so far so good.
We should all be so lucky.

Old 04-22-2019, 01:39 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I haven’t worked since youngest son’s (15) autism regression (age 2) but come on!

The patients were sicker; some should have been in the ICU with a 1:1 ratio but were on the floors with 6-7:1. Patients barely stable sent home so we could plop another one in the bed before it was even cold.

More paperwork & protocols. Short staffed. Higher patient load. Administration marginalizing experienced nurses to replace them with new grads who were more modable & cost less.

Exactly.

Old 04-22-2019, 02:08 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://ktla.com/2019/04/20/washingt...nt-of-the-day/

I wouldn't say they play cards a considerable amount of the day, but having been in a few hospitals many of them do seem to just sit around and talk while ignoring their patients.

Many older nurses seem to be true professionals at their craft, but I would venture to guess many millennial nurses just get into it for the big money.

https://nurse.org/articles/make-over...-travel-nurse/

When people hear about $19,000 paychecks for two weeks work, many who otherwise would not get into nurses end up becoming nurses just for the money and it seems as though they can treat patients horribly in many cases and not have to worry about it.

Why would a state consider a law mandating uninterrupted breaks/ rest periods for nurses?

If this is an issue, why wouldn’t this be between employer and union?

Old 04-22-2019, 02:23 PM

18,159 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post

I get the barely stable and sent home thing. I was admitted last year for an illness that had me barely able to walk. I was in for 2 days while they tried to figure it out. The doctor comes in on the morning of the second day and tells me my labs all looked great so he was discharging me. I still wasn't feeling any better but he insisted that my labs were fine so just go home ad take it easy.

So, home I went. I was home for a little under 12 hours ad had to call an ambulance to come get me.The doctor in the ER ran labs straight off and comes in to tell me he's admitting me because I was so dehydrated my kidneys were failing. So I was discharged because my labs were fine but in that short period of time I was home I got so dried out my kidneys were shutting down? As I think about it I only received one bag of fluid in the time I was in.

I don't get it but as you say send one out get one in on the same sheets before they get cold. From my nursing friends and from personal experience I've seen and been told of the levels of frustration nursing staff goes through when they know a doctor is wrong and having to deal with the "I'm the doctor you do what I say. End of story." attitude. Some doctors are exceptionally hard on nursing staff just because they can be. Again I've seen it and heard about it from nurse friends.

Nursing is no cakewalk of a profession.

Old 04-22-2019, 05:49 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Why would a state consider a law mandating uninterrupted breaks/ rest periods for nurses?

If this is an issue, why wouldn’t this be between employer and union?
Many nurses are not unionized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies