Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 10:17 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,293,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
What makes diversity a good thing?
College towns tend to be more diverse and attract a more educated workforce. A more educated workforce encourages the development of new types of industries. If you live in an area with few college grads and little diversity, you’re more likely to live in a backwater. You can’t generalize everyplace, but it fits a general rule.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:31 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,958,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
i already live in a very conservative city. I believe close to 90% of scottsdale’s population are registered republicans.

I’m my long years i have lived here, i’ve not seen one bum on the street or panhandlers. Not bad for a city that’s close to 250,000 people.
47%

Old 04-21-2019, 10:32 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
When it's forced as a result of "social engineering" as opposed naturally occurring diversity that happens from the free will of free people..
Who's socially engineering anything in this country? This isn't China.

It's funny how some of the most diverse parts of this country tend to be the most economically productive and how many immigrant CEOs there are of major companies these days... Right off the top of my head, Microsoft, Tesla, Google, mastercard are

Old 04-21-2019, 10:35 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 1 day ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
What makes diversity a good thing?
Because the more diversity there is in a place, especially of thoughts and life experiences...

The less any one broad kind of thinking-experience can squash other kinds of different ways of thinking and invalidate any other kinds of life experiences.

That less inhibited to express your actual beliefs and less likely to internalize the mainstream cultural narrative that "if you express or even have 'this' kind of idea you have, you're stupid or have a mental disorder",

The less inhibited and/or shamed different people are to think for themselves

The more they do think for themselves

The more independent thinking they get

The more creative they become

The more ideas they come up with

Which can translate into new findings about science, new ideas about technology, new products, new goods and services, and so forth.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:36 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Living in New Orleans for a while, I came to love the food, and culture. Plus it's a beautiful area. I wouldn't want to live there again due to the crime rates, but I had a good time in that area. Baton Rouge and Lafayette are great as well.

one of my aunts lived in lake charles for several years after getting married, and before moving to pittsburg when my uncles company transferred him there. i really liked that area as well. but truthfully if i were to move from the city i live in now, i would move to a much smaller town like alexandria or deridder la, or luray va, or other such small towns.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:37 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
good pick.

hard to believe a list of most conservative towns/cities that includes none from oklahoma.
That's because Oklahoma is viewed, like Mississippi, as one of the worst states to move to in the country, due to lack of positive image and decent paying jobs. The only family I know of who moved to Oklahoma from California did it because the father's California job was transferable to a town in Oklahoma, while the pay remained the same.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:39 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,958,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
That's because Oklahoma is viewed, like Mississippi, as one of the worst states to move to in the country, due to lack of positive image and decent paying jobs. The only family I know of who moved to Oklahoma from California did it because the father's California job was transferable to a town in Oklahoma, while the pay remained the same.
Much of Oklahoma is rather depressing. One of the few places you can buy homes sub 70k.

That said, some areas near OKC are very nice.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:53 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 27 days ago)

27,646 posts, read 16,133,597 times
Ive been to some of these towns. I find that the more liberal a town, people tend to be in a hurry and rude. And traffic generally sucks. The so called “diversity’ of any area generally make me feel like a stranger in my own land, unwelcome.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:57 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
College towns tend to be more diverse and attract a more educated workforce. A more educated workforce encourages the development of new types of industries. If you live in an area with few college grads and little diversity, you’re more likely to live in a backwater. You can’t generalize everyplace, but it fits a general rule.
That's very true in at least one college town in Oklahoma. Oklahoma struggles without much success to attract new industry from outside the state, so the state in a large building helps new business ideas to start. So in Stillwater you have Billy Goat Ice Cream and other more advanced sounding businesses. Stillwater government, with help from a federal grant, has instigated daily airline service to Dallas, via American Eagle, so that might attract outside industry.

Old 04-21-2019, 11:04 AM

956 posts, read 1,207,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
Because the more diversity there is in a place, especially of thoughts and life experiences...

The less any one broad kind of thinking-experience can squash other kinds of different ways of thinking and invalidate any other kinds of life experiences.

That less inhibited to express your actual beliefs and less likely to internalize the mainstream cultural narrative that "if you express or even have 'this' kind of idea you have, you're stupid or have a mental disorder",

The less inhibited and/or shamed different people are to think for themselves

The more they do think for themselves

The more independent thinking they get

The more creative they become

The more ideas they come up with

Which can translate into new findings about science, new ideas about technology, new products, new goods and services, and so forth.

and it's why cities are so much liberal and rural areas so conservative - most of those people in rural areas most likely never saw a Jew, Muslim, Mexican or black person - all they see is what Fox News and right wing media shows them.

and the natural human reaction to seeing someone different from you? fear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies