U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2019, 06:52 PM

949 posts, read 197,448 times

Advertisements

I have always since my first saunter into wider politics (including standing in Council Elections twice with a regular party!) what Facebook is doing.

They have shoved out a group of far right parties following the usal label stuff. Now I have not supported any of those in the group listed so I made a point of looking at one of them the BNP lot. Though i am a mainstream man I in all fairness mused over the dismissal of that corner as there was no reason I could in all sense see why that group has been booted. So will investigate further now I have been curious. Our ideas on democracy and such seems to becoming a very controlled version of the thing. Automatically it is okay to be far left but far right is automatically out? Far left includes Communism and similars and they in countries they controlled imprisoned and killed millions. Being democrat leaning it makes me wonder why liberalism has become so disjointed and imbalanced. Have not checked the other ones but my first party look increased my wonder as even the news channels are coming out with control freakery and labels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 07:14 PM

3,923 posts, read 1,869,643 times
Far left is as unappealing as far right, and based on my circles I haven’t come across the idea that far left is automatically accepted. As for the hate groups on fb, I see no reason why a private business like fb owes anyone the right to a social media platform.

Old 04-21-2019, 07:41 PM

22,815 posts, read 28,209,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhowie View Post
I have always since my first saunter into wider politics (including standing in Council Elections twice with a regular party!) what Facebook is doing.

They have shoved out a group of far right parties following the usal label stuff. Now I have not supported any of those in the group listed so I made a point of looking at one of them the BNP lot. Though i am a mainstream man I in all fairness mused over the dismissal of that corner as there was no reason I could in all sense see why that group has been booted. So will investigate further now I have been curious. Our ideas on democracy and such seems to becoming a very controlled version of the thing. Automatically it is okay to be far left but far right is automatically out? Far left includes Communism and similars and they in countries they controlled imprisoned and killed millions. Being democrat leaning it makes me wonder why liberalism has become so disjointed and imbalanced. Have not checked the other ones but my first party look increased my wonder as even the news channels are coming out with control freakery and labels.
Well, I think that it goes back to the mess in 2016, rj. They figured out that the Russians messed with US politics by pushing far right stuff. Congress has questioned Zuckerberg a couple of times about the situation. There were questions in the US as to whether the Russians have also messed with politics in the UK. That might be what you're seeing, in an attempt to be cautious. I suspect that if the groups are legitimate and can prove it, they'll be back.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:17 AM

14,309 posts, read 13,076,048 times
Facebook is doing what the management at Facebook wants it to do. If management is liberal, output is liberal.

That’s why I don’t use it.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:26 AM

11,279 posts, read 5,127,182 times
Politics on Facebook is whatever you let on. You can block both sides if you want.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:47 AM

32,031 posts, read 17,410,560 times
Most tech/social media platforms are leftist in nature, they require the state to get as big as they are and to tamp down any would be competitors.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:45 PM

949 posts, read 197,448 times
I do not have a favour towards either far left or far right whilst I do think it is morally wrong the way that Facebook has went about this and using the word liberalism as the answer maybe? We have a national Liberal Democrat Party here in GB but it doesn't get anywhere in parliament! I do think in passing southbound_295 that I am afraid the USA does act rather illicit at times. Over the years interfering in countries, disrupting to remove governments, backing military dictators. What it accuses the Russian Federation of is in that mind a bit ludicrous and tut, tut hypocrisy or are Americans just politically gullible?! Indeed historically there have been times when some very rightist dictatorships given all they need by America to maintain them!

What Facebook is doing makes me ponder on it (I am not joining it) and it's would-be liberalism covers the middle and left but not the right? A rather odd balance and stance.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:15 PM

5,353 posts, read 1,404,200 times
Facebook?
I find more truth at the Public Library.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:30 PM

14,616 posts, read 12,060,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Politics on Facebook is whatever you let on. You can block both sides if you want.

I can count on one hand the number of politically related blurbs I've put up on FB in 5 years. And it was all gun control related stuff that has come up within the state. I use FB primarily to swap pics and keep up with my son and just a couple friends. I know people who post their entire lives day to day on it.

It's like "ten minutes ago I had to take a s***." That I just don't get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies