Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2019, 08:19 AM

62,938 posts, read 29,134,396 times

Advertisements

I don't care what culture or language ones chooses to practice at home and nothing wrong with ethnic restaurants. Out in mainstream act, dress and speak like an American. English is our national de facto language.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:22 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,726,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Those living in upscale non-diverse areas always bring up the foodie aspect of multi-culturalism. Food diversity is of paramount importance to society don't you know. Entire swaths of the US are being decimated but Brendyn watched too many episodes of citizen of the world Bourdain stuffing his gullet with lizard anuses so he's all for it.

He doesn't care that Joe's neighbor slaughters goats over the fence, it's so exotic, and Joe deserves it for being a white guy living in targeted- for- diversity area. Joe should have done better, Joe should have learned to code.
While I agree that foodie aspects are a minor benefit, learning how people of other cultures cook, eat, and interact during meals is fascinating. It's just another layer of understanding how people tick and what their relationships are like.

There are farmers here who slaughter their livestock. They live in agricultural areas, though. Does Joe? If so, I would wonder why he's more worried about someone slaughtering goats than he is about someone slaughtering pigs, chickens, or cows. If not, I understand the concern and think he should call whoever handles zoning problems.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:24 AM

6,115 posts, read 4,607,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Can you give examples of cultural harmony? I assume you're not saying that everyone must eat the same food, speak the same language in their own homes, attend the same church, and listen to the same music.
Oldglory was replying to my post so I'll chime in and see if he or she wants to add anything. I heard someone talk about the scandal involving the wealthy actress Lori Laughlin (sp??) who bribed college officials to get their kids into college and how everyone felt this was morally wrong, regardless of their background, race, politics, etc. There has to be some sense of moral agreement about what's right and what's wrong that goes beyond what political party people are affiliated with, what food people eat or what music they listen to.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:24 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I don't care what culture or language ones chooses to practice at home and nothing wrong with ethnic restaurants. Out in mainstream act, dress and speak like an American. English is our national de facto language.
Wow......so you think, for example, a 10 gallon hat and alligator boots and a thick Southern Slur would be verboten?

I don't think there is any law against speaking foreign languages. Even the far-right wing owners of Home Depot have decided to put all signs in Spanish. Many money is the key here? If you have money, you are welcome to do anything. If you don't, expect others to object???

Personally, and I do know this is only my opinion, I feel more alive when I hear multiple languages spoken. Obviously I hear mostly English...but some Spanish, Russian, Portugese and French also. Once in a while I even hear Italian.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:25 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post

I have also spent some time as a kid hanging around in the south side of Chicago. That experience did not bode well for improving my perception of "diversity". One can see that climate of violence perpetuates today and has not changed much, with the exception of the area around Comisky Park has improved and you don't risk your life by going to the Ancient History Museum or the Univ of Chicago campus.
There are 178 neighborhoods in Chicago.

The 15,000 students ar the private University of Chicago would likely disagree with your assessment. The highly selective school is ranked #3 in the US.

It is located in the “ diverse” Hyde Park- Kenwood neighborhood. Your perception of safety has not diminished the school’s reputation or attractiveness to potential students.

Guess you might assume the same about John Hopkins.

The Field Museum of Natural History, along with Shedd Aquarium and Adler planetarium comprise the
“ Museum Campus”. It’s a very popular destination for school field trips during the week. The Field Museum is a popular destination for sleepovers. Can’t beat “ Dozin with the Dino’s”.

https://www.choosechicago.com/blog/p...e-hungry-kids/

Chicago had 58 million overnight visitors in 2018. They spend huge sums of money on lodging, dining, shopping and entertainment. They all managed to escape with their lives.

Hop on/ off tour buses routinely run the Museum Campus and architectural bus tours operate in Hyde Park- Kenwood.

There’s no good reason to visit the 5/25 gang- infested Police Districts where most violence occurs. These neighborhoods are not diverse, beyond the diversity of street gangs.

Reasonable people view diversity beyond skin color.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:29 AM

19,626 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Well said. My Asian partner doesn't understand why his company and others are attempting to resegregate by putting in place 'people of color' days and events. He doesn't want to be considered a person of color or a minority and I don't blame him.
Since when are Asians considered people of color. If anything they get discriminated against for their tendency to be successful.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:30 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
There are 178 neighborhoods in Chicago.

The 15,000 students ar the private University of Chicago would likely disagree with your assessment. The highly selective school is ranked #3 in the US.

It is located in the “ diverse” Hyde Park- Kenwood neighborhood. Your perception of safety has not diminished the school’s reputation or attractiveness to potential students.

Guess you might assume the same about John Hopkins.

The Field Museum of Natural History, along with Shedd Aquarium and Adler planetarium comprise the
“ Museum Campus”. It’s a very popular destination for school field trips during the week. The Field Museum is a popular destination for sleepovers. Can’t beat “ Dozin with the Dino’s”.

https://www.choosechicago.com/blog/p...e-hungry-kids/

Chicago had 58 million overnight visitors in 2018. They spend huge sums of money on lodging, dining, shopping and entertainment. They all managed to escape with their lives.

Hop on/ off tour buses routinely run the Museum Campus and architectural bus tours operate in Hyde Park- Kenwood.

There’s no good reason to visit the 5/25 gang- infested Police Districts where most violence occurs. These neighborhoods are not diverse, beyond the diversity of street gangs.

Reasonable people view diversity beyond skin color.

Ummm....................... I like Chicago. And yes, Univ of Chicago is an outstanding school- no debate.
We still fly into Chicago to go to Cubs games. As far as "big towns", Chicago is probably my second favorite.

I was simply stating that the south side was not the nicest place in the world. It was (and is) very similar to the Western Ave area of South Bend- high crime and high poverty.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:30 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,381,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Since when are Asians considered people of color. If anything they get discriminated against for their tendency to be successful.
They are lumped into that category by liberals. Yes, Asians confuse liberals, because they don't typically fit their victimhood narrative.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:31 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I would agree with that in principle. I have traveled quite a bit and met many different types of people, most of whom on a personal basis want the same thing as everyone else- peace, a job, protection for their family, a home, ect..... Some people, however, are real pieces of work, like the Italians- very rude and pushy (quite unlike Italian-Americans, who are just the opposite). The Scots, Irish, Danes and Dutch are by far the nicest people in Europe.
The population of Italy is 61 million, spread across 116,000 square miles.

How many of the 61 million did you encounter during your travels in Italy that you use a broard brush to paint all Italians as rude and pushy?

These kinds of generalizations say more about you than your target.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:33 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Oldglory was replying to my post so I'll chime in and see if he or she wants to add anything. I heard someone talk about the scandal involving the wealthy actress Lori Laughlin (sp??) who bribed college officials to get their kids into college and how everyone felt this was morally wrong, regardless of their background, race, politics, etc. There has to be some sense of moral agreement about what's right and what's wrong that goes beyond what political party people are affiliated with, what food people eat or what music they listen to.
Here is an interesting tidbit - you can believe it or not.

A VAST percentage of Americans would do things like that...albeit on a smaller scale (they have less money to do it with)......

You speak about "moral agreement", but it's simply not there. Remember, Trump supporters have a moral agreement that any crime, fraud, civil matter, bankruptcy or otherwise sketchy action is OK as long as two things are in play...
1. You don't get caught.
2. You don't get criminally charged and then found guilty

A few weeks back one of the "ethicists" on the Radio had a question put to them about an SAT or similar tutor....who was hired by the caller. She said the tutor offered a "cheat sheet" which was actually the test itself (or very close) as well as the answers.

She was asking if she should turn the tutor into authorities. She was horrified that the tutor was providing cheating as part of the services.

Bottom line is this...as the called noted. Obviously the vast majority of the clients of the tutor cheated with absolutely no thought about the moral or ethical situation..only to get a leg up!

We are fooling ourselves to think that people are largely ethical and moral in this type of a fashion. My guess is that at least 50% would do "illegal" things to get a leg up, although in some situations it could be more. When they don't see a "victim" right in front of them, people act immorally.

How many people do you think felt bad about getting tax cuts out of other peoples grandchildrens money? I'd be surprised if it was 10%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies