Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2019, 08:36 AM

754 posts, read 485,530 times

Advertisements

What I always find strange is people who go on about how much they hate white people but then go to do marry/date white people.

I see this an awful lot particularly with hollywood celebrities, Lena Dunham said she wanted white men exterminated (but is currently dating a white man), and I see this with a lot of "woke" white women who profess there dislike of white men but are married to white men and chose to have white children.

If you hate white people that much, why are you dating them? If you're desperate to see the idea of browning of America (which is no problem to me) but why are you procreating to have white children?

Diversity is a good thing and I view positively , but why are so few white liberals in interracial marriages? The statistics show the vast majority of them are married to other white people? Just a bit weird.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:37 AM

6,098 posts, read 4,598,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Here is an interesting tidbit - you can believe it or not.

A VAST percentage of Americans would do things like that...albeit on a smaller scale (they have less money to do it with)......

You speak about "moral agreement", but it's simply not there. Remember, Trump supporters have a moral agreement that any crime, fraud, civil matter, bankruptcy or otherwise sketchy action is OK as long as two things are in play...
1. You don't get caught.
2. You don't get criminally charged and then found guilty

A few weeks back one of the "ethicists" on the Radio had a question put to them about an SAT or similar tutor....who was hired by the caller. She said the tutor offered a "cheat sheet" which was actually the test itself (or very close) as well as the answers.

She was asking if she should turn the tutor into authorities. She was horrified that the tutor was providing cheating as part of the services.

Bottom line is this...as the called noted. Obviously the vast majority of the clients of the tutor cheated with absolutely no thought about the moral or ethical situation..only to get a leg up!

We are fooling ourselves to think that people are largely ethical and moral in this type of a fashion. My guess is that at least 50% would do "illegal" things to get a leg up, although in some situations it could be more. When they don't see a "victim" right in front of them, people act immorally.

How many people do you think felt bad about getting tax cuts out of other peoples grandchildrens money? I'd be surprised if it was 10%.
^^^
You raise really good points about human nature. People often see others' ethical infractions more often than their own.
And the same could be said for diversity. People see others' differences as being "off" but fail to see their own quirks as being "off".

Old 04-22-2019, 08:38 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,719,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Oldglory was replying to my post so I'll chime in and see if he or she wants to add anything. I heard someone talk about the scandal involving the wealthy actress Lori Laughlin (sp??) who bribed college officials to get their kids into college and how everyone felt this was morally wrong, regardless of their background, race, politics, etc. There has to be some sense of moral agreement about what's right and what's wrong that goes beyond what political party people are affiliated with, what food people eat or what music they listen to.
Ah yes, definitely. There are some values that encompass every culture (though some perceive them and their importance differently than others).

One interesting example is honesty. Now as an American, I might think, "I try to always tell the truth." But that is very nuanced. If I go to someone's house for dinner and they serve something gross, I would never say that. I'd say, "thank you! You are so kind to have invited me." If they ask straight out, "do you like the chicken recipe I used?" I'd probably say, "I love the addition of the olives! They add so much flavor," or some other comment that does NOT show that I think they really missed the mark with their cooking.

Someone from a more direct culture, let's say a German, might say, "I do not care for how salty this dish is." Are they being rude? To an American, yes. But honesty and directness are more important than saving face in that culture.

And someone in a less direct culture, perhaps a Thai, would smile and say, "yes, I like it." Are they lying? Technically, yes, but face-saving and not causing discomfort or embarrassment is much more important.

Another example: You are invited to do something you don't want to do tomorrow at 3:00 pm. A typical American response might be, "Thank you for inviting me, but I have other plans." A typical German response might be, "No, thank you, I do not want to go." And a typical Thai response might be, "Yes, I will go." (Then the Thai person doesn't end up going.) Again, those are generalizations! Some people of each of those cultures will do different things.

Some cultures find that sort of bribery to be no big deal. Nepotism and "do what you need to do to help your children" are more important than giving everyone else an equal shot. In the USA, that is awful; we rely more on making your own way, not using bribery, and our collective idea of fairness.

Of course, the USA is not one homogenous culture, either. As a generalization, Southerners are often sweeter and will serve up their insults in a way that isn't obvious, while New Englanders can be a bit more brusque and direct. And there are country mannerisms and city mannerisms. So there is a bit of a culture clash when a white American from rural South Carolina moves to Boston, even if all of his or her neighbors are also white. That's a different type of diversity that many don't think of when they are busy complaining about their Muslim/Mexican/whatever neighbors.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:39 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,691,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
How those black hoodrats can enrich my culture of an educated Ashkenazi jew?
Black hood rats is a broad culture unto itself and not indicative of all black people.

White supremacists is a culture unto itself and not indicative of all white people.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:40 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,581,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
The US used to be "Europe West" and was made up of a population identical to that of the European nations of origin, which was initially nearly 100% England and Scotland.
Initially, for a very short period of time, but soon after it became very diverse with immigrants coming from all kinds of European countries and cultures. Its the story of America.

Italians brought pizza and pasta, and the Germans brought beer and brats. Anyone heard of Anheuser-Busch, or just "Bud"? It is very American, and yet it was founded by German immigrants.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 04-22-2019 at 08:49 AM..

Old 04-22-2019, 08:41 AM

6,098 posts, read 4,598,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Ah yes, definitely. There are some values that encompass every culture (though some perceive them and their importance differently than others).

One interesting example is honesty. Now as an American, I might think, "I try to always tell the truth." But that is very nuanced. If I go to someone's house for dinner and they serve something gross, I would never say that. I'd say, "thank you! You are so kind to have invited me." If they ask straight out, "do you like the chicken recipe I used?" I'd probably say, "I love the addition of the olives! They add so much flavor," or some other comment that does NOT show that I think they really missed the mark with their cooking.

Someone from a more direct culture, let's say a German, might say, "I do not care for how salty this dish is." Are they being rude? To an American, yes. But honesty and directness are more important than saving face in that culture.

And someone in a less direct culture, perhaps a Thai, would smile and say, "yes, I like it." Are they lying? Technically, yes, but face-saving and not causing discomfort or embarrassment is much more important.

Another example: You are invited to do something you don't want to do tomorrow at 3:00 pm. A typical American response might be, "Thank you for inviting me, but I have other plans." A typical German response might be, "No, thank you, I do not want to go." And a typical Thai response might be, "Yes, I will go." (Then the Thai person doesn't end up going.) Again, those are generalizations! Some people of each of those cultures will do different things.

Some cultures find that sort of bribery to be no big deal. Nepotism and "do what you need to do to help your children" are more important than giving everyone else an equal shot. In the USA, that is awful; we rely more on making your own way, not using bribery, and our collective idea of fairness.

Of course, the USA is not one homogenous culture, either. As a generalization, Southerners are often sweeter and will serve up their insults in a way that isn't obvious, while New Englanders can be a bit more brusque and direct. And there are country mannerisms and city mannerisms. So there is a bit of a culture clash when a white American from rural South Carolina moves to Boston, even if all of his or her neighbors are also white. That's a different type of diversity that many don't think of when they are busy complaining about their Muslim/Mexican/whatever neighbors.
Great examples and bless your heart* (just kidding, I really do agree with you! ) I couldn't give the New England example because the mods would be after me.
*An example of a Southern sweet insult.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Initially, foe a very short period of time, but soon after it became very diverse with immigrants coming from all kinds of European countries and cultures. Its the story of America.
Plus he's forgetting about all of the Native Americans who were rounded up and pushed west so the white people could forget about them...

Old 04-22-2019, 08:44 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,172,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I don't care what genetic race one is of. I don't care what their skin color is either. What's important to me is having cultural harmony in our society.
So the southern US is going to give up their culture to harmonize with the north? The union won the civil war so that's the only fair way to choose which culture has to give up their norms. But which northern culture? Boston? NYC? Pittsburgh? Detroit?

Then what to do about Alaska and Hawaii? Don't tell Bundy out in NV that his culture doesn't conform with what you deem "our society". Care to saunter over to a reservation to tell them they need to abandon their culture? It's been tried (forced) before. That wasn't a particularly proud moment for the US.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:45 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,701,522 times
I'm fine with diversity. It usually means a larger selection of delicious ethnic foods.

But the whole "let's make sure we have a black person, hispanic person, a woman, and a gay person in this commercial" is idiotic. That's not natural diversity. It's as fake as the Brady Bunch.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Great examples and bless your heart* (just kidding, I really do agree with you! )
*An example of a Southern sweet insult.
LOL, exactly! I was thinking of that precise phrase!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.