Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 05:33 AM

30,059 posts, read 18,655,134 times

Advertisements

I often hear liberals tout "diversity" as being a wonderful goal that is obviously advantageous to everyone. The term "diversity" has been highjacked from genetics, in which genetic diversity is favorable for adaptation, and applied to social interractions with the presumption that it provides the obvious benefit seen in evolution.

However, the least diverse nations tend to be the most productive, wealthy, and crime free, while those nations with extensive ethnic diversity suffer. Diversity brings about lack of cultural cohesion, confusion over multiple different languages, and strife among the different ethnic groups. Witness the Bosnian War and the multiple wars in Africa- all fought over "diverse" groups failing to get along. Japan is an excellent example of complete lack of diversity, yet they thrive.

My alma mater was in a town that was essentially 100% white (sans the college students). A literal communist city council woman and subsequent mayor sought to make the city more "diverse" and actively recruited citizens from Chicago to come to the town. The town is much more "diverse" today with a much larger ethnic population. However, crime has gone up 10X, there is a part of the town identified and a "no go" area, city wide test scores have declined in schools, and students from the university are periodically victimized by the "diverse" citizens.

I went to a highschool that as 50% black, 10% Hispanic, and 10% Asian. Whites were a minority in the school. Crime was rife in the school and violence was quite common; most groups socialized among themselves and did not interact at all. My kids went to a highschool that was 15% Black, 5% Asian, and 5% Hispanic- the balance white. They had more "minority" friends than I did in highschool and routinely interacted with all students. There was no crime in the school whatsoever.

I am wondering what is the touted advantages of "diversity", as I see more negatives than positives. I understand the goal and perceived benefit, but I rarely see that occur when implemented. Any thoughts?

Old 04-22-2019, 05:36 AM

858 posts, read 424,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I often hear liberals tout "diversity" as being a wonderful goal that is obviously advantageous to everyone. The term "diversity" has been highjacked from genetics, in which genetic diversity is favorable for adaptation, and applied to social interractions with the presumption that it provides the obvious benefit seen in evolution.

However, the least diverse nations tend to be the most productive, wealthy, and crime free, while those nations with extensive ethnic diversity suffer. Diversity brings about lack of cultural cohesion, confusion over multiple different languages, and strife among the different ethnic groups. Witness the Bosnian War and the multiple wars in Africa- all fought over "diverse" groups failing to get along. Japan is an excellent example of complete lack of diversity, yet they thrive.

My alma mater was in a town that was essentially 100% white (sans the college students). A literal communist city council woman and subsequent mayor sought to make the city more "diverse" and actively recruited citizens from Chicago to come to the town. The town is much more "diverse" today with a much larger ethnic population. However, crime has gone up 10X, there is a part of the town identified and a "no go" area, city wide test scores have declined in schools, and students from the university are periodically victimized by the "diverse" citizens.

I went to a highschool that as 50% black, 10% Hispanic, and 10% Asian. Whites were a minority in the school. Crime was rife in the school and violence was quite common; most groups socialized among themselves and did not interact at all. My kids went to a highschool that was 15% Black, 5% Asian, and 5% Hispanic- the balance white. They had more "minority" friends than I did in highschool and routinely interacted with all students. There was no crime in the school whatsoever.

I am wondering what is the touted advantages of "diversity", as I see more negatives than positives. I understand the goal and perceived benefit, but I rarely see that occur when implemented. Any thoughts?

What town are you talking about?

Old 04-22-2019, 05:41 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,514,723 times
There is no excuse for ignorance. When you spend all your time with people who look ike you, think like you, worship like you, are in the same general economic class as you, that breeds ignorance. Funny thing about diversity. Humans are more alike to one another than they are different. It's just that the outward appearances stops some folks in their tracks. Ignorance.

Old 04-22-2019, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosep View Post
What town are you talking about?
A Big Ten school

Old 04-22-2019, 05:49 AM

858 posts, read 424,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
A Big Ten school

Why not say which one? Is it because you're making up the statistics?

Old 04-22-2019, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
There is no excuse for ignorance. When you spend all your time with people who look ike you, think like you, worship like you, are in the same general economic class as you, that breeds ignorance. Funny thing about diversity. Humans are more alike to one another than they are different. It's just that the outward appearances stops some folks in their tracks. Ignorance.
I would agree with that in principle. I have traveled quite a bit and met many different types of people, most of whom on a personal basis want the same thing as everyone else- peace, a job, protection for their family, a home, ect..... Some people, however, are real pieces of work, like the Italians- very rude and pushy (quite unlike Italian-Americans, who are just the opposite). The Scots, Irish, Danes and Dutch are by far the nicest people in Europe.

I have also spent some time as a kid hanging around in the south side of Chicago. That experience did not bode well for improving my perception of "diversity". One can see that climate of violence perpetuates today and has not changed much, with the exception of the area around Comisky Park has improved and you don't risk your life by going to the Ancient History Museum or the Univ of Chicago campus.

So I understand the goals of "diversity". However, in many situations in which they are implemented, living conditions decline, rather than improve. Witness the Twin Cities and Deerborne with the large influx of Muslims. In contrast, Des Moines had a large influx of Muslims, who were secularized Bosnians, which has added a cohort of hard working, pro-education people who embrace western values (because they had them in the first place).

Old 04-22-2019, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosep View Post
Why not say which one? Is it because you're making up the statistics?
Iowa City

Interestingly, a former patient of mine, a huge 6'6" 350 lb black guy who grew up in Iowa City and played football for Iowa told me that there is a part of town in which he will no longer go. Iowa City is, in my opinion, a small town that would ordinarily not have the same relative problems of a larger town. This guy is a local "homer" who is very educated and successful, but expresses regret at the "diversification" of his hometown with people who do not share his values.

Old 04-22-2019, 05:55 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,604,577 times
Quote:
Liberals- what does "diversity" add to your personal life?
Instead of having only American food (cobs of corn and hamburger), we can eat food from other places, like Italian, French, Chinese, Japanese, Indian, etc. Diversity also brings fresh ideas to the table. Think Google and Apple, for example.

Your problem is that when you hear the word 'diversity' you immediately think about black people and equate it with crime.

Old 04-22-2019, 05:56 AM

6,110 posts, read 4,603,494 times
This is a very intriguing question. First, as a matter of disclosure, I'm an Independent and while I buy into some liberal ideas, I don't buy into others.

I wonder if something else was going on with the examples that you mention. For example, what was going on with the social backgrounds of people in the school and college town you mention? Was there a lot of poverty, crime, family disfunction, spiritual bankruptcy, etc. going on that had nothing to do with their ethnicity? The reason I say this is because I know of other places that are extremely diverse, have some of the highest test scores imaginable, are very low in crime, and the real estate prices reflect this being 2-3 X higher than the next county over because it's so sought after.

As far as the sense of community aspect though, yes it does make it more difficult to find common ground when everybody is coming from so many different traditions. It may be possible to have some sense of community but people have to work that much harder and have a little patience/open mindedness with each other (sometimes very rare) for it to happen. And that's not limited to race/ethnicity.

The real upside to having a diverse community, when people behave as they should, is that people broaden their horizons seeing for themselves how people different from them really are rather than isolating themselves and sponging up all the garbage and stereotypes/propaganda/misinformation that spews out of the media and Washington about what "diversity" is. Tribalism separates people based on their family status (singles, marrieds with kids), their political affiliation, their educational attainment, level of wealth, etc. People really have to mindful of human nature's natural inertia seek out people that look and talk like "one of us". If they're willing to put in the effort though I think that makes them a more interesting person who can talk about more than what's going on in their small circle.

But sometimes a diverse crowd gives people a good impression and sometimes not because ultimately people are people and some are jerks/criminals (the examples you've given) but sometimes they're saints regardless of how diverse a crowd there is. The thing people do have to be careful about, though, even when seeing something first hand is assuming characteristics about an entire population based on interactions with one or a few people.

Last edited by Jowel; 04-22-2019 at 06:09 AM.. Reason: Grammar and clarity

Old 04-22-2019, 05:58 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,112,639 times
We are an interracial couple. Enough said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies