Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2019, 11:14 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
And abortion is NOT federally funded. Relevant info: Since 1976, the Hyde Amendment has blocked federal Medicaid funding for abortion services (since 1994, there have been three extremely narrow exceptions: when continuing the pregnancy will endanger the woman’s life, or when the pregnancy results from rape or incest). This means Medicaid cannot cover abortion even when a woman’s health is at risk and her doctor recommends she get an abortion.
You might want to rethink that:

"Based on information from a variety of government and private sources, CBO estimates that Planned Parenthood receives approximately $450 million annually in federal funds. Of that amount, roughly $390 million is provided through the Medicaid program and less than $1 million is provided through the Children’s Health Insurance Program and the Medicare program combined. The remaining amount, approximately $60 million, is provided through the National Family Planning Program, which operates under Title X of the Public Health Service Act (commonly referred to as Title X). Funding for that latter program is subject to appropriation." https://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/fi...parenthood.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 11:39 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
It needs repeating and repeating: The ability of a woman to have control of her body is critical to civil rights. Take away her reproductive choice and you step onto a slippery slope. If the government can force a woman to continue a pregnancy, what about forcing a woman to use contraception or undergo sterilization?
This needs repeating too ...

STERILIZED in the Name of Public Health
Race, Immigration, and Reproductive Control in Modern California

"In contrast to the operations carried out at state institutions beginning in 1909, these procedures were financed by federal agencies that began to disperse funds in conjunction with the family planning initiatives of the War on Poverty, launched by President Lyndon B. Johnson in 1964."

Franchising Abortion and Sterilization: Population Control Activists Descend on India

"Think of franchises, and McDonald’s or Starbucks springs to mind. But how about franchising clinics that do abortions and sterilizations?

The population control movement has thought of this too. In the developing world, so-called “reproductive health clinics” are spreading like fast food chains in America through a network of organizations that want abortion and birth control drugs as readily available as a slurpee at 7 Eleven."

Old 05-16-2019, 12:58 AM

1,349 posts, read 663,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Society no longer has those character traits and we've been screwed up I know for the last 30 years. Divorce rate use to be 4 out of 5. And we don't want to take responsibility for our actions either.

When men and women can't stand to be in the same room with one another for more than 5 minutes, kind of makes it tough to get married and raise kids.
I don't understand anything of that?

Divorce rate use(d) to be 4 out of 5 ? Where do you get that number? And "used to be" seems to convey the idea it's not true anymore? (never was actually)

In what world do you live that men and women can't stand to be with one another for more than 5 minutes ?

I admit I'm always very confused as to US's way of "boys nights", "girls nights" etc, we don't do things like that here (just as "dating" is a very strange concept to us).

But even then, do you truly think what you wrote ? Is this what you are living? Because if it is, I'm truly sorry for you. Not in a snarky way or anything, it is saddening, I think.

Men and women are incredible forces, by themselves and together.

Old 05-16-2019, 01:36 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Women can and should control their body and should be encouraged to not expose it to possible pregnancies they don't want because, legal abortion or not, there are always consequences.

Old 05-16-2019, 06:16 AM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Slavery was legal too. Is that your argument that legality means an act is OK? I hope not.

The bible said slavery was acceptable which made the justification of it existing in America much stronger. And many pro lifers use the words of the bible to justify their anti abortion views.

Perhaps its time to split this country up. One can be a theocracy where those inclined can their lives at one with their christian god. And the other country can be for those living in the 21 century. I see no other resolution to the vast differences that exist here today.

Old 05-16-2019, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Society no longer has those character traits and we've been screwed up I know for the last 30 years. Divorce rate use to be 4 out of 5. And we don't want to take responsibility for our actions either.

When men and women can't stand to be in the same room with one another for more than 5 minutes, kind of makes it tough to get married and raise kids.

It must be tough for you living in a world where women can drive and vote. As well as file for divorce or get an abortion.

I can imagine that with the stuff you are saying most women could not stand 5 minutes around you but most of us guys do not have that problem.

Old 05-16-2019, 06:28 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
The bible said slavery was acceptable which made the justification of it existing in America much stronger. And many pro lifers use the words of the bible to justify their anti abortion views.

Perhaps its time to split this country up. One can be a theocracy where those inclined can their lives at one with their christian god. And the other country can be for those living in the 21 century. I see no other resolution to the vast differences that exist here today.
I'm confused. Why are you bringing up religion? I'm not. I'm not religious. I know abortion is wrong. I don't need a book to tell me that killing someone because you feel like it is wrong.

Do you have an argument without a religious crutch?

Old 05-16-2019, 06:29 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Quote:

Both abortion rates and divorce rates have been trending down, the former in particular over the last 30 years.

Thanks for playing.

Old 05-16-2019, 06:33 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Both abortion rates and divorce rates have been trending down, the former in particular over the last 30 years.

Thanks for playing.
Abortion rates have been trending DOWN over the last 30 years?

In 2014: 20% of all pregnancies were aborted. 1 out of 5.
In 2014: 40% of all unintended pregnancies were aborted. 2 out of 5.

So you believe that 30 years ago MORE than 20% of pregnancies ended in abortion?

I don't think you are playing at all. Go get some facts and come back.

Old 05-16-2019, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I'm confused. Why are you bringing up religion? I'm not. I'm not religious. I know abortion is wrong. I don't need a book to tell me that killing someone because you feel like it is wrong.

Do you have an argument without a religious crutch?

Almost all pro lifers have a "book" that tells them abortion is wrong and that's really their only basis for opposing it. Because they believe god made all life and all life is precious and humans are at the top of the list and very special to god. If you are really the outlier to that well that is interesting.

So for someone not to believe the above and believe evolution is the reason we ended up here today then are likely to believe human life is one life among all that exists on this planet and not something that needs to be protected at all costs. Because stepping on a roach running across your kitchen floor is no different than abortion because there is nothing special about human life.

So you are atheist and anti abortion, did I get that right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies