Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 01:12 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times

Advertisements

Harris isn't full on in on allowing all prisoners to get a vote.

She says thinks we should have that conversation.

That's not a a full on endorsement -- that's a -- meh worth listening to....maybe we discuss what type of prisoners get to vote.

Small but relevant distinction there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 01:22 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
First, why is voter ID a bad thing? It proves who you are. I've been asked for ID when using a credit card, going to the bank and purchasing a gun.

Which groups are you referring to? Are you saying that some groups of people can't figure the ID issue out?

Proving your address is critical for local voting. Plus that is how almost every precinct is configured. But I'll give you this one. Now that voter ID and and electronic confirmation of who you are get more popular, go vote at any polling place in a statewide or national election and it should count.

If you are not a citizen then you don't vote. If I move to another country I would not expect to vote until I met all of the legal requirements. The law shouldn't change to me, I should meet the requirements of the law.

Voting doesn't ask your religion, your ancestry, your beliefs or which public restroom you use. It does ask you to prove who you are and most of the time, that will also prove you are a citizen.

I want every citizen walking free to have a vote. I don't care what you did in the past. If society said you did your time, then all of your rights should be returned to you. On the other hand, if society can't trust you then you should not be free to roam among the rest of the population. While incarcerated, certain rights are put on hold.
Problem with specific voter ID in some states was the requirements for ID etc. You had elderly who were born at times in communities where there wasn't the formal record keeping. So their birth certificates and subsequent back up forms were not being allowed to be used for voter ID purposes. And unfortunately -- by design or by accident (I will go with the benefit of the doubt here) -- this was happening mainly in communities with black voters. It seemed to be targeted -- maybe not on purpose -- but most definitely that was the result. So in those areas, you would have hoped that Republicans or Democrats would have realized the demands being put on American citizens to prove their citizenship.....and perhaps work in those communities to adjust legislation....make amendments. But that wasn't happening. They just weren't allowed to vote. That continued to happen in 2018.

I do think voter ID is not a bad thing, always bring mine and rarely get asked for it. I just give my name and they hand me a thingy to go to the ballot box. Funny how that is.

A DEAD-SIMPLE ALGORITHM REVEALS THE TRUE TOLL OF VOTER ID LAWS
https://www.wired.com/story/voter-id-law-algorithm/

Voter ID laws: A comprehensive fix for a fake problem

https://www.ntdaily.com/voter-id-law...-fake-problem/

Old 04-23-2019, 01:23 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,339,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
First, why is voter ID a bad thing? It proves who you are. I've been asked for ID when using a credit card, going to the bank and purchasing a gun.

Which groups are you referring to? Are you saying that some groups of people can't figure the ID issue out?

Proving your address is critical for local voting. Plus that is how almost every precinct is configured. But I'll give you this one. Now that voter ID and and electronic confirmation of who you are get more popular, go vote at any polling place in a statewide or national election and it should count.

If you are not a citizen then you don't vote. If I move to another country I would not expect to vote until I met all of the legal requirements. The law shouldn't change to me, I should meet the requirements of the law.

Voting doesn't ask your religion, your ancestry, your beliefs or which public restroom you use. It does ask you to prove who you are and most of the time, that will also prove you are a citizen.

I want every citizen walking free to have a vote. I don't care what you did in the past. If society said you did your time, then all of your rights should be returned to you. On the other hand, if society can't trust you then you should not be free to roam among the rest of the population. While incarcerated, certain rights are put on hold.
I agree. What’s stopping my friends from Europe and Australia here on vacation from voting if we don’t implement voter ID? None. Democrats think getting an ID is like buying a car or home. Lol.

We all know why Democrats don’t want voter ID. They really believe Americans are stupid.

Old 04-23-2019, 01:28 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Harris isn't full on in on allowing all prisoners to get a vote.

She says thinks we should have that conversation.
In other words she for it, but she knows it's political suicide to actually admit it.

She's certainly being schooled by Hillary Clinton's people.

Old 04-23-2019, 01:30 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
Problem with specific voter ID in some states was the requirements for ID etc. You had elderly who were born at times in communities where there wasn't the formal record keeping. So their birth certificates and subsequent back up forms were not being allowed to be used for voter ID purposes. And unfortunately -- by design or by accident (I will go with the benefit of the doubt here) -- this was happening mainly in communities with black voters. It seemed to be targeted -- maybe not on purpose -- but most definitely that was the result. So in those areas, you would have hoped that Republicans or Democrats would have realized the demands being put on American citizens to prove their citizenship.....and perhaps work in those communities to adjust legislation....make amendments. But that wasn't happening. They just weren't allowed to vote. That continued to happen in 2018.

I do think voter ID is not a bad thing, always bring mine and rarely get asked for it. I just give my name and they hand me a thingy to go to the ballot box. Funny how that is.
'

Congress has already made Real ID the law of the land. So those concerns are irrelevant. The same documentation applies.

Old 04-23-2019, 01:30 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,034,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

We all should get a vote.

Except for those felons who have forfeited their right to vote following administration of due process, of course. There is obviously no compelling reason to permit those who, by virtue of their felonious acts, have demonstrated an utter and complete contempt for the civil society, to influence the established social order by exercising a franchise they obviously did not care about in the first place.

Old 04-23-2019, 01:45 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
You say this because these animals will most likely vote for a Democrat because Democrats care more about murderers and rapists than they do victims of murders and rape.
Another fine example of concrete thinking.

Chances are most people in Boston do not agree with Bernie's remark. Nonetheless, most will vote for the Democrat nominee.

Those running for president say a lot of dumb things. I like to think some of them regret some of their words, at a later point in time.

Old 04-23-2019, 01:46 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,481 times
Quote:

A DEAD-SIMPLE ALGORITHM REVEALS THE TRUE TOLL OF VOTER ID LAWS
https://www.wired.com/story/voter-id-law-algorithm/

Voter ID laws: A comprehensive fix for a fake problem

https://www.ntdaily.com/voter-id-law...-fake-problem/
So these elderly blacks never had a driver's license? Did they never have business with a bank? Did they never go to a liquor store? Did they never cash a check?

This is same argument that is brought up as a reason against voter ID. Are there any actual numbers on this? I'm sure the number of people is so small that the states or even local precincts could easily research the handful of people who fall into your group.

Old 04-23-2019, 01:47 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Miteybad View Post
Except for those felons who have forfeited their right to vote following administration of due process, of course. There is obviously no compelling reason to permit those who, by virtue of their felonious acts, have demonstrated an utter and complete contempt for the civil society, to influence the established social order by exercising a franchise they obviously did not care about in the first place.
Are these people allowed to mingle among the peaceful citizens? Do you believe that people can be rehabilitated?

Old 04-23-2019, 02:02 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,608,104 times
I can get behind restoring voting rights for non-violent offenders once someone has served their time and is out, but this is a bridge too far. You don’t get to keep all your rights to participate in society if you’ve wreaked havoc on days society by committing heinous crimes. Imprisonment is to REMOVE you from society, so what purpose does it serve to allow someone with a life sentence/no parole to vote from jail? Unless it pertains to prison conditions and/or sentencing, they’re not actually living under most of the laws that affect daily life. What’s next—-setting up polling locations inside prisons and staging debates there? People that have raped and murdered children, slit their wives’ throats, set their own offspring on fire, gunned down elderly worshippers in church, etc. do not deserve this right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies