Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 08:50 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
The reason why majority of black families are below the poverty line is that 70 percent of all black women in America are single mothers. Having a shamika who is a college educated woman who works as a health care technician living outside of NYC making a salary is 70k a year will not go far if she has to feed her 3 kids Tyrone, starasia and Quan. Unless the state intervenes and forces child support on the ex boyfriend or husband.

That is a superficial analysis.

Data shows that married men make more money than anyone else. Thus, would you recommend that the problem for men with low income, or who are unemployed, can be or would be resolved by simply saying "I Do" (getting married)? I read a study once, several years back, that said that families that ate together at the dinner table had children that become more successful adults. So, if you want your kids to be successful, if they are heading down the wrong path, having them eat dinner as a family would resolve it?

You conservatives like to DEFLECT by obfuscating SYMPTOMS as root causes and correlations as causation. Ergo, single parent families is a SYMPTOM of black socioeconomic struggles, NOT THE CAUSE OF IT. Simply increasing the rate of marriage as a solution (born from incorrectly seeing the lack of marriage as the root cause), would not resolve the socioeconomic inequality between blacks and whites, but deflect from the REAL reasons black socioeconomic is out of line.

It's just silly logic. If most bank robbers wear hats.....does wearing a hat increase a persons odds of robbing a bank? That is conservative reasoning, when applied to other phenomenon that has nothing to do with RACE. Race totally disrupts the reasoning of the minds of conservative due to the fact that everything has to comport to their mantras. Cognitive dissonance at its finest.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:48 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post

4. This is why you keep asking me this question. As though everyone else did it by themselves, why not black people? They didn't do it by themselves. They also don't have our history and current day place at the bottom of our American caste system. No I don't believe we can come up without government help because, for one, we have no protection. Even if we built our own private sectors from scratch, which would be the very first time anyone has ever done such a thing in the history of this country, perhaps the world, white capitalism and our government will burn it all down to the ground. You say history shows that government never helped us before, but I say to you that same history tells us they will attack anything we manage to build, and burn it to the ground.

On this:

I don't care about other people or what they did.

However, I have a great degree of love and respect for my people. I know that we are hardworking people. We are intelligent people. We are creative people. We have very tight families and extended families. We are involved in our community at a higher level than other demographics and we have a genuine care and concern for each other. We also have increase in our income in the past 50 years to where we can save $60 a year and contribute to the betterment of our entire demographic.

I have no qualms about the abilities of my people.

My question to you is about your own view of our people. Do you think we are incapable of saving our own money and helping our own people?

For whatever answer, why or why not (and don't mention white people or compare us to them or any other group in answering - I don't care what white people or other people have. I care about us and what we have and what we can do and it seems you are more focused on outside of our demographic than inside as you are focused more on whites and other groups than black people and what we can do and are capable of).

Old 05-15-2019, 09:57 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post

Data shows that married men make more money than anyone else. Thus, would you recommend that the problem for men with low income, or who are unemployed, can be or would be resolved by simply saying "I Do" (getting married)? I read a study once, several years back, that said that families that ate together at the dinner table had children that become more successful adults. So, if you want your kids to be successful, if they are heading down the wrong path, having them eat dinner as a family would resolve it?

You conservatives like to DEFLECT by obfuscating SYMPTOMS as root causes and correlations as causation. Ergo, single parent families is a SYMPTOM of black socioeconomic struggles, NOT THE CAUSE OF IT. Simply increasing the rate of marriage as a solution (born from incorrectly seeing the lack of marriage as the root cause), would not resolve the socioeconomic inequality between blacks and whites, but deflect from the REAL reasons black socioeconomic is out of line.

It's just silly logic. If most bank robbers wear hats.....does wearing a hat increase a persons odds of robbing a bank? That is conservative reasoning, when applied to other phenomenon that has nothing to do with RACE. Race totally disrupts the reasoning of the minds of conservative due to the fact that everything has to comport to their mantras. Cognitive dissonance at its finest.
Superficial comment and you called me a conservative. That's the first. I'm a liberal. I'm just telling you like it is. My question is this. Why are 70 percent of black American women are not married?

Old 05-15-2019, 10:01 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,421,908 times
The little information I know about ADOS, it appears to be a very divisive and negative movement to some folks.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Superficial comment and you called me a conservative. That's the first. I'm a liberal. I'm just telling you like it is. My question is this. Why are 70 percent of black American women are not married?

Actually by age 40 over 70% of black women have been married.

About 65% of black women are married in general.

Your 70% figure is only for births of black children to single mothers and is not inclusive of marriage rates/percentages as a whole. Black women get married at a later age than other women, often after the birth of their children. Nearly all of my black female friends/family members who are married, we all had children by our husbands prior to getting married.

And FWIW I'm married (to a black man). We shacked up for 7 years after our son was born before we got married. So I'm included in that 70% from 16 years ago lol. But I went home with my now husband and we got married before our 2nd child was born.

We both primarily worked after our son was 2 years old and when I stopped working around the time I got pregnant with our daughter, our household income dramatically decreased because I made a bit more money than he did at that time.

Getting into people's personal business is not all that useful IMO for discussions on black family structure. As I noted above, many black people are single "on paper" or live along on paper but aren't in reality with their children. Statistics should never be taken as 100% proof of a situation.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:38 AM

2,417 posts, read 1,447,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On this:

I don't care about other people or what they did.

However, I have a great degree of love and respect for my people. I know that we are hardworking people. We are intelligent people. We are creative people. We have very tight families and extended families. We are involved in our community at a higher level than other demographics and we have a genuine care and concern for each other. We also have increase in our income in the past 50 years to where we can save $60 a year and contribute to the betterment of our entire demographic.

I have no qualms about the abilities of my people.

My question to you is about your own view of our people. Do you think we are incapable of saving our own money and helping our own people?

For whatever answer, why or why not (and don't mention white people or compare us to them or any other group in answering - I don't care what white people or other people have. I care about us and what we have and what we can do and it seems you are more focused on outside of our demographic than inside as you are focused more on whites and other groups than black people and what we can do and are capable of).

I don't doubt what we can do. That's never been my issue. In fact I always said that we do what we can, particularly on an individual level. So if it's saving money, good. If it's getting an education, good. If it's smart investing when and where you can, that's good to. We've been doing those things since the end of slavery.

I know we are capable of saving money in comparison to income. Studies show that in some cases, we save the most.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post

ITA with the bold. Anytime I see the single parent/out of wedlock thing brought up - it wreaks of ignorance and/or deflection.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
I don't doubt what we can do. That's never been my issue. In fact I always said that we do what we can, particularly on an individual level. So if it's saving money, good. If it's getting an education, good. If it's smart investing when and where you can, that's good to. We've been doing those things since the end of slavery.

I know we are capable of saving money in comparison to income. Studies show that in some cases, we save the most.

On the bold, we have not been able to do them like we can today since the end of slavery.

So I'd add that if you believe we are capable of funding our own programs via our income, then why are you so invested in a reparations "movement" like ADOS?

Is it just to get revenge (to get back whitey)? Because for me, based on both of us knowing and agreeing we can do it ourselves, I see no reason for the conferences and talks and feel it would be better to just do it ourselves.

If I were a social media maven like these folks involved, I would do a campaign to fund a national program for black people in America. Umar Johnson got over $250k last I looked for his school he never even opened lol. If he could get all that by lying, a real organization could get more especially by appealing to all of black America.

You should review some lectures by Dr. Amos Wilson on black wealth and how wealth building is a part of black/African culture. He speaks on how to accomplish this in one of his lectures. I'll have to look it up. I read a lot of his books when I was younger and they spoke to me regarding wealth building in particular because it was thought provoking about the real actions people can take to improve their family and community by themselves versus waiting or begging for whites/government to do it for them (then being indebted/used by whites/government because of their "generosity").

Old 05-15-2019, 11:01 AM

2,417 posts, read 1,447,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On the bold, we have not been able to do them like we can today since the end of slavery.

So I'd add that if you believe we are capable of funding our own programs via our income, then why are you so invested in a reparations "movement" like ADOS?

Is it just to get revenge (to get back whitey)? Because for me, based on both of us knowing and agreeing we can do it ourselves, I see no reason for the conferences and talks and feel it would be better to just do it ourselves.

If I were a social media maven like these folks involved, I would do a campaign to fund a national program for black people in America. Umar Johnson got over $250k last I looked for his school he never even opened lol. If he could get all that by lying, a real organization could get more especially by appealing to all of black America.

You should review some lectures by Dr. Amos Wilson on black wealth and how wealth building is a part of black/African culture. He speaks on how to accomplish this in one of his lectures. I'll have to look it up. I read a lot of his books when I was younger and they spoke to me regarding wealth building in particular because it was thought provoking about the real actions people can take to improve their family and community by themselves versus waiting or begging for whites/government to do it for them (then being indebted/used by whites/government because of their "generosity").

There in lies the problem. You think we are more free today than we were back then. What I stated is I don't doubt our abilities to do things like saving money. That is all I said. We are not going to overcome the legacy of slavery and Jim Crow by saving and investing. The second lawmakers see we are organizing in the way you dream about, they will find a way to break it up through laws. They will say we are breaking some of kind of zoning law if we tried to establish a Black Wall Street type community. They will raise property taxes if we began investing in black communities, which that is what gentrification does. You need to deal with the bully in the room, not ignore him.

If you tried a campaign that brought in money from black America that was actually helping the community, the government would then hit that campaign with fraud claims. Which would then in turn cause black people to become weary of it, seeing as how they don't have a lot of money to invest anyway. (Our median income is around 38-40K a year)

Old 05-15-2019, 11:34 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times
Quote:

If someone asked me how I got my "good job", if I told them that I sent them my resume, that would be factually "telling it like it is", but superficial. Here is the question. What created the events on my resume and over what period of time? My resume is the CULMINATION of my experiences OVERTIME. Hence, what got me the "good job" was my experiences over time.....NOT THE FACT THAT I SENT MY RESUME. My superficial answer implies that if anyone sent in a resume, they could get a good job too. Ergo, if people would just get married, they and their children can get out of poverty. It's SUPERFICIAL!!! It ignores the details of individual lives.

I am not going to answer why 70 percent of African American women are not married, because its not just a single cause. I will say this, however. Since the 60's, the rate of single parent births and single parents has risen just as fast among whites, if not faster, than the rates for blacks. In other words, the GROWTH of single parent homes is not endemic to African American, but rather, an American cultural phenomenon. The DIFFERENCE between the black rate and the white rate is not related to the GROWTH of the rates since the 60's. Hence, its the conditions that blacks endured prior to and up to the 60's, that created much higher rates for African Americans then, that is the root cause of the difference in the rates today.

It's just like stock. If I brought 100 shares of a stock in 1960 and you brought 500 shares and the stock value has grown much since then, the value of your stock will be much greater than mine only because back in 1960 you purchased more than me. The answer to why you have more stock value today than me is NOT rooted in today, but what happened in the 60's when you purchased 5 times more than me. It is the same for out of wedlock births. That has grown for both black and whites since the 60's, but the reason that blacks have more of it today is due to what existed for blacks in the 60's that resulted in blacks having much higher rates of out of wedlock births back then.

I think you know what was going on in America up to that point.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 05-15-2019 at 11:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies