Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 04:38 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,222,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
They have, but I'm enjoying it. LOL. In the past, I think Black Americans have been far too accepting of other groups - what with pan-Africanism, "one-drop" blackness, and the "black and brown" delusion. Now that's coming to an end. If you're not of ADOS pedigree, with two black parents, you don't qualify. You cannot represent us."Next!"

It's becoming politically relevant too, and people are questioning everybody's origins. Kamala Harris recently got her whole background scrutinized LOL . She's not going to be able to run as a black candidate. She's not ADOS.
Kamala has one parent who would be ADOS but she is Bi-Racial. It’s crazy, I didn’t know she was bi-racial initially. She just looks like a black Creole to me (Louisiana boy here). Lots of black Creoles in California from the great migration. I have first cousins lighter than her and both of their parents are black. Unless one knows her personally or of her background, she just appears to be another black woman.

Old 04-24-2019, 04:43 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,223,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Kamala has one parent who would be ADOS but she is Bi-Racial.
Nope. LOL. She's 0% ADOS. Her father is a Jamaican and her mother is South East-Asian. She's got nothing to do with us.

Old 04-24-2019, 04:45 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Kamala has one parent who would be ADOS but she is Bi-Racial. It’s crazy, I didn’t know she was bi-racial initially. She just looks like a black Creole to me (Louisiana boy here). Lots of black Creoles in California from the great migration. I have first cousins lighter than her and both of their parents are black. Unless one knows her personally or of her background, she just appears to be another black woman.
Kamala Harris like me are non ados. Kamala Harris mother is half Asian Indian, and her father is a mulatto from Jamaica. The only thing that binds kamala Harris to black America is her attending an hbcu. And yes non blacks have been attending hbcus for decades.

Old 04-24-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Nope. LOL. She's 0% ADOS. Her father is a Jamaican and her mother is South East-Asian. She's got nothing to do with us.
I did not know that. So she’s Blasian. But I would like to ask a question. Do you realize that the U.S. is not the first place in the Americas that slave ships landed? The story is rather similar in the West Indies.

Old 04-24-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Kamala Harris like me are non ados. Kamala Harris mother is half Asian Indian, and her father is a mulatto from Jamaica. The only thing that binds kamala Harris to black America is her attending an hbcu. And yes non blacks have been attending hbcus for decades.
Yes they have. In fact two come to mind that are predominantly white today: Bluefield State College and WVSU.

Old 04-24-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
I did not know that. So she’s Blasian. But I would like to ask a question. Do you realize that the U.S. is not the first place in the Americas that slave ships landed? The story is rather similar in the West Indies.
No. ADOS means the descendants of American slaves. People with roots in the United States back to colonial times.

It eliminates all ambiguities.

Old 04-24-2019, 05:01 PM

I know what it’s referring to, but I did want to shine light on similar stories in other areas of the Americas. So what would their classification if they were born here but are first generation? Do they get a new identity too?

Old 04-24-2019, 05:05 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times
Quote:
The ADOS movement is something isn't it? It started to distinguish black descendants of slaves from foreign black people. I get it. There's some truth to the movement, such as foreign blacks wanting to jump on the struggle that ADOS endured and only wanting to unite when it's convenient for them (some nationalities more than others). That said, my critique of this movement comes is the same for most other "pro-black" movements. The minute you disagree with them about anything (it could be something as minor as the color of the sky), you are a "sell out." Like most movements of this sort, they get hijacked.

Where do you stand on this movement?

How do you feel about reparations?

Have you faced discrimination from Black immigrants as an ADOS individual?

Do you think that there's some legitimacy to this movement or do you feel that this is just another divide and conquer tactic?

Look forward to hearing from you.
Affirmative action was supposed to be for blacks and it was mostly used by white women and non-European foreigners that migrated to America.

BTW, I know many migrants from Nigeria that look down on black Americans. Most are incredibly accomplished and very smart.

Old 04-24-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
I know what it’s referring to, but I did want to shine light on similar stories in other areas of the Americas. So what would their classification if they were born here but are first generation? Do they get a new identity too?
They can call themselves whatever they want, but they're not ever going to be ADOS, irrespective of how many generations their immigrant family has been in the United States.

That's the beauty of the term. It's specific heritage. "Black American" and "African-American" are both ambiguous.

Old 04-24-2019, 05:07 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times
Quote:
I am pretty sure Elizabeth Warren is 1% black. What is the cut off point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies