Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 12:27 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Here is my take on this #Ados movement. The ADOS movement comes from a position of weakness. Why weakness? It seems that the ADOS are begging for the white liberals to hand over what is owe. Yes I do agree with reparations, but to force others to pay for things that they have not committed is just wrong. I love black Americans, I love their history, food, cultural contributions and together is part of the American fabric and what makes us a great nation. But for the ADOS movement to attack black immigrants like Afro Latinos, Caribbeans and Africans is just wrong. The ADOS community should put blame on the US Government which allowed Caribbean, African and Afro Latinos to exploit and take advantage of government programs and handouts which are only designed for black Americans and lesser extent poor whites.

Where do I stand on the #Ados movement. I do support some sort of reparations to be given to black Americans, but I don't support the ADOS movement.

How do I feel about reparations? I don't think the reparations should be monetary? Why? Giving money for reparations would balloon the federal deficit. Also who gets reparations? 1/4 white Americans have a black slave ancestor in America. Should white Americans receive reparations for having black slave descendents. Should wealthy blacks receive money for reparations even though they have wealth and money. Also who pays? Whites own slaves, blacks owned slaves, native American owned slaves, African sold slaves to the British. These are questions that the #ADOS community must ask.

ADOS movement is a divide and conquer tactic. I have seen stupid stuff on social media where black -Americans befriended Caribbean's, afro Latinos and Africans for not being black Americans. Their was a time when black Caribbean's, Afro Latinos, Black Americans and Africans came together for black causes. Now with ADOS, black Americans hope that Trump deport black immigrants back to where they came from. Plenty of ADOS types sound just like Donald Trump supporters. Also ADOS supporters tend to be racist and xenophobic themselves. The reason why ADOS can be racist and xenophobic is that their racist white liberal allies allow pro blacks to speak their voice and use hate speech, while other groups such as Alt-Right and white nationalist are not allowed to used hate speech or face repercussions.

I'll note I agree on the bold. I also don't think reparations will ever happen. I honestly would rather create a nationwide community group that is founded and lead by black people that takes care of our own and doesn't involve any sort of government program at all.

Blue is why I think ADOS is Russian Trolls.

Old 04-25-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Here's the thing though. No one alive today including our government officials of today had anything to do with the past. Those people are all dead now. If these victim groups go after our government then they are going after mainstream Americans to because if there are any monetary reparations made guess who will have to pay for it?

Even these victim groups weren't alive back then it was their ancestors that were. The past and those people are all gone now. It's time to move on.

There are people alive to day that killed or raped black people in the 1940s-1960s and didn't get punished. There are also government officials alive today who stole land and property from black people and never compensated them for it or abused/terrorized them.

Four little girls were killed in Birmingham in 1963 but 5 were actually harmed in the bombing. One is still alive. She deserves compensation IMO and the State of Alabama actually has a program that provides medical and monetary assistance to crime victims, but specifically excluded the 1940s-1960s era victims from receiving any of that assistance because that would be too many black people to compensate.

Old 04-25-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
Remember Family Guy where Peter finds out he has a black ancestor? Make the descendents of slave owners pay the descendents of slaves. My ancestors were northern Abolitionists and Huguenots.

Where did they live?

I have deep roots in the north and am very much aware of the fact that white mobs often attacked and killed black people or destroyed their homes. One of my ancestor's first husband's was shot in the back and murdered by 3 white men in MI in the late 19th century and they were never convicted. In Ohio before the Civil War blacks would pool money together and start schools in small black towns and whites would attack and burn down the school because they didn't want black children to be educated.

Most white northerners do not have a deep knowledge of black history or even the abolitionist movement. Most white abolitionist also believed that blacks were inferior as well. And many Huguenots were slave owners or involved in some way in the slave trade.

Old 04-25-2019, 12:39 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
There are people alive to day that killed or raped black people in the 1940s-1960s and didn't get punished. There are also government officials alive today who stole land and property from black people and never compensated them for it or abused/terrorized them.

Four little girls were killed in Birmingham in 1963 but 5 were actually harmed in the bombing. One is still alive. She deserves compensation IMO and the State of Alabama actually has a program that provides medical and monetary assistance to crime victims, but specifically excluded the 1940s-1960s era victims from receiving any of that assistance because that would be too many black people to compensate.
Do you know how many white people are attacked in Chicago by black folks who aren't being punished? Should they get reparations?

Old 04-25-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Do you know how many white people are attacked in Chicago by black folks who aren't being punished? Should they get reparations?

I expect better of you....

Anyone who is a crime victim today, especially a white victim of a black person, they will find them and punish them and the victims will be eligible for programs that will assist them.

We are speaking of history here. The specific terrorism and oppression inflicted upon black people in Chicago over the 20th century is one of the reasons as well for Chicago's problem with crime if you want to go there. Martin Luther King Jr., himself said white Chicagoans were more racist and scary than white Mississippians.

ETA: and whites in Chicago have not endured systematic oppression for over 100 years.....so no they do not deserve reparations.

Old 04-25-2019, 01:01 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Where did they live?

I have deep roots in the north and am very much aware of the fact that white mobs often attacked and killed black people or destroyed their homes. One of my ancestor's first husband's was shot in the back and murdered by 3 white men in MI in the late 19th century and they were never convicted. In Ohio before the Civil War blacks would pool money together and start schools in small black towns and whites would attack and burn down the school because they didn't want black children to be educated.

Most white northerners do not have a deep knowledge of black history or even the abolitionist movement. Most white abolitionist also believed that blacks were inferior as well. And many Huguenots were slave owners or involved in some way in the slave trade.
Even Abe Lincoln believed blacks are inferior to white people. Plenty of religious sects in America were involved in the slave trade. Muslims, Jews, protestants of all types and Catholics, to even Native American shaman believers. No faith is immune from slavery, even black Baptists owned slaves too.

Old 04-25-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Is that how we're measuring true Americans now? How many generations they go back?

I'm going to remind you of this down the line.

LOL on the blue. Go ahead with the threat I guess. I actually write what I wrote a lot - look up my post history.

Anytime someone says "go back to Africa" here I always say I'm probably "more American" than them since my ancestors have been here since the 1600s. That African Americans have longer ancestry in America than whites and in many ways are "more American" than whites due to this.

Not sure why you take it as something to threaten to "remind" me about when I say it all the time lol.

ETA: I also say "this is MY country." I love my country BTW and I love that I have deep American ancestry. Just for your enjoyment, one of my new favorite songs. Gary Clark Jr - This Land (love Gary Clark Jr. - he reminds me of old school black blues artists)

Old 04-25-2019, 01:08 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
LOL on the blue. Go ahead with the threat I guess. I actually write what I wrote a lot - look up my post history.

Anytime someone says "go back to Africa" here I always say I'm probably "more American" than them since my ancestors have been here since the 1600s. That African Americans have longer ancestry in America than whites and in many ways are "more American" than whites due to this.

Not sure why you take it as something to threaten to "remind" me about when I say it all the time lol.
Blacks in America have been in the continental US since 1619. Actually the year 2019 is the 400 year anniversary of the arrival of black slaves from the Caribbean island of Barbados to Virginia.

Old 04-25-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Blacks in America have been in the continental US since 1619. Actually the year 2019 is the 400 year anniversary of the arrival of black slaves from the Caribbean island of Barbados to Virginia.

Blacks were in America in the 1500s. 1619 is the anniversary of the first Africans in the "British" colonies. The Spanish were on this continent. St. Augustine is America's oldest city and there were black people there in the 1500s.

African's Helped Establish America's Oldest City

From the link:
Quote:

[LEFT]When the Spanish conquistador Pedro Menendez founded St. Augustine in 1565, not only were there black members of his crew, but he noted that his arrival had been preceded by free Africans in the French settlement at Fort Caroline, just a few miles north.
Our oldest written records, the Cathedral Parish Archives, list the first birth of a black child here in 1606--thirteen years before many textbooks say that the first blacks on these shores arrived at Jamestown in 1619.[/LEFT]

Old 04-25-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Even Abe Lincoln believed blacks are inferior to white people. Plenty of religious sects in America were involved in the slave trade. Muslims, Jews, protestants of all types and Catholics, to even Native American shaman believers. No faith is immune from slavery, even black Baptists owned slaves too.

I agree, which is why as I noted, I wouldn't focus reparations on slavery. I honestly think it detracts from the conversation on the subject.

The period after slavery ended was more devastating IMO as the violence and oppression didn't allow black people to organically and holistically grow. I was glad that recently Henry Louis Gates did a special on Reconstruction - hopefully more people will watch it and learn about that era. Blacks gained HUGE ground economically and socially and politically within that 10 year span. If Reconstruction had not ended like it did and if especially white supremacy as a political issue wasn't heavily adopted by the white populace all over the country then black people would have a better economic and social position today. That later period from 1878-1980 was worse IMO as it stagnated our demographic for over 100 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies