Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 06:40 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
So when will St Patrick's Day be canceled? It celebrates white privilege, dontcha know!
I thought it was a day for the unable to tan to booze it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2019, 07:24 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
There's no logical or historical reason to celebrate Columbus Day.

Why give credit to a man who never even set foot on the United States?

And, the only reason you give credit to Columbus, is because of your constant economic and military conflicts with Britain.

It was John Cabot who actually discovered North America and set foot on Canada, not Columbus.

The problem is that after the War of Colonial Independence, the Colonies-turned-States, being in constant conflict with Britain were not willing concede that Britain played any role in the founding of the United States.

When the constitutional government was formed, for purposes of political propaganda, the new United States chose to disrespect Britain by choosing Columbus, hence the District of Columbia.

If the US has even an ounce of integrity or credibility left, it will abandon Columbus Day in favor of John Cabot Day.

What about the Italian-Americans?

Won't they feel all empty inside?

Not to worry....John Cabot was actually Italian and his name is the anglicized version of Giovanni Caboto.

If you can explain the logic of worshiping a man who never set foot in North America and who didn't even believe America existed (he thought this was Asia, not the Americas), then do explain.

Otherwise, sheer honesty and historical truth demands that we do away with Columbus Day.
Pretty interesting theory but unfortunately I am not so sure about the history.

Americans were already using the name "Columbia" to describe the New World for generations even while they were still part of the British Empire. In another words before the American Revolution. So the District of Columbia, Columbus, Ohio and Columbia University were not named so much to spite the British, they were named for Columbia, the personification of the New World, which in turn is named for Columbus, the explorer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_(name)

Old 05-04-2019, 12:00 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Pretty interesting theory but unfortunately I am not so sure about the history.

Americans were already using the name "Columbia" to describe the New World for generations even while they were still part of the British Empire. In another words before the American Revolution. So the District of Columbia, Columbus, Ohio and Columbia University were not named so much to spite the British, they were named for Columbia, the personification of the New World, which in turn is named for Columbus, the explorer.
You just refuted your own claim.

The District of Columbia didn't exist until after the constitutional government was formed.

The capital of the United States under the Articles of Confederation and later the federal republic was in New York City, New York. Under the Constitution, the building was renamed Federal Hall (I don't know the original name but I do know the building was used as a customs house to collect taxes on imports and exports). That building was later demolished, but that's where Congress met and that is where the Congress under the Articles decided to hold a convention to create the Constitution, and the District of Columbia was created only after the Constitution was drafted and ratified.

The Northwest Ordinance was enacted in 1787, after the civil war with Britain.

The city of Columbus, Ohio wasn't founded until 1812.

And, Columbia University is really damaging to your claim, because it was originally named King's College and it's name was changed to Columbia in 1784 after the civil war to spite the British and specifically to spite King George who granted the charter to found the college in the first place.

Old 05-04-2019, 12:07 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I understand your general premise, but I disagree with the bolded. Columbus was not trying to get to America in the first place.
Which is exactly why Columbus should be ignored and disregarded and John Cabot should be given credit, since he was actually looking for the Americas and found it.

Cabot was searching for land and found Greenland, which he claimed for Britain.

Cabot believed there was another larger land mass out there and it wasn't Asia. He believed it was something entirely different.

Cabot found it and his boarding party went ashore at Newfoundland, Canada, which he also claimed for Britain.

There's not one single reason to recognize Columbus, but there is 1,001 reason to disregard and ignore him.

Old 05-05-2019, 05:40 AM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
So when will St Patrick's Day be canceled? It celebrates white privilege, dontcha know!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKWjGIlSU9o

People like to inveigh against "white privilege" but do not really know what they want, see Racism, Kate Smith & School Brawls - Which is More Detrimental to Urban Children?

Old 05-05-2019, 09:45 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Really?

Irish and white privilege don't really go together historically.......

Aside from that, obviously, that is for a group of people, and Columbus Day is for one person....

AND it's a Religious holiday, not secular.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-05-2019, 03:23 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
In my judgement, never. It might get some complaints for its alcohol use. Other than that, people are going to celebrate St. Patricks Day. St. Patrick isn't seen as bad. He's not controversial.

Old 05-05-2019, 03:25 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Columbus Day means nothing to me and I don't care if it's cancelled. I don't even celebrate it. I do celebrate St. Patricks Day, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr Day, Christmas, Easter, those holidays mean more to me.

Old 05-07-2019, 12:07 PM

264 posts, read 136,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Which is exactly why Columbus should be ignored and disregarded and John Cabot should be given credit, since he was actually looking for the Americas and found it.

Cabot was searching for land and found Greenland, which he claimed for Britain.

Cabot believed there was another larger land mass out there and it wasn't Asia. He believed it was something entirely different.

Cabot found it and his boarding party went ashore at Newfoundland, Canada, which he also claimed for Britain.

There's not one single reason to recognize Columbus, but there is 1,001 reason to disregard and ignore him.
Cabot discovered nothing. the Tordesillas treaty divided the new continent in 2 in 1494, (before Cabot ever set sail) Spain set claim to all lands west of a meridian 370 leagues west of the cape Verde islands, this meridian will extend pole to pole. all the new lands east will go to portugal.

cabot was just wandering in territory already claimed by Spain.

Spain never enforced those rules as north america was of little value, but it was the dutch the first ones to dare to brake the line.

Last edited by Grabandgo; 05-07-2019 at 12:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies