Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 07:45 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Street beggars aren’t always poor. They are sometimes seen/filmed getting into late model cars parked nearby when they are done panhandling.

yep, too many of these people are scamming the people by looking like homeless people, and the more pathetic they look, the more money they take in from good hearted people. there have been plenty of news stories about his scam over the years. for instance the local NBC station did such a story of a man and his wife. they would each take a center island and beg for money. after several hours of doing this they would leave, get into their nearly new, at the time, $70,000 top of the line mercedes and drive to their $1,000,000 home. turns out they were taking in about $50,000 per year in tax free money, in addition to their other jobs. they were indeed living comfortably.

oh and next time offer them up some food for work, or money for work. chances are they will refuse the offer and demand cash, because it is easier to get cash and do nothing rather than actually work for the money.

Old 05-03-2019, 08:59 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
That is why this thread puzzles me.

Maybe this belongs in Psychology because intellectually we all know the vast majority of parking lot beggars are not homeless or desperate, they just want easy money. I've had them come up to me and shed actual tears, with incredible acting, telling elaborate tales with a ready answer for everything. They got some real theatre talent, they should all go to Hollywood.
Amen.

I bet the people that truly need help would never stand in front of a Walmart or scam people using their children.

I wish there was a way to sort out the hard working people who need temporary help from the lifetime losers.

Old 05-03-2019, 09:15 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
OK, hold the snark....I honestly want to know.

This morning, as I was driving out of the Walmart parking lot (I know....I know....but I can't spend as freely as I once could, given the cost of my Obamacare premiums), I saw a young woman (mid 20s, maybe) holding up a sign that read: "I am pregnant with three other children, and have no home. Please help."

(Standing next to her was a young man, also in his 20s, who I think is probably the father of the latest child. Could also be her husband, and the father of all of them. Not sure.)

Now, here's the question: My federal and local taxes pay for big rent subsidies, Medicaid, free breakfasts and lunches at schools, food stamps for the entire family, cash payments, utilities, public transportation, and so forth. Why is this woman out begging when taxpayers are already providing all these programs?

The only thing I can think of is that she is an illegal immigrant, and her three other children were born before she came here. (This area has a lot of illegal immigrants.)

I seen one of them back about 20 years ago. She would be on the same corner with her little weenie dog.
One day I stop to get gas at the corner store there and watched her cross the street, done for the day before it got hot. Went through the little shopping center parking lot. Finishing up my fueling, here she comes, in a bad ass 70 Chevelle SS, Midnight blue

Old 05-03-2019, 09:19 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Quote:

This morning, as I was driving out of the Walmart parking lot (I know....I know....but I can't spend as freely as I once could, given the cost of my Obamacare premiums), I saw a young woman (mid 20s, maybe) holding up a sign that read: "I am pregnant with three other children, and have no home. Please help."

(Standing next to her was a young man, also in his 20s, who I think is probably the father of the latest child. Could also be her husband, and the father of all of them. Not sure.)

Now, here's the question: My federal and local taxes pay for big rent subsidies, Medicaid, free breakfasts and lunches at schools, food stamps for the entire family, cash payments, utilities, public transportation, and so forth. Why is this woman out begging when taxpayers are already providing all these programs?

The only thing I can think of is that she is an illegal immigrant, and her three other children were born before she came here. (This area has a lot of illegal immigrants.)

Panhandlers are going to panhandle, pure and simple. Has nothing to do with them being able to collect welfare, they have a job...……..panhandling. If you ever go to Daytona Beach Florida, you will see one on almost every street corner, holding signs.

The best one I ever saw there was a guy holding a sign that said " I won't lie.....I need the money for a beer !" At least he is an honest panhandler.

Old 05-03-2019, 09:19 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:

Why assume things are as portrayed on the sign?

She may choose to beg for a living or supplement her income.

She may not have any children.

She may not be pregnant.

She may not be homeless.

Guy may have been her brother or an acquaintance.

Given your curiosity, it might have made more sense to talk to her instead of asking anonymous people, on a forum, to speculate.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 05-03-2019 at 09:37 PM..

Old 05-03-2019, 09:22 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,502,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

She may choose to beg.

She may not be pregnant.

She may not be homeless.

Given your curiosity, it might have made more sense to talk to her instead of asking anonymous people, on a forum, to speculate.
If she would lie on a sign, what would keep her from lying to me directly? Besides, I doubt she'd want to waste time talking to me....she was busy trying to collect money from passing cars.

Old 05-03-2019, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
She now has 17 children and counting.

https://www.wfla.com/news/hillsborou...479/1030504235

Old 05-03-2019, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMO1 View Post
Stuff like this reminds me of why there shouldn't be no federal level welfare, it's too much of a government overreach. That should be left to the states.
The fed provides some of the funding. The states handle the Admin/ case mgt and kick in some $.

Old 05-03-2019, 09:59 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

She may choose to beg for a living or supplement her income.

She may not be pregnant.

She may not be homeless.

You can't solicit charity under false pretenses. That's fraud and it's immoral.

Old 05-03-2019, 10:10 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,576,536 times
These scammers live better than most of us do. She might have been a drug addict, too.

I'd have directed her to the nearest Planned Parenthood and started a GoFundMe for her tubal ligation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies