U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 11:06 AM

10,945 posts, read 4,813,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
The first 3 minutes of your video are basically irrelevant. Just after 3 minutes there's Alabama state representative, a Democrat named John Rogers. John Rogers says the following:

"I'm not about to tell a woman what to do with her body. Some kids are unwanted, so you kill them now or you kill them later. You bring them into the world unwanted and unloved, then you send them to the electric chair"

At 4:07 it says that lawmakers in New York cheered when they passed what the video called a "9 month abortion on demand legislation." It mentions the "Reproductive Health Act," which I looked up online. So far as I can tell, it can be found here: https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2019/s240

The Reproductive Health act appears to make abortion legal up to birth in New York.

At 4:37 it shows the words of a panelist speaking at the "National Abortion Federation Conference in San Francisco." She says some gibberish and it's impossible to tell what she means by that gibberish because the video didn't record what question or comment she was responding to.

At about 5:30 or so there's a winner of the Margaret Sanger award saying the following:

"One of them said 'I don't like saying I'm dismembering a fetus. It makes me feel bad.' Another (person) 'An eyeball just fell into my lap and that is gross' but I say to myself 'this abortion is going well and is gong safely, so I am fine."

The above statement is followed by laughter.

__________________________________________________ ______

Yeah...Earth kind of isn't an ideal place. It's a Darwinian maelstrom of nightmares. A good example of this is that octopi are very clever organisms who die after procreating. They stop eating. Females will sometimes eat the tips of their tentacles and bang themselves into the sides of their tanks to attempt to speed up the dying process faster.

You now how we've escaped from the worst parts of that Darwinian maelstrom though? The parts of it most of life still goes through on a daily basis, blindly and without hope of escaping? Human logic, and our ability to look at things and understand them on a deep level. We need to use our logic, or we'll end up sending people through the same sorts of fate the octopus goes through. Mother Nature is the enemy. She's a blind, mad scientist. She's the one who invented our instincts, and that's why our instincts can be pretty worthless sometimes.

Maybe the information you showed in your video should be widespread, or not. I don't know, and don't I care to think about it much. The point is, if you destroy a fetus before it has a mind, and that fetus had sickle cell anemia, you have just cured a child of sickle cell anemia. There is basically no difference...because the fetus has lost nothing if it has no mind, and the mother could have another child without sickle cell anemia.

I haven't researched this topic enough to know when a fetus has a "mind" or when a fetus has less of a "mind" or why many people seem to have concluded that fetuses probably often can't feel pain before 27 weeks. I've researched it some, but I don't think I need to research it extensively yet because most pro-lifers don't care enough to think about rational issues like that, at least on this forum. They just like repeating "abortion is murder!" over and over again.

What an abortion is, at least in the early stages...but maybe in the later stages too...I don't know...is, basically, the sacrificing of the life of an animal to improve the life of a child...so far as it seems to me. I can't see fetuses, at least in the early stages, being more complex than many of the animals we eat for food.

When you abort a fetus with sickle cell anemia, you are taking the life of an animal to cure a baby, and the child it will turn into, and the adult, from sickle cell anemia. If that's wrong...then there's something wrong with the way we're treating animals.

I think there is something wrong with...not so much with how humans treat animals, but more so having to do with how Mother Nature treats animals. That's why I'd seriously consider the euthanization of every animal on Earth if we had the power, and humans could continue to exist - freeing them from the blind cycle of Darwinian evolution none of them agreed to be born into.

Fetuses don't get the choice of whether or not to come into the world either...but adults can make the choice for them. In fact, we inevitably do.

Death isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's just ceasing to be. Our instincts tell us otherwise...but they were designed by a mad scientist named Mother Nature the Witch god. Mother Nature, that evil witch, insists to us that our duty is to procreate and survive. She's wrong. She's a goddess of illusions. Our powerful drive to procreate and survive exists primarily because it allowed us to do so, to spread our genes. Our true goal...our sensible goal...is to attain pleasure and avoid suffering. Sometimes the easiest way to do that is just to keep beings with many difficult-to-solve problems from ever being born.
This is exactly how I see it. What's the actual purpose of simply procreating and surviving just for the sake of it? I already find it morally iffy to force a human into existence. It's the other side of the coin of taking a life without permission, except at least the one whose life was taken will not regret it after the fact. Meanwhile, there are millions of people in the world wishing they were never born.

The reason murder is considered worse than procreation is because of whether the subject is capable of wanting to object to being murdered or born. Living humans can fear death, but a fetus cannot fear birth.

But by that same token, they also cannot fear being aborted.

Old 05-07-2019, 11:56 AM
Status: "It is the nature of grotesque things you canít look away" (set 27 days ago)

17,988 posts, read 8,117,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
I really don't get how abortion manages to stay a controversial issue.
If you don't like abortions, don't go have one.

I also don't see how making it a legal issue will effect abortions, you guys have heard of airplanes, right?
Well of course.

That's how it used to be - if you could afford foreign travel, you took a "vacation" and got your abortion.

Lots of women can't afford foreign travel. Or even a flight to, say, Oregon, from Alabama.

Old 05-07-2019, 12:15 PM

1,534 posts, read 393,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Pro-abortion Democrats walked out in protest before the final vote was held."

Typical snowflake lib, can dish it out BUT, CAN't take it.
They walked out because Alabama cannot afford to waste one dollar of taxpayers money defending the inevitable lawsuit that is sure to come from this legislation. This is just the kind of populist legislation that Alabama is famous for. Feels good for the Righties but accomplishes nothing except squandering taxpayer dollars.

Old 05-07-2019, 12:21 PM

855 posts, read 139,897 times
Another bill to get challenged and thrown out in court. If the Supreme court stated it is legal, and congress has not changed the law federally, then I don't see how this will stand.

This bill will have a 1 year shelf life, shorter if the bill is stayed by the courts. I don't think it would even make it to the supreme court as they have ruled on this issue several times in the past.

Old 05-07-2019, 12:35 PM

1,534 posts, read 393,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
1. It's not personal when it involves another person.

2. Abortions are rarely performed for medical reasons.

3. It was government interference that legalized abortion on demand.

4. If everyone in the conversation didn't already know abortion is grossly immoral, you wouldn't have to use ridiculous euphemisms like "choice" to avoid calling it what it really is.

I'm probably going to do some grocery shopping today, get the car washed and maybe get the oil changed.

None of those activities are referred to as "financial events," "condition alterations" or "periodic expenditures" because they are not morally repugnant.

See how that works?
Thatís how you perceive abortion.

So donít have one No one is forcing you to do what donít want to do.

Others donít feel the same way you do.

So they can legally have a safe abortion No one is forcing them to have a abortion.

Your choice is not to have one for moral reasons, someone elseís choice is to have one because they donít feel the same way you do.

Why should your moral choice hold sway over another? In America it doesnít.

Old 05-08-2019, 01:24 AM

2,245 posts, read 2,856,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Well of course.

That's how it used to be - if you could afford foreign travel, you took a "vacation" and got your abortion.

Lots of women can't afford foreign travel. Or even a flight to, say, Oregon, from Alabama.
A plane ticket booked a little bit in advance in europe medium distance like 1000~2000 miles with flight taxes, fuel taxes etc added into the mix is what? The price of 8-10 Big mac & Co?
I'm not sure how much an abortion costs, but I'm pretty sure having a kid eats the equivalent pretty quickly.

So if a woman can't afford flying and aborting today, how on earth is she going to afford the kid a few months down the road?

Old 05-11-2019, 02:15 PM

15,121 posts, read 13,355,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
A plane ticket booked a little bit in advance in europe medium distance like 1000~2000 miles with flight taxes, fuel taxes etc added into the mix is what? The price of 8-10 Big mac & Co?
I'm not sure how much an abortion costs, but I'm pretty sure having a kid eats the equivalent pretty quickly.

So if a woman can't afford flying and aborting today, how on earth is she going to afford the kid a few months down the road?
That's just the thing, she can't......so she will go on welfare and the taxpayers will support them.

Alabama....striving to expand the cycle of poverty.

Old 05-14-2019, 08:05 PM

32,666 posts, read 13,808,336 times
Just passed the senate, this will be yet another waste of money and time.

Quote:
MONTGOMERY, Ala. — The Alabama Senate approved a measure on Tuesday that would outlaw almost all abortions in the state, setting up a direct challenge to Roe v. Wade, the case that recognized a woman’s constitutional right to end a pregnancy.
The legislation bans abortions at every stage of pregnancy and criminalizes the procedure for doctors, who could be charged with felonies and face up to 99 years in prison. It includes an exception for cases when the mother’s life is at serious risk, but not for cases of rape or incest — a subject of fierce debate among lawmakers in recent days.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/14/u...w-alabama.html

Old 05-14-2019, 08:38 PM

18,034 posts, read 11,044,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
So I guess our taxes are going to pay for more families on welfare. Nice ��
Exactly. Times a thousand. Alabama, already a taker state, will increase their poor and bill the rest of the country. I don't care what Alabama does, but I don't want to pay for their choices. They should not be able to federalize the costs of this.

Old 05-14-2019, 08:50 PM

14,558 posts, read 8,386,623 times
Wow. Another go nowhere, do nothing bill that won't help living, breathing Alabamans and just wastes taxpayer dollars. That's what they get for voting Republican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or