Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 06:24 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times

Advertisements

I prefer the Borg concept. Diversity is irrelevant, you will assimilate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 06:52 AM

858 posts, read 424,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I couldn't agree more. A country that has lost its core identity has lost its heart and soul and just becomes a mutt nation.

And what is the core identity of the US?

Old 05-06-2019, 08:00 AM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosep View Post
And what is the core identity of the US?
Our language is English just for starters and we aren't known to be a Hispanic, Asian, etc. country culturally nor demographically either. We have those cultures in our country but they are minority ones not mainstream. We have been based on Christian values and we have our own identifying culture that formed from the melting pot. The melting pot however is fast becoming a salad bowl instead with groups dividing themselves culturally and linguistically out in mainstream America.

Old 05-06-2019, 08:06 AM

623 posts, read 233,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallbuilder View Post
If I go Tokyo I can get a true "cultural" experience because its people are 99% Japanese and I can get authentic sushi everywhere. Would Tokyo be better if it were more "multicultural" and there were Mexican and Italian restaurants everywhere? I don't think so. Yet we think that Western cities would be better the more we erase their distinct culture? I heard liberal politicians in NYC are trying to ban hot dogs.
They are trying to force Japan to accept their dosage of multicultism as well....for the most part ONLY Ethnically pure countries are FORCED to accept multicultism....their ultimate goal is to push the native populations out and erase them...its not diversity they want its less non natives they want.

Old 05-06-2019, 08:06 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallbuilder View Post
Are ideas like Diversity and Multiculturalism logically incoherent?
Absolutely not, and actually they are ideas well grounded in concepts like market forces and evolution. Diversity introduces new ideas, concepts, and viewpoints. Invariably many of those things will get incorporated into the larger society as a benefit. You can see concrete examples of this like when gay people move to new places and build up a new community. You then see more art, trendy type restaurants, public spaces etc.. then the rest of the population jumps on the bandwagon and you have a robust economy with broader prosperity (https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/...2-3638.6.2.152).

That's not to say you open the floodgates of immigration which would be ruinous, but it's very healthy to have a portion of your population to be diverse. You cite Japan, but their population is stagnant and receding. That culture is actually dying right now they don't have enough children to support the population. To your point if say Germany & Italy let in 20 million Arab refugees there wouldn't be any Germans or Italians anymore as we know them, but that's not what diversity means. Diversity means being open to new things as a supplement, not as a replacement

Old 05-06-2019, 08:07 AM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Cultures change overtime. The US has always been a beacon for people around the world to come to.

My neighborhood has been hispanic since my dad was a kid. It's slowly becoming full on hipster..
Only Hipsters use words like Hipster.

Old 05-06-2019, 08:08 AM

623 posts, read 233,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
What should be promoted is tolerance, not diversity.
Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society. Aristotle

Old 05-06-2019, 08:11 AM

15,945 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Our language is English just for starters and we aren't known to be a Hispanic, Asian, etc. country culturally nor demographically either. We have those cultures in our country but they are minority ones not mainstream. We have been based on Christian values and we have our own identifying culture that formed from the melting pot. The melting pot however is fast becoming a salad bowl instead with groups dividing themselves culturally and linguistically out in mainstream America.
What about African Americans? Are they part of the core culture or not?

Old 05-06-2019, 08:21 AM

13,944 posts, read 5,615,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Except tolerance has been hijacked by the Left to now mean "to put up with".
I am close to agreeing, but would take it a bit further - "tolerance" as it is now defined by he cultural narrative is forced acceptance, and by force I mean under direct threat of some form of violence/harm.

That which is not forbidden is compulsory, etc.

Old 05-06-2019, 08:54 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
I am close to agreeing, but would take it a bit further - "tolerance" as it is now defined by he cultural narrative is forced acceptance, and by force I mean under direct threat of some form of violence/harm.

That which is not forbidden is compulsory, etc.
Well you can clearly see that in the case of transgender people. It's not enough to just accept them in society they have to lauded and promoted, and if forbid you say you are uncomfortable with cross dressing men in the women's room you are all of a sudden a "hateful" "bigot". It's that sort of thinking that has really pushed people to Trump more than anything else. The key word here is "normalization". If you do not "normalize" the behavior/characteristics currently in favor with the left, then you are marginalized.

What the left doesn't quite understand yet is you're going to have serious problems when you try to marginalize over half the country
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies