U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 07:10 AM

3,280 posts, read 1,301,767 times

Advertisements

Climate Politics Abroad Are Turning Decidedly Skeptical
...or at least that's what appears to be the case where voters get their voice heard.

Another interesting article posted on Anthony Watts' "Watts Up With That" website:
https://wattsupwiththat.com/2019/05/...dly-skeptical/

As always with the threads I start, I would like people to comment on the content of the article and the content of the thread rather than attacking the source or attempting to make character assassinations against the author. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 07:24 AM

11,635 posts, read 8,149,788 times
The article is right. People are growing tired of the Chicken Little, the sky is falling mentality.

Al Gore predicted in his "Inconvenient Truth" movie that the ice caps would be melted, polar bears would be extinct and fish would be swimming through city streets that are now under water. Well it hasn't happened yet so he had to make part 2.
We have politicians such as AOC telling us that the earth will be all done in 12 years.

The fear mongering is ridiculous.

I do believe in climate change as a natural occurrence in the world and I do believe that mankind is affecting it but no where near the rate that the politicians and their hand picked scientists tell us it is.

I also believe that we should think globally and act locally. If we all reduced our waste it would help. If we all promoted renewable energies it would help. The Green New Deal that some Democrats were behind is a ridiculous proposal but maybe we can implement bits of it that will help.

People are becoming weary of the constant grinding of Climate Politics just as so many of us are becoming weary of the constant attacks on our President.
I wonder what we would do with our lives if we didn't have the constant negativity that our elected pile on us?

Old 05-06-2019, 07:25 AM

26,191 posts, read 8,913,327 times
People are starting to relize they are being scamed !!! They are not pleased about it !!!
Thank fully Trump was elected and put up some important roadblocks and stopped the insanity !!!
Trump is effective like that and unaffected by leftist group think.
Democrat policy is ripe with obedience and forced compliance. Gov. mandates !!!

From the link :

Residents in these countries have begun to revolt against the higher energy costs they suffer under as a result of ever-increasing taxes on fossil fuels and government mandates to use expensive renewable energy.

Last edited by phma; 05-06-2019 at 07:33 AM..

Old 05-06-2019, 09:52 AM

28,191 posts, read 15,321,620 times
From the article...

Skepticism about whether humans are causing dangerous climate change has always been higher in the United States than in most industrialized countries. As a result, governments in Europe, Canada, and in other developed countries are much farther along the energy-rationing path that cutting carbon dioxide emissions requires than the United States is. Residents in these countries have begun to revolt against the higher energy costs they suffer under as a result of ever-increasing taxes on fossil fuels and government mandates to use expensive renewable energy.

Two things...

1- There's a reason the U.S. is where it is - because the people have the freedom and power and enough healthy distrust of government to reject nonsense like this climate hoax.

2- The rest of the article details the painstaking costs for those countries trying to reverse this rotgut once government begin putting it into the system.

Old 05-06-2019, 11:03 AM

13,525 posts, read 5,456,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
...or at least that's what appears to be the case where voters get their voice heard.

Another interesting article posted on Anthony Watts' "Watts Up With That" website:

As always with the threads I start, I would like people to comment on the content of the article and the content of the thread rather than attacking the source or attempting to make character assassinations against the author. Thank you.
When my lawyer claims that he is qualified to fix my toothache, I call him out on his BS. Thatís not character assassination.

Old 05-06-2019, 11:28 AM

6,762 posts, read 2,486,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
When my lawyer claims that he is qualified to fix my toothache, I call him out on his BS. That’s not character assassination.
And yet you seem to do no such thing for media and political personalities prescribing a fix for the "looming catastrophe" that they largely invented in the first place.

Name one person on this planet who has successfully manipulated an atmosphere on a planetary scale based on nothing else other than punitive economic regulations? Name just one person with that resume. By all means.

Until you can, every single "dentist" in your global warming parallel is a 1L law school student telling you that not only can they fix your toothache, but they can do it simply via legislation in one country out of 200+. At least the lawyer-dentists on the skeptic side are telling that cutting off your own head is probably not a wise solution to your toothache. They aren't offering to fix it, they are simply saying before you lop that noggin right off, you may want to get a second opinion on possible ways to alleviate that pain.

Personally, I would side with the skeptics, since dramatic, hysterical solutions are rarely if ever the right way to go. But if the cabal of shrieking lawyer-dentists who are screaming that cutting off your own head is indeed the way to proceed have convinced you of their acumen, well, I'd get to building that self-operated guillotine.

Old 05-06-2019, 11:29 AM

30,827 posts, read 31,662,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post

Sorry, far too much bias and spin in that article for me to swallow.

Old 05-06-2019, 12:11 PM

6,703 posts, read 6,122,964 times
Is posting the guy's credentials "Character Assassination"?

H. Sterling Burnett:

Quote:
Burnett has an associate's degree in arts and sciences from Eastfield Community College (1984), a B.B.A. and a B.A. in cultural anthropology from Southern Methodist University (1986), and a M.A. (1991) and a Ph.D. (2001) in applied philosophy from Bowling Green State University with a specialization in environmental ethics.

Old 05-06-2019, 03:47 PM

4,697 posts, read 4,332,367 times
For some reason I just can't get very excited about the opinion of an ultra-right wing blogger with no training in the sciences and sponsored by the infamous Heartland Institute - a conservative think tank dedicated to dissemination of fake climate propaganda.

If you want to waste your time with make-believe, go for it. Don't expect the rest of us to share your enthusiasm, however.

Old 05-06-2019, 03:57 PM

4,998 posts, read 1,989,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
For some reason I just can't get very excited about the opinion of an ultra-right wing blogger with no training in the sciences and sponsored by the infamous Heartland Institute - a conservative think tank dedicated to dissemination of fake climate propaganda.

If you want to waste your time with make-believe, go for it. Don't expect the rest of us to share your enthusiasm, however.
Since when did it take a science degree to report that people get pizzed off when governments F' them over?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies