Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 12:25 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times

Advertisements

HATE Speech in other parts of the world, is called THE TRUTH in the USA.

Funny how that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 01:23 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
True, like the guy in the UK who went to prison for teaching his dog the "Roman" salute.

Old 05-06-2019, 06:35 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

Funny how that is.

I know, right!?! I think it's sad, really. It seems a rather self-delusional way for excusing willful ignorance and mean spiritedness.

Old 05-07-2019, 06:28 AM

27,140 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
True, like the guy in the UK who went to prison for teaching his dog the "Roman" salute.
Except he didn't go to prison, and it was the words 'Gas the Jews' which caused offence in the Jewish Comunity in Scotland c(ausing them to complain) and not the Nazi Salute. Of course Mark Meecham (Count Donkula) claimed at the time it was all a joke and he wasn't racist.

Last I heard Meecham was standing as a UKIP Candidate for the European Parliament elections on the 23rd May, and it has also emerged that he has been banned from some internet forum site for allegedly using the N-Word and other such posts.

UKIP candidate Mark Meechan linked to racist forum posts - BBC News

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC

Fining Meechan £800, the sheriff told him: "The centrepiece of your video consists of you repeating the phrase 'Gas the Jews' over and over again as a command to a dog which then reacts.

"You use the command Sieg Heil, having trained the dog to raise its paw in response and the video shows a clip of a Nuremberg rally and a flashing image of Hitler with strident music. You say the video was only intended as a joke to upset your girlfriend, whose dog you used, and nothing more.

"On the whole evidence..I found it proved that the video you posted, using a public communications network, was grossly offensive and contained menacing, anti-Semitic and racist material."

He added: "The fact that you claim in the video, and elsewhere, that the video was intended only to annoy your girlfriend and as a joke and that you did not intend to be racist is of little assistance to you.

"A joke can be grossly offensive. A racist joke or a grossly offensive video does not lose its racist or grossly offensive quality merely because the maker asserts he only wanted to get a laugh."

Man fined for hate crime after filming pug's 'Nazi salutes' - BBC News

Last edited by Brave New World; 05-07-2019 at 06:51 AM..

Old 05-07-2019, 06:44 AM

24,461 posts, read 17,203,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

Funny how that is.

When I read your post for some reason I am reminded of the incident that happened in DC the other day, (there was a video post of it here in this forum) where those Korean tourists had their souvenir MAGA hats grabbed off their heads and stomped on by some schoolyard bullies.

We extend citizen Rights to visitors to our country and theirs were certainly violated by those goons that were spurred on by their ignorance and misguided activism.

Old 05-07-2019, 06:49 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Except he didn't go to prison, and it was the words 'Gas the Jews' which caused offence in the Jewish Comunity in Scotland c(ausing them to complain) and not the Nazi Salute. Of course Mark Meecham (Count Donkula) claimed at the time it was all a joke and he wasn't racist.
No he was fined, which was not as bad as prison but ridiculous just the same. And if he would have resisted the fine he surely would have ended up getting clubbed or dead.
And all over some words.

No I dont agree with his words before any nonsense starts that I must be a NAZI

Old 05-07-2019, 06:53 AM

27,140 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
No he was fined, which was not as bad as prison but ridiculous just the same. And if he would have resisted the fine he surely would have ended up getting clubbed or dead.
And all over some words.

If he resisted the fine, it would have been referred to the Court Bailiffs, who would have removed property from his home to the value of the fine plus any costs incurred. If need be Bailiffs can get a warrant to enter a property and even employ a locksmith, they can also call the police if so need be, as they have legal powers when carrying out a court order.

In terms of the case, it was the constant use of the term gas the Jews intercut with images of the Nuremberg rally and a flashing image of Hitler, it was nothing to do with just the dog making a salute.

Whilst I think the whole affair was over the top and the police could have dealt with it by means of a chat or warning, following the complaint by the Jewish community, however it should be noted that it wasn't just based on a dog saluting.

Last edited by Brave New World; 05-07-2019 at 07:03 AM..

Old 05-07-2019, 07:22 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
And all over some words.

Where do you find support for your jump to the conclusion he would have "been clubbed or dead" if he resisted paying the fine?

The fact is he was 'levied a fine'; nothing quite like in the Constitutionally exceptionalized U.S. actually losing your job for merely flipping the bird at a passing motorcade...or....teens spending months in jail for posting questionable stuff on an internet gamer site?

Old 05-07-2019, 07:54 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,864,185 times
Even in countries like Canada you can be fined for speech. Let that sink in.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:56 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

Last I heard Meecham was standing as a UKIP Candidate for the European Parliament elections on the 23rd May, and it has also emerged that he has been banned from some internet forum site for allegedly using the N-Word and other such posts.

UKIP candidate Mark Meechan linked to racist forum posts - BBC News
Truth is... The Jews did get gassed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies