Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 10:56 AM

14,226 posts, read 4,590,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
The OP was not clear about the status of the worker he described. He didn't say he was here illegally nor did he indicate that he was. Sometimes, legal immigrants will be deported because of any violation of law, such as a speeding ticket.

I think that this outstanding worker, with his skills and dedication to good, honest labor, will land on his feet, wherever he was sent and find success------at least we can hope that is the case.
i think you are being a little dramatic.

speeding ticket is not going to get you deported.....unless you are speeding 40mph+ while high on cocaine...then yes, you will get deported under C.I.M.T
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 11:09 AM

19,626 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Well, being as the OP (me) has been working since my teens or before and done every "dirty job" in the book, never taken welfare and started and operated a number of successful businesses.....I certainly am not pimping for a welfare state.

One of things we learn, "we" being those with varied experiences (most people honestly don't have them) is that you must accept the world as it is. The "forgotten man" from Harlan Cty., KY or from WV is simply not going to move East and work for $20 an hour plus benefits. It won't happen.

I have no say on that. You can't chain them up and lead them here and force them to work hard and honestly.

BUT, I do know this. Many of the booming areas of the country (more of them...liberal...but that's not relevant here) are at full employment when it comes to the trades and to service industries. Even the Gov in Florida just stated he won't do E-Verify because they NEED the labor due having no one else to do it!!

So this is reality. You didn't create it. I didn't create it..and I can't change it.

Now, this "kid" - he never would have had 25K or even 10K back 14 years ago when he started. But he created value, paid taxes, worked hard and honorably and added to our economy and society. He was a heck of a nice dude too (I have met him).

We lost out...sending him away.

I'm all for rounding up felons and "bad people" of all stripes, but this just seems stupid. My views have never changed...I support Laws...comprehensive immigration reform in Congress that allows our economy to have the workers we need. We don't have them.

And, as a side note, if any of you want to make a lot of money, come to Coastal RI. People need stuff done and there are not enough people to do it.

Oh, BTW, the Russian and Irish and Polish and other people they import for the seasonal work....NONE of them would do the type of work, nor work as hard, as this dude did. That's a different market...those folks work at the Fudge shops and stuff like that.

Oh, if given the choice, his Employer would have put up 20, 30 or even 50K to sponsor the dude...today! But no choice was given. A speeding ticket and we lost the type of person that this country is built upon.
What was this guy's actual job and why is he so irreplaceable? There must be more to it.

Old 05-07-2019, 11:31 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Of course.

I hope the story is clear.

Undocumented worked working for the same employer for 14 years. He presented all the proper forms 14 years back to the employer and all taxes have been paid.

Speeding ticket....checked out, found not here legally. Sent directly to ICE who told him to leave the country. Did so.

I hope that makes it clear. I thought it was so in the first place.

If he got caught speeding in a sanctuary city...my guess is he'd still be here.

So, the hypocrisy of it all...like in Florida where Desantis says out loud we need them to work...and won't sign E-Verify, BUT signs a bill to say "no sanctuary cities".......

How can he say "We need a million of you really bad so you can stay but if you are stopped for speeding we don't want you"????

That just doesn't make sense.

If Florida and Texas, etc. want to take the view "we are abusing them and we don't want ANY of them" - FINE.....implement E-Verify with strict penalties for employers and then deport them. But that's not the case. They want and need them and they admit it.

It's a half-arsed way of doing business.
He did not present the proper forms if he was here illegally, he submitted fakes, forges, ID theft, etc.

Speeding will not get even an illegal deported, unless there are other circumstances like prior criminal record, or it was more than just speeding like reckless driving. Even if so, so what, he is here illegally, he has zero legal right to stay in a country he does not have permission to be in. Being here 1 year, 14 years, or 100 years, does not change this.

Old 05-07-2019, 11:34 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Nope.

It was a speeding ticket. Since he was honorable he was not stuck in for-profit detention...like the company now run by Ex-General Kelly. He was told that he has to leave and he did.

That's the entire story.
No, that is the story someone told you, that is not the entire story.

They do not even investigate immigration status over a speeding ticket, however, they do investigating if there are other things aside from that, like ID theft, previous criminal record, reckless driving, DUI, etc.

If speeding got an illegal deported, half of Miami would be gone by now, lol.

Old 05-07-2019, 11:41 AM

14,482 posts, read 11,278,588 times
Quote:
Just an anecdote.....

A very active businessman I know runs various enterprises including massive amounts of commercial real estate, a payroll services and a farm that raises very valuable animals. He injects vast amounts of money into the economy in terms of contractors, services, taxes, etc.

So...today I am talking to him and ask him about one of his "guy fridays" - a fella who seemed to be from C. America somewhere who has worked for him for more than a decade. Turn out guy got a speeding ticket and that was the end - he's not allowed back in this country for a decade.

The young man was single, maybe 35 and had worked for 14 years. He has presented 100% of the proper paperworks to the employer and ALL taxes were paid. His pay was $20 an hour and he also got a place to live, a vehicle and generally treated like a King. As one can imagine, he was a GREAT and honest worker.

Now he is gone. So my friend found a "American" who helps him sometimes....$35 an hour and the worker is about 1/3 as efficient as the immigrant was. That is, in total, the "production" now costs the business dude 5X as much...to get an equiv. task done.

ALL the tax money paid in for the other guy is probably in our kitty.....but any tax money paid in for the new guy is likely to be spent on new guy (who knows? Maybe he will claim he was hurt and claim medicaid, etc. etc.).....

I haven't worked out all the angles, but it sure seems that this is exactly the type of immigrant who should be here on a guest visa or...after 14 years of paying taxes with multiple people to vouch for his work ethic, etc - should have a path to citizenship (he speaks perfect English, etc.).....

I'm sure many will disagree....but even the Govs of states like TX and Fl agree as they have outright said they need the extra labor given the job market.

My friend cannot afford to pay 5X as much (lazy American worker), so he'll shut down the farming operation and sell off some of his real estate.

You'd think Americans from all those poor places would be scrambling to come to Rhode Island here and work hard for north of $20 an hour (unskilled)...plus housing and a car, etc.

But they are not. Many jobs are filled with Irish and Russians through special services that import them as seasonal workers (in resorts, etc.). Still, there is no one to fill the year-round hard working jobs.

You can't find a paint for under $50 an hour.

It's a complicated situation but, IMHO, it shows the folly of the lack of true immigration reform (LAW). We need exactly the type of person we are rejecting. Meanwhile, the REALLY low skill crew in TX and FL (ag workers, roof workers, etc)....they seem too be fairly protected by the respective states.

One wonders why we don't want the "best people"...or, why the forgotten man and woman won't hightail it from the hills and come work hard for nice salaries and benefits??
How do you know this guy didn't kill someone back in his home country before he came here and lived a model life?

Do you see where I'm going with this??

Old 05-07-2019, 11:47 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,522,667 times
We have a African immigrant who cleans our office . First off, she’s a legal immigrant. She does an excellent job and she does it with a positive attitude. I hope the children she has who are being educated here and having their minds warped by teachers with race tinted glasses are half as productive and pleasant as her but I have serious doubts.

Old 05-07-2019, 11:49 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
And then they’ll have just have to issue more guest worker visas. Because employers can’t find enough Americans to do the jobs.
Labor, like all other goods, has a supply and demand curve. At the right wage supply equals demand. Basic economics.

The question is does the benefit to consumers outweigh the costs to labor. I think generally illegals benefit consumers more than they harm laborers. The welfare state complicates the issue.

Old 05-07-2019, 11:52 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
How do you know this guy didn't kill someone back in his home country before he came here and lived a model life?

Do you see where I'm going with this??
Yes, he could also have the bubonic plague that could end up killing tens of thousands of Americans. Do you see where I am going with this?

Old 05-07-2019, 12:08 PM

14,482 posts, read 11,278,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Yes, he could also have the bubonic plague that could end up killing tens of thousands of Americans. Do you see where I am going with this?
Bingo!

Old 05-07-2019, 04:34 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,670,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
What was this guy's actual job and why is he so irreplaceable? There must be more to it.
You must not have read the OP.

He was an "everything" guy...the one guy that this multi-millionaire who has everything from a farm to commercial real estate to a payroll and management company employed full time. Believe it or not, such a company (worth 10's of millions) can be run by the one owner and his wife (she's a top book keeper) along with an "anything anytime" guy and then the rest are sub-contractors when needed.

If you called him and said "come over to this house with a toothbrush and scrub the cedar shakes on the exterior one by one" he'd do it with a smile on his face. If you said "come over and help my painted prepare this luxe condo for a rental", he'd do it. If it was "grab the tractor and mow the 5 acres of grazing down by the bay", he'd do that. One thing after another.

If you told him to carry a pile of rocks from here to there...he'd do it. If there was a wasps nest in the eaves, he'd put up a ladder and laugh and take care of it.

Anything and everything. He can't be replaced. Sure, now the guy can call a Pest Control company which will come out and survey and try to sell him a service contract. But that's now how we entrepreneurs work. We get stuff done NOW.

I mean..everyone is replaceable in a sense. But if we extend this to the 3 million in Florida and Texas who are making food, building houses, cleaning hotel rooms, laying tile and everything else...well, you can't replace those 3 million. Can't be done.

The folks from WV and E. KY simply are not going to move there by the 100's of thousands and do it for ANY price.

But my real point was a decent, honest, hard-working Christian fella....paying taxes which we surely could use and improving our world as well as helping a business.

Gone. No place can afford to get rid of millions of such people and still prosper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies