U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 08:06 AM

23,842 posts, read 11,840,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
To the people who hold this man up as a soldier, some soldier he is. Two shots to a defenseless, naked man, who had no reason to attack him, he was going home. This was a hit job, pure and simple, and the military saw it for what it was...……..Trump did not.

If the roles had been reversed, and one of them would have done this to one or ours, there would be a yuge outcry from Trump. He is doing this for political points, nothing more.
I don’t have a problem with him killing a terrorist. The circumstances don’t concern me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 08:15 AM

1,335 posts, read 458,379 times
I am far more OK with Trump's pardon of this soldier than I was of Obama's surprise commutation of Chelsea Mannings sentence.

Old 05-08-2019, 08:31 AM

32,977 posts, read 19,947,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The fact that he murdered someone isn't really debatable,
You need to stop quoting me because you are not going to convince me. I really don't know what you are trying to do here, say your last words or something? sheesh

Old 05-08-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
To the people who hold this man up as a soldier, some soldier he is. Two shots to a defenseless, naked man, who had no reason to attack him, he was going home. This was a hit job, pure and simple, and the military saw it for what it was...……..Trump did not.

If the roles had been reversed, and one of them would have done this to one or ours, there would be a yuge outcry from Trump. He is doing this for political points, nothing more.
oh please.

You need to stop painting the dead dude as some defenseless innocent civilian.

He was a bomb maker and nobody could prove he was a bomb maker who was a terrorist linked to Al Qaeda.

U.S. forces took Mansur into custody in 2008 shortly after a roadside bomb struck a convoy traveling north of Baghdad, killing two of Behenna’s friends and platoon members. An intelligence report linked Mansur to the attack, but he was later freed when the military couldn’t find conclusive evidence of his involvement, according to Behenna’s pardon application.

The dead guy could have killed a lot of soldiers and Marines.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 05-08-2019 at 08:44 AM..

Old 05-08-2019, 08:41 AM

8,723 posts, read 7,925,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
oh please.

You need to stop painting the dead dude as some defenseless innocent civilian.

He was a bomb maker and nobody could prove he was a bomb maker.

Do you know how many people this soldier has saved? gee

Defenseless? Yep. Innocent? Maybe. Maybe not. THAT'S THE POINT.

Old 05-08-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Defenseless? Yep. Innocent? Maybe. Maybe not. THAT'S THE POINT.
Well, that is why he was sentenced 25 years in prison in the first place. Now, he was pardoned, I don't know what the big deal is?

some of Behenna’s actions were “undoubtedly wrong and condemnable.”

But that does not mean he deserves the label ‘murderer,’ “or the lifelong punishment and stigma that come with being a federal criminal.

That is the reason why he was pardoned.

Like I posted earlier, I lost my first TRUE love over there. I personally will NEVER condemn this soldier. If you do, go ahead, but I am glad he was pardoned. sheesh, he should get on his life and people should get over it.

This darn war lasted how many years now? Let's stop condemning the little soldiers already, shall we? Chances are this soldier has been dishonorably discharged, he probably could never find a federal job; he was marked "ruthless crazy vet" forever by somebody, not enough? You tell me.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 05-08-2019 at 09:38 AM..

Old 05-08-2019, 09:01 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bx9whGbJdE

Old 05-08-2019, 09:04 AM

8,723 posts, read 7,925,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Well, that is why he was sentenced 25 years in prison in the first place. Now, he was pardoned, I don't know what the big deal is?

some of Behenna’s actions were “undoubtedly wrong and condemnable.”

But that does not mean he deserves the label ‘murderer,’ “or the lifelong punishment and stigma that come with being a federal criminal.

That is the reason why he was pardoned.

Like I posted earlier, I lost my first TRUE love over there. I personally will NEVER condemn this soldier. If you do, go ahead, but I am glad he was pardoned. sheesh, he should get on his life and people should get over it.

This darn war has last how many years now? Let's stop condemning the little soldiers already, shall we? Chances are this soldier has been dishonorably discharged, he probably could never find a federal job; he was marked "ruthless crazy vet" forever by somebody, not enough? You tell me.

Sure, it's enough. The soldier paid his debt. That's not what's under discussion. The discussion is about whether it was "good" or "bad" for Trump to pardon him.

Do you feel the same way about every murderer who's victim might have been "bad"?

Old 05-08-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Sure, it's enough. The soldier paid his debt. That's not what's under discussion. The discussion is about whether it was "good" or "bad" for Trump to pardon him.

Do you feel the same way about every murderer who's victim might have been "bad"?
I feel it is good that Trump pardoned him. Yes, I feel good about it.

About your second paragraph, I cannot answer it or I cannot give you an honest answer. It depends on the situation.

But for this soldier, yes, he should get on with his life and enough is enough. The person he has saved could have been my fiance, my friends from childhood, that is what comes in my head.

Look, I don't claim to be fair and balanced here. But it is useless to try to convince me that he was a cold blooded murderer. HE WAS NOT and WILL NEVER BE to ME. To me, he is a hero. ( Me being the keyword here)

Old 05-08-2019, 09:09 AM

5,214 posts, read 1,546,168 times
The problem with this type of pardon is that it condones the underlying behavior. A pardon where the recipient shows remorse and there were extenuating circumstances is one thing. It is another where the recipient argues that he/she was right in the first instance after being convicted by a jury of murder.

Joe Arpaio is another example of the totally-legal misuse of a pardon. There is a person whose job required him to uphold the law, yet ignored it even after a Court directed him to comply. Pardoning him was an act of political expediency, and the takeaway is that you can simply ignore the law as long as your views jive with the President's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies