Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 03:58 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 1 day ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,675 times

Advertisements

...then how come the USA became a superpower when it was considerably less English-Scottish than it was while it was more English-Scottish?

Same fears of the Irish, Italians, Poles, etc. turning American into a Catholic nation. (No Irish Need Apply signs were common in Boston before the Civil War). Plus they formed criminal gangs

Then came the Italians, more than just like the Irish but also were of "inferior" kinds of Europeans.

Then the Jews started coming over here, supposedly "threatening our Christian values".

Similar with the West Coast's "Yellow Peril" around the same time (in fact, California trying to set up what amounted to a "Jim Crow" society against Asians almost led to war with Japan around 1910).

Also, we started giving women, blacks, LGBT, and such a more fair deal than in the past. Again, didn't threaten our superpower status or economic / innovation standing.

Yes, it is true that the result is that only about 15% of US people self-identify as of British Isles descent, but the base of the legal system still remains English Common Law. So if the USA became a superpower when it was more diverse, then how can you say diversity destroys the country?

Opponents of diversity (and changing cultural values in general ) are simply the spiritual descendants of Joe McCarthy, the "Know-Nothing" Nativists of the mid-19th century, and the hysteria over Italian, Polish, and Jewish immigrants in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:47 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
most of us have no problem with diversity. what we do have it a problem with multiculturalism, and yes there is a difference. this country, like all others in this world, have their own unique cultures grown over the generations.

it isnt diversity that is tearing this country apart, its the people losing their morality that is doing it. we call the good evil and the evil good. we take god out of the picture but allow satan in. we hate murder, but then kill unborn children. we say something like tobacco is bad, but then we replace it with marijuana and call it good. we call alcohol evil, but replace it with "magic" mushrooms.

we grow up in a country that allows people to put in the work and get rich, or become anything they want to be, then we try to tear it apart by calling it an immoral country, and we demand that we change to something more like what the old soviet union was, or what europe is doing.

we keep looking for government to increasingly take over our lives instead of doing thing for ourselves, and then we wonder why the government has all this power over us. and we demand the government help those in need, and then wonder why the system is so corrupt and people take advantage of the system.

and now we have people like sanders and omar, and others that want to finish the changes that obama and others have started. remember obama saying that we are jsut five days away from fundamentally changing america? well he gave it a good go didnt he? and hillary wanted to double down on what he did, and the people rejected that and gave us trump who had been trying to reverse what obama did.

and we have people seemingly worshiping criminals in this country, and i am not talking about politicians.

we need to get back to what we were morality wise when this country was founded. and i dont mean going back to slavery, or any of that nonsense, i mean get back to the attitude we had in building this country, after the war for independence where we rely on ourselves to get things done, not the government. lets stop looking for government handouts, and get back to where local comunities meant something. where being a good neighbor meant helping out your neighbors when they needed help as best you could. when freindship really meant something, and was not just a word tossed around in passing. lets get back to where a persons word and handshake meant something, where honor meant something.

Old 05-07-2019, 05:04 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,502,232 times
When my grandparents immigrated here, LEGALLY, they were eager to learn English and become "real Americans." The Jews who were already here and had learned their new language set up "ulpan" at night so after a long day of work in a sweatshop, the newly arrived went to class to learn English. And they asked for nothing - other than an opportunity. Both grandfathers eagerly signed up for WWI* and served their country with honor.

Now we have poor immigrants coming here with their hands out for American taxpayer benefits, and proudly speaking their native language in public.

* I have a 101-year-old postcard from my grandfather, written to his mother (also a native Yiddish speaker) saying that the Great World War has been won, and he will be home soon. IT IS WRITTEN IN ENGLISH.

Old 05-07-2019, 05:12 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
...then how come the USA became a superpower when it was considerably less English-Scottish than it was while it was more English-Scottish?

Same fears of the Irish, Italians, Poles, etc. turning American into a Catholic nation. (No Irish Need Apply signs were common in Boston before the Civil War). Plus they formed criminal gangs

Then came the Italians, more than just like the Irish but also were of "inferior" kinds of Europeans.

Then the Jews started coming over here, supposedly "threatening our Christian values".

Similar with the West Coast's "Yellow Peril" around the same time (in fact, California trying to set up what amounted to a "Jim Crow" society against Asians almost led to war with Japan around 1910).

Also, we started giving women, blacks, LGBT, and such a more fair deal than in the past. Again, didn't threaten our superpower status or economic / innovation standing.

Yes, it is true that the result is that only about 15% of US people self-identify as of British Isles descent, but the base of the legal system still remains English Common Law. So if the USA became a superpower when it was more diverse, then how can you say diversity destroys the country?

Opponents of diversity (and changing cultural values in general ) are simply the spiritual descendants of Joe McCarthy, the "Know-Nothing" Nativists of the mid-19th century, and the hysteria over Italian, Polish, and Jewish immigrants in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

Today's "diversity" as advocated by the political left bears absolutely no resemblance to the diversity that occurred during the formation of America.

Naturally occurring diversity that is a product of LEGAL CITIZENS exercising their freedom of movement is not the same thing as the force fed social engineering that Democrats are attempting to shove down the throats of America in order to pad their voting roles.

Don't even give me that "But we're a nation of immigrants" excuse either.

We're a melting pot of LEGAL IMMIGRANTS who gladly assimilated into America, something which the Left sees as not only unnecessary but downright racist.

So, it's not diversity in and of itself that destroys the Country........it's the form of diversity that's being advocated and the motives behind it.

Old 05-07-2019, 05:12 AM

3,318 posts, read 2,338,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
most of us have no problem with diversity. what we do have it a problem with multiculturalism, and yes there is a difference.
Bingo.

I don't like the word diversity, because it has a different meaning to almost everyone. I have no problem with people of different racial and cultural backgrounds coming here. I don't think that in and of itself threatens us in any way.

What I do have a problem with, are immigrants who come here and fail to assimilate. If you liked the way of life in your old country so much, why did you leave? If you want to speak your native language at home or around your friends, I don't care, but when you come to a place of business you need to speak English. I shouldn't have to learn Spanish or German or whatever language to be able to do business with you.

I wouldn't move to Mexico and expect them to learn English for me, or live the way I do.

Old 05-07-2019, 05:16 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,868,294 times
Diversity = fine

Multicultural = national suicide

Old 05-07-2019, 05:24 AM

20,102 posts, read 9,018,880 times
seems as though the younger generations are more accommodating to allowing illegals into the country. Have they ever stopped to realize we're already on a collision course of debt in this country and they'll be the ones left holding the bag? Wake up if you're under 35!

Old 05-07-2019, 05:26 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post

The US "diversity" was among white Christian Europeans. So if you are saying that people of Norwegian and German ancestory are markedly different than those of English heritage, you have diversity.

When the left talks about "diversity", it is talking about minorities and Muslims.

Old 05-07-2019, 05:28 AM

I once applied for a job, and the (dumb) girl who answered the phone told me they "are looking for a diverse candidate."

What's a diverse candidate? A bi-racial person with a Catholic mom who grew up in Italy and a Hindu father from India? Or was that code for "we want a black or brown person in this role."

Can you imagine if someone said they were looking for white candidate?

Old 05-07-2019, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
seems as though the younger generations are more accommodating to allowing illegals into the country. Have they ever stopped to realize we're already on a collision course of debt in this country and they'll be the ones left holding the bag? Wake up if you're under 35!
Yes, and these are also the same people complaining that SS won't be there when they get old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies