Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 05:55 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,115,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
A few students are critically injured. This shooting took place at a STEM school near Columbine. https://nyti.ms/2Viodae
Wondering what Columbine has to do with this. Is is there a contagion in play?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 05:56 AM

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Nope, it's very clear that a lot of cons have a sexual fetish for guns.

Here is another example...very interesting. I wonder what a psychologist would think about this ? It would be interesting to hear.

Old 05-08-2019, 05:56 AM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
As a Libertarian - I support our 2nd Amendment. But, the old arguments I made (although, still valid) are having to be modified. My arguments were/are still, an armed populace keeps government honest and if you are not armed - then the criminals will have free reign (police only show up to zip up body bags). But, now we have to have an armed population because we have people, who purchased their guns legally and have no criminal records - that can go bats*** crazy at any moment and without any warning! We, the law abiding citizen; now have to worry about the other law abiding citizens because, at any moment, they can stop being law-abiding citizens and kill you. What has happened to us?

I repped you not only for your opinion, but because you seem to be one of the minority of posters on the P&OC forum who keep at least a somewhat open mind and are willing to change it if convinced that your mind should be changed about an issue.

Old 05-08-2019, 05:59 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Why can't we just pass more ineffective gun laws that restrict the rights of people who didn't commit this crime? That would make us feel better, wouldn't it?
I hate to say this, but I hope the gun advocates have something like this hit their home like it has ours.

Access to guns is a major problem OBVIOUSLY.

Old 05-08-2019, 06:02 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
One is from yesterday's school shooting, and the other is not. Is this our new normal?

Did you purposely put the racial message in those?

Old 05-08-2019, 06:04 AM

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Without going too much on a rambling rant here....

This is what modern progressive society gets us

-We have become less religious, less loving, less treat others how you want to be treated
-As parents we've decided to make excuses for our kids and to not parent them but to be their friends
-On top of it modern feminism and consumer society has made it so the kids and family have the mom's working partly because they feel they are supposed to and partly to provide every possible thing for the kids at the expense of not being home as much and relying on before or after school programs to raise kids while both parents work so they can afford cable, cell phones, Xbox live subscriptions etc..
-many families don't have 2 parents for a multitude of reasons. Again feminism is a major cause of single mom households and it's had disasterous effects on kids especially boys growing up without a dad in the house.
-instead of parenting our kids we are too quick to medicate them and just throw them on pills. I believe this is a serious effect
-we let kids get way too wrapped up in electronics and social media. They are losing their human interaction and connection. These are major social skills being lost here.
-the more pop culture has turned anti gun, the more school shootings there have been. Let me explain what I mean. I head stories all the time in the past it was perfectly normal to bring you gun in your vehicle to school for either a school shooting club, to go hunting after class etc. That would be unthinkable now. Gradually suburban or urban families stopped teaching their kids about guns and the respect to have for them. So as guns became less popular kids lost a familiarity and respect for them.

Just a few thoughts I rambled off

All very good points, an I feel spot on. I for one am not a fan of religion, but was raised Catholic when I was younger. Religion, as much as I dislike it , is a way to keep people moral to a point. It is a way of control, and maybe that control is what is needed.

It seems like most of our society is leaning towards less violence (overall violence is down) while an extremely small segment is going the other way. Lashing out in anger and violence. Why is the big question, and how to stop it.

Old 05-08-2019, 06:06 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Without going too much on a rambling rant here....

This is what modern progressive society gets us

-We have become less religious, less loving, less treat others how you want to be treated
-As parents we've decided to make excuses for our kids and to not parent them but to be their friends
-On top of it modern feminism and consumer society has made it so the kids and family have the mom's working partly because they feel they are supposed to and partly to provide every possible thing for the kids at the expense of not being home as much and relying on before or after school programs to raise kids while both parents work so they can afford cable, cell phones, Xbox live subscriptions etc..
-many families don't have 2 parents for a multitude of reasons. Again feminism is a major cause of single mom households and it's had disasterous effects on kids especially boys growing up without a dad in the house.
-instead of parenting our kids we are too quick to medicate them and just throw them on pills. I believe this is a serious effect
-we let kids get way too wrapped up in electronics and social media. They are losing their human interaction and connection. These are major social skills being lost here.
-the more pop culture has turned anti gun, the more school shootings there have been. Let me explain what I mean. I head stories all the time in the past it was perfectly normal to bring you gun in your vehicle to school for either a school shooting club, to go hunting after class etc. That would be unthinkable now. Gradually suburban or urban families stopped teaching their kids about guns and the respect to have for them. So as guns became less popular kids lost a familiarity and respect for them.

Just a few thoughts I rambled off
Um what statistics do you have to suggest guns are less popular?

Sales have continued to be strong and steady and as guns aren't the kind of product that 'wear out' -- increased sales each year means a healthy stash of guns

Did you read the history of school shooting incidents. This isn't a new thing...it's grown -- but so has gun ownership and society's intolerance of others.

And blame the kids, the parents -- but as a society we are more intolerant and resentful of those that don't think like us, look like us.

It's a hateful country right now. The left blames the right, the right blames the left and nobody does anything to change it -- just let it grow. In fact the politicians -- our leaders -- on both sides -- use it as tools to keep their jobs. And we let them.

It's not religion. Often religion can and does use 'hateful' rhetoric to support their agenda.

We are making assumptions about these kid shooters based on our narrative.

We don't know what kind of parents these kids had?
We don't know if they were strict and the kids were rebelling.
We don't know if they were lenient and the kids were left to go wild.

We are making huge assumptions based on the narratives in our head.

That doesn't do anything.

Old 05-08-2019, 06:06 AM

12,031 posts, read 6,561,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
What the heck is so wrong with a student who thinks he can or should shoot others? Seriously we have always had firearms around, but something is obviously different now. Have personality orders become acceptable in society? I don't get it. Where are their freaking parents?
You have way too many democrats advocating violence and vulgar discourse toward republicans/conservatives and it gets no recrimination from democrats who mostly control our cultural narrative.

# Maxine Waters encourages people to harass and abuse republicans.
# Multiple Liberal celebrities have requested assassinatiing of Trump
#A democrat advocated raping Melania.
# Teenagers wearing MAGA hats are beaten up by democrats and no liberal media condemns it.
# Democrats chase and harass republicans out of restaurants and public places and the liberal media applauds it.
# Democrats use foul vulgar language daily to describe their hatred of conservatives and Trump..
# Democrats control the entertainment industry which spews out perverse gun violence, perverse sexual violence, and hate 24/7.
# Democrats have become masters at hateful character assassination —. Sarah Sanders, Covington kid, Kavanaugh, Barr, etc etc
# Texas just arrested four more democrats who beat up MAGA hat werarers.
# A mom and two teenagers were just praying in front of an abortion clinic and they were harassed, videoed, and threatened by a democrat congressman!!! No recriminations from dem leaders or media!!!!
etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

You tell me where this behavior in our culture is coming from....

Last edited by mountainrose; 05-08-2019 at 06:24 AM..

Old 05-08-2019, 06:08 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,466,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Did you start a thread about the news for shootings and number of dead in Baltimore, st.Louis, or Chicago in the last few days?
Gang members shooting each other are no threat to students, movie theaters, malls, churches, synagogues, bowling alleys, etc. Why should anyone start a thread about them?

Old 05-08-2019, 06:09 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
All very good points, an I feel spot on. I for one am not a fan of religion, but was raised Catholic when I was younger. Religion, as much as I dislike it , is a way to keep people moral to a point. It is a way of control, and maybe that control is what is needed.

It seems like most of our society is leaning towards less violence (overall violence is down) while an extremely small segment is going the other way. Lashing out in anger and violence. Why is the big question, and how to stop it.
Suggesting folks that don't have religion in their life are less moral is ludicrous.

I know as many people who are 'religious' as aren't at all -- and kids who are raised religious and others that aren't.

There is no direct correlation in their behaviour. Their isn't.

Being kind, patient, tolerant, not violent aren't just attributes that folks brought up in religion have.

The suggestion is that there is some kind of wild underground where all the unreligious people are brought up on hate, violence - no moral compass.

That's just not accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies