U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 12:59 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,638,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
$28 is something you EARN to make that much. Driving a car takes zero professional skills/college educated/trade educated work.

used to be if you wanted to make more, you worked and earned to get it either thru working your way up out of a dead end job, and/or getting more education/skills/experience.

$28 is not owed to you, special snowflake who thinks they can just demand/be entitled to it.

Same with working at fast food.. Although standing on your feet all day waiting on customers CAN be hard work, but still, you are to get what you are worth.
Again, if Uber/Lyft drivers are independent contractors, they can set their own rates. They could easily get $28/hour or even double that. My son took an Uber to LAX from Laguna Beach and it was something like $65 for the one-hour ride. The demand is there, for sure, even if you personally don't think that drivers should make that much. Worth is in the eye of the person who needs service; for me, paying $28 for someone to drive me an hour away when I'm in an unfamiliar city would be a steal.

The problem is that they're not really ICs and the rideshare company is eating up their profits. Without drivers, the companies are toast, so if enough of them band together, they can get the rates raised. Otherwise, they need to be true entrepreneurs and forget about the umbrella of the companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 01:05 PM

2,670 posts, read 894,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
What is it with conservatives and their love for dirt cheap labor? It's like they want to kill the middle class and turn them into serfs that scrape by at a subsistence level. That'll turn American cities into shantytowns.
I have a number of friends who get all of their yard and housework regularly done by people they pick up out of the Home Depot parking lots, because those guys only charge $20 per hour each, instead of paying many times more per hour for guys who own and operate their own businesses that provide the same kind of services, which they have overhead such as licensing and insurance. And every one of my friends that does this are hard-core Dem libs.

Old 05-09-2019, 01:07 PM

19,678 posts, read 14,144,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Will soon be replaced by self driving cars. What were they thinking?
What self-driving cars?

You're still 10-12 years away at least, and then there's the issue of States approving the use of self-driving cars.

Um, just because you make something, it doesn't mean you automatically get to sell it or use it.

In case you all forgot, and it seems most of you have, you live in a federal republic, and States have a great deal of say about what goes on in their State.

States control things like vehicle licensing and registration, and if a State says it's not going to permit the registration of self-driving cars, then that's the end of that.

You have no legal recourse. You cannot legally compel a State to register self-driving cars just because it makes you feel good or so you can make a buck.

And, if States are smart, they'll charge $5,000/year to $20,000/year to register a self-driving vehicle.

Old 05-09-2019, 01:10 PM

2,670 posts, read 894,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Yes, the driver are independent contractors so they pay the full 15% income tax on earnings. They also cover all their own expenses as well. All other fees are suppose to be covered in the 25% that Uber collects, which wouldn't be much if any. The driver is doing the leg work and paying the actual transport cost.

I think its a crappy job but better than flipping burgers.
If you don't mind the wear and tear on a car and don't want to have a boss, then go for it. Not something I would do.
I agree. Driving people around is a crappy job. Especially at night when drunks vomit in the back of the car and drivers sometimes get physically attacked by the crazy they picked up. Both happen quite often.

Old 05-09-2019, 01:30 PM

2,136 posts, read 631,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post

What is it with conservatives and their love for dirt cheap labor? It's like they want to kill the middle class and turn them into serfs that scrape by at a subsistence level. That'll turn American cities into shantytowns.
If you check out the management at Uber, I think you'll find that they're all screaming, drooling, foaming-at-the-mouth leftists. Nevertheless, they the ones responsible for the plight of their drivers through their abject avarice. It's Uber, and not some amorphous group of conservatives floating around in the aether, which is responsible for the apparent misclassification of the drivers as ICs, thereby possibly committing millions of instances of federal tax fraud, among other apparent violations of federal labor law.

Say...Uber is headquartered in that legendary zone of enlightenment known as California, isn't it? Why, yes, I believe it is. Which would mean that all of these tax and labor abuses are emanating from...California.

Interesting factoid right there.

Old 05-09-2019, 01:54 PM

10,166 posts, read 2,602,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Do the drivers have to pay any taxes, fees, etc?
Besides being an independent contractor, they also must carry commercial insurance, since they are using their personal vehicle to earn money.

This type of insurance is higher just because of the fact, you are on the road more often, better chance of being in an accident.

Old 05-09-2019, 02:00 PM

6,509 posts, read 3,588,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
$28 is something you EARN to make that much. Driving a car takes zero professional skills/college educated/trade educated work.

used to be if you wanted to make more, you worked and earned to get it either thru working your way up out of a dead end job, and/or getting more education/skills/experience.

$28 is not owed to you, special snowflake who thinks they can just demand/be entitled to it.

Same with working at fast food.. Although standing on your feet all day waiting on customers CAN be hard work, but still, you are to get what you are worth.
I would take the other economic theory that it is not "earned" rather if you want someone to drive you somewhere at a certain time then you will have to pay a sufficient amount to entice someone to be available to do it. No matter what qualifications the job entails. Supply of labor versus the demand for more laborers.

As long as the army exist that are willing to work at a lower rate it is hard to demand $28/hours unless you use actual violence or use the government to threaten violence to coerce and to scare the potential workers away.

Old 05-09-2019, 02:04 PM

16,809 posts, read 8,650,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Miteybad View Post
If you check out the management at Uber, I think you'll find that they're all screaming, drooling, foaming-at-the-mouth leftists. Nevertheless, they the ones responsible for the plight of their drivers through their abject avarice. It's Uber, and not some amorphous group of conservatives floating around in the aether, which is responsible for the apparent misclassification of the drivers as ICs, thereby possibly committing millions of instances of federal tax fraud, among other apparent violations of federal labor law.

Say...Uber is headquartered in that legendary zone of enlightenment known as California, isn't it? Why, yes, I believe it is. Which would mean that all of these tax and labor abuses are emanating from...California.

Interesting factoid right there.
^^^^This. Plus nobody is forcing those people to become Uber drivers. They can go work somewhere else for higher wages if they have the skills to command them. It is called a FREE market. People are free to go work elsewhere.

Its also a bunch of liberal/progressives (Democrats) running Nike, Apple, Microsoft, all Tech companies that are running sweat shops in Asia, Mexico and other countries, paying next to nothing in wages. The Californians that support this crap are huge hypocrites.

Old 05-09-2019, 03:41 PM

1,305 posts, read 531,139 times
It is not up to the passengers to argue which side is right -- management or drivers -- since I don't know how they divide up the charge.

But Uber and Lyft are very good deals. Sometimes the charges can be absurdly low if you hail drive in a City that offers Uber Share. Charges for two can be as low as $2.70 for two for about a mile's travel. Even cheaper than a bus ride. Sometimes the car can appear right away. Once the car shows up in 15 seconds after I push the Confirm button.

Most cars are quite new and kept tidy. And unlike taxi, they choose the shortest route and would not rip you off. And also I don't need to deal with the tips face to face. Once I gave $5 tips to a taxi driver and he still grumbled.

I have also tried Uber in Canada and England. I prefer Uber in U.S. because in Canada and England, Uber does not give you the exact price but a price range and the final price always ends up in the higher end.

Old 05-11-2019, 12:57 AM

6,220 posts, read 6,641,518 times
It’s certainly a balancing act. Charge customers too much and they’ll just go back to taxis. If U/L take too much of a cut, they’ll lose drivers. The problem is it doesn’t look like their going to give drivers more money anytime soon, since both companies have been losing massive amounts of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or