U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2019, 01:27 PM

11,254 posts, read 5,897,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
It's not me denying what guns are for. I know it. I'm not saying that police shouldn't carry guns. I'm not making a judgement on anything. I just think we can't alter our society's relationship with guns until we talk about them in real terms.

Too many people look at what a gun can do and think, "That will make them_______." It's become a solution to whatever they feel is wrong. But that's the message we're selling (and by we, I mean the NRA, et al). Don't feel safe? Get a gun! Love your family? Better get a gun to protect them! Leftists trying to be lefty? Better make sure you stockpile for when they come for your guns! This is the narrative that we're given, and it has an impact. We have created a culture of gun worship, where guns represent power, and that is a problem.
Truer words have not been spoken in this entire thread. When you say "we" have created a gun worship culture, you are right. YOU (the anti-gun folks) have created that term and falsely cast that description on those who you wish to disparage. You are creating an enemy so you have someone to attack, its a political technique that even our dummy POTUS can understand how to implement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 01:31 PM

9,350 posts, read 4,489,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
We should be asking ourselves what is causing kids to act out like this. It’s an extreme reaction but a reaction to what exactly? It would be great to try to get to the root of the problem.
They have been raised as pampered, spoiled kids. Society teaches them that no one should ever lose. So now they get participation trophies. Everyone is supposed to like everyone. Well the world does not work that way. And they are not prepared to handle it.

Last edited by Floorist; 05-08-2019 at 01:43 PM..

Old 05-08-2019, 01:34 PM

34,801 posts, read 31,852,583 times
Quote:
It's not me denying what guns are for. I know it. I'm not saying that police shouldn't carry guns. I'm not making a judgement on anything. I just think we can't alter our society's relationship with guns until we talk about them in real terms.

Too many people look at what a gun can do and think, "That will make them_______." It's become a solution to whatever they feel is wrong. But that's the message we're selling (and by we, I mean the NRA, et al). Don't feel safe? Get a gun! Love your family? Better get a gun to protect them! Leftists trying to be lefty? Better make sure you stockpile for when they come for your guns! This is the narrative that we're given, and it has an impact. We have created a culture of gun worship, where guns represent power, and that is a problem.
I don't know anyone who talks like they think like this and I have a ton of gun guy friends. Guns are tools for hunters to hunt. They are also tools for home protection.

By age 7 or 8 most people know that guns are dangerous and can kill. Same as electricity.

Old 05-08-2019, 01:34 PM

4,797 posts, read 3,177,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
We should be asking ourselves what is causing kids to act out like this. Itís an extreme reaction but a reaction to what exactly? It would be great to try to get to the root of the problem.
Bullying. It is fact that Cruz was bullied at least from middle school. Emma Gonzalez basically admitted that she and everyone else at Parkland bullied him and he deserved it because he was a weird kid. The kids in Denver were a gay kid and transition trans kid. I'm sure they were victims of bullying and most likely from the kids they targeted. Combine that with reckless amplifying of hate and manipulation through mass and social media and this is where we are now.

We need parents that are involved in their kids lives and teach them to be tolerant and respectful to everyone in society whether you like or agree with them or not. But the elite that control the world don't want that. The elite want population control and they are happy to see us kill each other while the stoke the flames

Old 05-08-2019, 01:43 PM

34,801 posts, read 31,852,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Truer words have not been spoken in this entire thread. When you say "we" have created a gun worship culture, you are right. YOU (the anti-gun folks) have created that term and falsely cast that description on those who you wish to disparage. You are creating an enemy so you have someone to attack, its a political technique that even our dummy POTUS can understand how to implement.

Somehow we 14 million hunters got lumped into it too. Just by using a gun as a tool to hunt with.

Old 05-08-2019, 01:45 PM

3,202 posts, read 1,832,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Right, these do happen, but high powered guns are killing more people than gasoline. It's just a fact. It's not what most school shooters are using.
High powered guns do not have a mind of their own, they do not possess supernatural powers compelling people to go out and kill. People kill people and those that are predisposed to doing it will always find a way. It's just a fact. What's to stop someone from tossing a Molotov cocktail into a crowded class room or auditorium if a gun was not available? What's to stop someone from driving a vehicle into a crowd such as what happened in Nice, France killing 86 people?

You don't need a background check to buy gasoline, a container, matches or lighter. They don't have to be registered either. They're a lot easier to obtain than a high powered gun, but in the wrong hands can do just as much damage. Something as simple as box cutters were used in the 9/11 attacks. Fertilizer, diesel fuel and a rental truck although more sophisticated were used in the Oklahoma City bombing. In the Boston Marathon bombing pieces of metal, nails, ball bearings, a pressure cooker and a remote control used for toy cars was used to set it off. If you're so interested in saving lives then why just limit it to high powered guns?

Old 05-08-2019, 01:47 PM

9,350 posts, read 4,489,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Somehow we 14 million hunters got lumped into it too. Just by using a gun as a tool to hunt with.
I hunt and target shoot. I seldom carry, but probably should more often. I served in combat. My kids and grandkids understand guns. Most kids nowdays know nothing about them.

Old 05-08-2019, 01:50 PM

1,182 posts, read 453,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I'm a hunter. My tools are guns and bows. I have't seen an NRA commercial in forever.

Why would I bring a hammer to a gun fight when I have a perfectly good gun. Do you think hitting someone in the head with a hammer won't kill them? I'd rather shoot them at distance before they can get close enough to me to shove my own hammer up my #$$.
Oh, my word. Look. I said that a gun's purpose is to kill. It is. Mine are for hunting--they kill the animals we hunt. They're not for scaring an animal to death.

I said I used a hammer for protection. Because I can't aim a gun at a person & pull the trigger. A gun would be absolutely useless to me. It would, in fact, be dangerous for me to have a gun in that sort of situation. YOU are not me. I am not you.

Old 05-08-2019, 01:51 PM

65,962 posts, read 33,420,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
I donít get this argument. My FB friends said anyone who supports the NRA should unfriend her. Iím not a gun person but I donít think that is the root cause. (And a lot of the anti gun rhetoric coming from the left is about control not always about gun violence). I feel a lot of it is about the degradation of society. Parenting, social media. In the 80ís and 90ís and before we didnít have these issues and their were guns. Yes Columbine happened in 1999 but that wasnít the norm like it seems to be now. If someone wants to cause terror they will find a way.
Why were the people shot, not armed themselves? Police and the school have no authority to be your bodyguard. Ruled by the Supreme Court. Police have no legal duty to keep you safe or alive. They can only arrest people for a crime committed.
All People have the right to keep and bear arms themselves. It is a natural right to self preservation. Anything else, means you are another person's property.

Old 05-08-2019, 01:58 PM

3,202 posts, read 1,832,322 times
Quote:

Of course you are making judgments. Who are you trying to kid? Your entire ramblings are all about making judgements about people you don't even know. Especially when you use the words "we" and we're". You don't speak for everyone. Who the hell appointed you as arbiter as to how people should think?

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 05-08-2019 at 02:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies