U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2019, 11:52 AM

10,779 posts, read 2,666,455 times

Advertisements

Damn the HIPAA laws when it comes to convicted or dead killers. The public should know which drugs, legal BigPharma or illegal, were in their systems. I think it would be enlightening -- and frightening. I suspect BigPharma's lobby works hard to make sure that doesn't happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 11:52 AM

27,125 posts, read 15,672,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
To be fair, the problem with your example is that the other poster asked for an example of how to "legally" purchase a firearm, in this case the purchase was illegal (though a bit of an edge case).

To answer @scarabchuck's question, in some states it's as easy as finding a want ad online and doing a private party purchase. Completely legal.
Arizona it is super easy to but guns even on a background check.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:03 PM

16,812 posts, read 11,748,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
I donít get this argument. My FB friends said anyone who supports the NRA should unfriend her. Iím not a gun person but I donít think that is the root cause. (And a lot of the anti gun rhetoric coming from the left is about control not always about gun violence). I feel a lot of it is about the degradation of society. Parenting, social media. In the 80ís and 90ís and before we didnít have these issues and their were guns. Yes Columbine happened in 1999 but that wasnít the norm like it seems to be now. If someone wants to cause terror they will find a way.
Akin to battling heart disease by banning bacon.

Liberals are enchanted by the philosophical theory, 'no guns, no gun violence'. that is why they continue to focus on guns and pass ineffective laws that hinder legal, law abiding owners and exempt the career criminals and gang members who refuse to obey the laws.

Chipping away at firearm owners rights will eventually arrive at the threshold of their theory but never achieve it. Meanwhile the liberals who ignore the complexity of the problem gleefully accept the loss of innocent lives to achieve their long term goal of no private gun ownership.

The bulk of murders occur in predictable places committed by predictable people. School shootings are one offs that evoke very strong emotions while the weekly death toll in Chicago outpaces all the mass shootings and is reduced to numbers killed....end of story.

Putting forth creative statistics and perpetuating lies like Obama said, the safest places have the strictest gun laws, set back the approach to a solution to a complex problem. School shooting are defined as any shooting on school property while the public thinks it is a shooting that occurred within a school by demented students.

Children killed, is a perfect example of anti gun stats. Average gang member is 15 years old. Coding standards describe a child as up to 18 years of age. So two 17 year old gang bangers have a shootout and kill each other, the antis add those deaths into the list of children killed by guns.

Lies are impediments to approaching this complex problem.

Maybe instead of banning bacon, we can ban the forks that are used to move the bacon from the plate to the mouth.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:03 PM

1,933 posts, read 826,716 times
You make them illegal to own, then you find ways to incentivize people to give them up. You have to start somewhere. How did guns save your life? I never had one and never needed one and never wanted one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
And how would you remove most of them? Many don't have serial numbers. Many are not registered. I would certainly not give up my protection. I have saved myself twice with a handgun.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:06 PM

1,183 posts, read 456,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"What I am saying is the core purpose for a gun to even exist is to kill. It just is."

But, you didn't day that did you?

To make blanket statements does NOT give any room for anything else.

"What I am saying is the core purpose for a gun..."

Depends on the gun, as I stated.

I can't make you understand. Guns can kill. It really is that simple. There are a few exceptions, including guns that aren't actually guns (ie, they don't shoot or shoot paint balls, etc.). But if I show you a functioning firearm and ask, "Could this gun kill someone?" what will the answer be? I am not suggesting you USE them to kill people. But could they? If they can't, why? Are they disabled somehow? If fully functioning as they were originally intended, why can't it kill someone? Again, I'm not talking about how it is used by the owner. My guns have only ever been used to shoot ducks & deer, but I know they CAN kill a person. I guess I don't see why that's so hard to understand? It's like telling an 8 year old, "Don't touch that gun, it's dangerous!" and having them answer, "No, it only shoots targets." Come on. Why on earth are you arguing that guns don't kill? Because, that's what you're arguing...

Old 05-09-2019, 12:11 PM

15,388 posts, read 13,409,934 times
If guns were the cause of school shootings, and shootings in general, you would have a hell of a lot more of them, lol.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:11 PM

9,410 posts, read 4,529,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
You make them illegal to own, then you find ways to incentivize people to give them up. You have to start somewhere. How did guns save your life? I never had one and never needed one and never wanted one.
I worked in the inner city, part of a contract I had. Twice. I fended off gang members by showing my gun. Another contractor was murdered in the same area of town. (worked in that area for several weeks, never saw a cop) You could not find an incentive that would entice me to give up my protection or my constitutional rights. So you would make the law abiding easy prey for criminals? Typical left winger.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:12 PM
Status: "Did I just roll my eyes out loud?" (set 4 days ago)

7,318 posts, read 4,408,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Why not. They were 18. I thought you AR haters wanted the law to mirror federal and not state. Why would we give ARs to 18 year olds in the military if we can't trust them at that age? Do we punish the owners of a gun that gets it stolen after having it reasonably secured? No.
What is this "you AR haters" crap? I'm staying with a buddy this week who showed me his new AK. Do I want one of my own? Nope, but he bought his legally,so that's cool to me. He also doesn't have any kids in his house who will take it to school for a special "show and tell."

Aside from the "there's one problem that will solve school shootings" crowd, there are also folks on both sides who for some asinine reason think folks on the other side of the aisle all fit into the same box that can be labeled the same way and then placed away somewhere safely.

The law in Florida is supposed to be the same for Florida residents even if they buy a gun in Colorado. Don't like the law? Change the law.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:17 PM

10,085 posts, read 6,227,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Why are you asking me to explain this? The one example I used was of an 18 year old who bought a "long gun" she should not have been able to buy in Colorado.

So, a law was broken then , correct ?

Old 05-09-2019, 12:21 PM

10,085 posts, read 6,227,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
In simple terms. The reason you know about rhetoric from the left is the NRA. They're also They do a lot more than send mailers these days kiddo. See the millions they've spent on their own TV channel (Ollie North's failure, imagine that!).
Sorry, haven't seen a thing about the NRA. I did hear something about that channel. I might be able to get it on my Firestick, but really don't have much interest to.

Which part aren't you getting ? Several of us told you why we, and I'm sure many of our friends purchased more ammo, more firearms, and more AR's. Politicians. Pure and simple. There are plenty of examples that can be found about this. Can you provide anything from the NRA that would push owners to panic buy ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies