U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2019, 07:13 AM

10,232 posts, read 6,292,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
Again...it ALL has to do with psychology, emotions. We have seen this problem having really gone off the rails... and it could be repaired, I'm telling you.
Something is definitely wrong. When the rest of the country is seeing a decline in violent crimes we keep having these. If we can get control of this, and the inner city violence this country would be one of the safest , even with 300 million firearms in circulation.

What is the root cause of mass school shootings. What is driving these whack jobs to feel the need to kill their peers ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 07:15 AM

5,242 posts, read 2,090,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
This country needs to address bullying and educate students on bullying and put some teeth into bullying laws!
Right, this has been discussed a long while (ask Ellen DeGeneres), but is aparently still a mess. Again, proper parenting and making certain there are consequences is necessary.

I wonder is Mrs. Trump's "Be Best" campaign will be helping, when her own husband, a public figure and "leader" with a history of bullying (besides having incited violence) sets poor examples to negate that almost daily.

(Another reason to get better leadership).

Old 05-10-2019, 07:19 AM

15,959 posts, read 6,280,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
It would be helpful to have parents not contribute to causing others to grow up with problems. I really think that too many don't THINK before bringing children into possibly an already negative situation. They just go ahead, due to other influences, then attempt raising others under bad circumstances, not recognizing or addressing that they themselves may have mental issues. Abuse, poverty, broken homes, lack of guidance and improper messages contribute. (It is not always about being poor, but neglect and negative influences can still occur in any home).
Do you mean allowing inter-parent agendas to interfere with raising? If so I agree.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Something is definitely wrong. When the rest of the country is seeing a decline in violent crimes we keep having these. If we can get control of this, and the inner city violence this country would be one of the safest , even with 300 million firearms in circulation.

What is the root cause of mass school shootings. What is driving these whack jobs to feel the need to kill their peers ?
Well, read my longer post before that.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:24 AM

11,691 posts, read 4,000,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Okay, so the same as adding a law. Using that logic, making the schools gun free zones and the fact that murder is illegal should be sufficient right ?
As I said certain guns were restricted such as banning semi-automatic centre-fire rifles and restricting shotguns to a capacity of not more than three cartridges, whilst also limiting ammunition to .22 rimfire.

Further restrictions were also applied handguns, limiting them long arm .22 single-shot sporting weapons. There are two basic types of licences, a shotgun licence and a firearms licence.

Rimfire ammunition - Wikipedia

More powerful weapons used foir culling mammals need a special licence and in terms of deer have to pass qualifications such as DSC1, whilst all guns must be kept in a secure locked metal cabinet and are subject to inspection.

DSC1 - The British Deer Society

There are also background checks and a strict licensing system.

Fitness to be Entrusted with Firearms - Durham Constabulary

The UK has not had a school massacre since Dunblane in 1996.

I realise the US has a different gun culture, and I dount hanguns could be restricted, however centre fire semi-automatic weapons could be restricted as could ammunition.

Perhaps a special licence and course could be the way forward for those who want to have more powerful weapons.

As for gun politics it's not really a big issue outside the US, and nor are gun laws. It's eally an Amerian issue.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:25 AM
TKO

2,965 posts, read 3,109,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Go ahead post away, that doesn't prove anything? Anybody can post pictures of anything they want. I can post a picture of the Empire State Building, The Queen Mary 2 or the Grand Canyon but that doesn't mean I own them.
Here are my weapons with your post printed out in the middle of them. We're ready for Nazis at my house. Though shooting at the range and bird hunting are what I love to do with them.

I don't subscribe to all left wing anti gun theories and ideas. Just the ones that contain some sense. Same goes for right wing pro gun theories and ideas. You should think or yourself instead of parroting NRA propaganda to point of being insulting.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Tb7...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1t8z...ew?usp=sharing

Old 05-10-2019, 07:29 AM

4,015 posts, read 2,061,155 times
this issue is way more about guns. But certain people on the political spectrum would make it seem otherwise. Consider the people doing the killing. Mentally unstable. This country has a mental health crisis...not a gun crisis. Like I've been saying for the last year. We did not have these issue with people 35 years ago. What changed? Why are kids acting like this today? Guns were just as accessible then as they are now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
I donít get this argument. My FB friends said anyone who supports the NRA should unfriend her. Iím not a gun person but I donít think that is the root cause. (And a lot of the anti gun rhetoric coming from the left is about control not always about gun violence). I feel a lot of it is about the degradation of society. Parenting, social media. In the 80ís and 90ís and before we didnít have these issues and their were guns. Yes Columbine happened in 1999 but that wasnít the norm like it seems to be now. If someone wants to cause terror they will find a way.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:31 AM

10,232 posts, read 6,292,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
As I said certain guns were restricted such as banning semi-automatic centre-fire rifles and restricting shotguns to a capacity of not more than three cartridges, whilst also limiting ammunition to .22 rimfire.

Further restrictions were also applied handguns, limiting them long arm .22 single-shot sporting weapons. There are two basic types of licences, a shotgun licence and a firearms licence.

Rimfire ammunition - Wikipedia

More powerful weapons used foir culling mammals need a special licence and in terms of deer have to pass qualifications such as DSC1, whilst all guns must be kept in a secure locked metal cabinet and are subject to inspection.

DSC1 - The British Deer Society

There are also background checks and a strict licensing system.

Fitness to be Entrusted with Firearms - Durham Constabulary

The UK has not had a school massacre since Dunblane in 1996.

I realise the US has a different gun culture, and I dount hanguns could be restricted, however centre fire semi-automatic weapons could be restricted as could ammunition.

Perhaps a special licence and course could be the way forward for those who want to have more powerful weapons.

Again, what worked there will not work here. Our inner cities and the violence in them proves it. The fact that the majority of these mass shootings the shooter had to break multiple laws just to gain access to the firearms proves it. Some of our most violent cities have the most restrictive firearms policies... obviously they do little.
Now if one could snap their finger, Infinity Gauntlet style and in an instant all firearms and knowledge of how to build them would go poof , then I think we would see an end to firearms violence... we would still have to deal with other forms of violence though....much like you fellows across the pond are... with knives, and box trucks, and improvised explosive devices... etc.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
Here are my weapons with your post printed out in the middle of them. We're ready for Nazis at my house. Though shooting at the range and bird hunting are what I love to do with them.

I don't subscribe to all left wing anti gun theories and ideas. Just the ones that contain some sense. Same goes for right wing pro gun theories and ideas. You should think or yourself instead of parroting NRA propaganda to point of being insulting.
It's really sad that things have developed to this extent, the idea of it all being "about the enemy", everyone feeling the need to protect themselves from everyone and expecting there to be a nut with a gun around the corner.....what a country we've become. United, indeed.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:42 AM

4,268 posts, read 4,083,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I disagree re: the NRA. They USED to be about that. Now, they're about protecting the lobby and insuring that weapons manufacturers can still peddle their wares.

That said, I do agree that mental illness is what makes people shoot up schools. Not guns themselves.

But, since we cannot regulate away mental illness, maybe we need to figure out how to keep guns out of the hands of mentally ill people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
Its about mental illness and how easy it still is for the mentally ill to get guns but how hard it is for them to get treatment. Amazing how the same people who want easier access to guns still fight against easier and more affordable access to healthcare. But youíll make sure all the blame goes to the mental illness you donít want to treat.
The vast majority of "mentally ill" are not violent. Why do you want to take away the best tool for their self defense?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5ukrWC0lns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXFBXhgzHJc

If you didn't take the time to watch the videos, school shooters are not crazy. They are angry and resentful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies