U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2019, 09:33 AM

11,630 posts, read 3,981,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
What is their definition of a "military grade weapon"? Hunters over here will use a bolt-action .300 Win Mag chambered rifle for hunting out west. It's perfect for those long shots that require accuracy plus the power to bring down a large elk. That's also the same style rifle Chris Kyle used in the sand box to pick off Taliban. Almost every firearm ever designed was at one point part of a military.

Northern states in the US can't get compliance on registering certain guns. Very few would voluntarily give up the majority of their guns based on the British or Australian plans.
A military grade weapon would be a fully automatic weapon.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, shotguns and less powerful rifles are used for shooting game such as Hares, pheasants, partridges, and grouse.

More powerful weapons are permitted for those who cull deer or larger animals, however there are strict conditions and even qualifications.

It is important that large mammals are taken out cleanly, a humane dispatch pistol can be permitted in such circumstances in order to dispatch any animals that are not cleanly killed.

Most people begin with a rimfire in .22 or .17HMR for rabbiting or vermin control. Of course, if you are after a rifle for deer stalking in England you will need something over .240 and the majority of stalkers in the UK choose either a .243 and/or a .308, and you will have to apply for this on a firearms licence in relation to deer stalking (hunting). You will be expected to have undergone relevant training courses iand have knowledge of species of derr and humane dipatch.

Hunting and shooting wildlife: Mammals - GOV.UK

DSC1 - The British Deer Society

Deer stalking - BASC

Firearms and ammunition are permitted for killing deer in England and Wales.

Rifles and Ammunition:

Calibre of not less than .240 inches and a muzzle energy of not less than1,700 ft/lb (both restrictions apply)Bullet must be soft-nosed or hollow nosed. (these are expanding ammunition types)

Muntjac and Chinese water deer only - Calibre not less than .220 inches and a muzzle energy of not less than 1,000ft/lbs. Bullet must be soft-nosed or hollow-nosed weighing not less than 50 grains.

Shotguns and ammunition :these are generally prohibited but the following exemption applies in certain circumstances, amongst other conditions serious damage by deer must be proved, see the Deer Legislation guide) Not less than 12 bore. A shotgun may only be used by the occupier and certain others. Ammunition must be AAA shot or rifled slug of not less than 350 grains.(an FAC is required to possess rifled slug ammunition.

Last edited by Brave New World; 05-10-2019 at 10:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 09:34 AM

1,622 posts, read 1,062,630 times
"Guns" are pretty far down the list when evaluating what school shootings are "about." That the left doesn't understand this indirectly contributes to the problem.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:36 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,063,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
A military grade weapon would be a fully automatic weapon.
Very few gun deaths are caused by full auto's and it takes a lot more time, effort and $$ to legally acquire one. Having an outright ban on full auto's would do almost nothing from a practical standpoint.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:44 AM

3,279 posts, read 1,872,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Yes. I have been. Yes. I have read. I'm not a Democrat or even a "liberal, left winger" whatever that is.

I'm an independent. And, I used to carry concealed. And... I have owned guns... I refuse to state publicly whether I currently own/possess any because I think it's rather foolish to go on about such things publicly either way.

But, I am an excellent marksperson and I am not anti-gun.

The NRA of today is not the NRA of even the 1970s, though.
I've read a lot of you posts. Let's just say that you're an Independent that leans Left. At least that's the impression that I got.

As for the NRA thing I have to strongly disagree with your assessment of them for the reasons that I've mentioned in my previous post.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:44 AM

4,266 posts, read 4,079,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
That is the biggest sticking point for gun bans. You can take a hunting rifle, throw some black and camo "tactical" stuff on it, and someone will call it a Assault Rifle. I do think background checks should be tightened in some areas but I still fail to understand why banning semi-automatic rifles with plastic cladding that look "Military grade" is helpful. Mental Health care is what is failing us in many aspects.
A limit on muzzle velocity and round size is the only plausible idea I have heard, but again that would hit good ole Elmer Fud rifles too.
I see you didn't watch the videos I linked to.

California banned the .50 BMG cartridge. It wasn't popular but someone freaked and said it can bring down a plane. Gone. No .50 caliber center fire rifles any more in California. So what do innovative people do? They introduce a large caliber cartridge that shoots straighter, farther and delivers more energy at 1,000 yards than a .50 cal. All perfectly legal according to California law. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.416_Barrett

Old 05-10-2019, 09:47 AM

10,164 posts, read 6,274,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
1/8 of a mile is only 220 yards.

All good collections should have those.

Good point. I should be able to do that with what I currently have.... Just never had the opportunity to shoot further than 100 yds

Old 05-10-2019, 09:56 AM

4,266 posts, read 4,079,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Good point. I should be able to do that with what I currently have.... Just never had the opportunity to shoot further than 100 yds
Sight in an AR-15 at 25 yards and the barrel to optic offset means you are usually right on target at the 200 yard mark. You shoot about 2 inches high at 100 yards. Your mileage may vary depending on your equipment.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:57 AM

11,630 posts, read 3,981,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Very few gun deaths are caused by full auto's and it takes a lot more time, effort and $$ to legally acquire one. Having an outright ban on full auto's would do almost nothing from a practical standpoint.
Very few countries permit fuly automatic weapons.

Old 05-10-2019, 10:00 AM

3,279 posts, read 1,872,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
Here are my weapons with your post printed out in the middle of them. We're ready for Nazis at my house. Though shooting at the range and bird hunting are what I love to do with them.

I don't subscribe to all left wing anti gun theories and ideas. Just the ones that contain some sense. Same goes for right wing pro gun theories and ideas. You should think or yourself instead of parroting NRA propaganda to point of being insulting.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Tb7...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1t8z...ew?usp=sharing
That still doesn't prove that those are your guns. Ever hear of Photoshop?

Old 05-10-2019, 10:16 AM

36,914 posts, read 16,100,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
You are twisting so hard, you must be dizzy. I know people die in a variety of ways. I know a number of non-weapons can be weaponized. But a swimming pool is not a weapon. A hammer is not a weapon. A car is not a weapon. They CAN all result in death, but that is not their intended use.

I want you to answer ONE question, just one: What is the designed intent of most guns?

And, no, not everything in my house is locked up. But unsecured guns and children are a particularly worrying combo. If one keeps a loaded gun in a bedside table, and it is found by a toddler, it can have immediate & deadly consequences. Children are often in awe of a gun, and that can have deadly consequences. There is not the same sense of power associated with a screwdriver or kitchen shears. Kids are fascinated by the forbidden, too. But, that is up to the gun owner. If that gun owner is deluding himself that guns are somehow not lethal (which seems to be what you are arguing, btw), that can have deadly consequences.

Let me repeat, I do not think ill of people who have guns for personal protection, or for most other reasons. All I'm saying is, let's not keep delusional thought & language of guns at the fore. If you shoot someone, you could do grave bodily harm. Is that incorrect? Why is the fact that guns can be lethal such a sensitive spot for you?
"I want you to answer ONE question, just one: What is the designed intent of most guns?"

So NOW you are moving the goal posts.

I also note you did NOT respond to all the ACTUAL case I posed about kids who used a gun for protection.

MOST gun crimes are averted just by showing you HAVE gun and NO shots we fired.

I hope it never happens to your family but, IF 2 armed gunmen break into your house, DON'T try to tell them their guns are probably ILLEGAL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies