Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2019, 04:44 PM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times

Advertisements

We had another home invasion by multiple attackers near me recently, and in a "nice neighborhood". They had no means to defend themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 07:19 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,670,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
and many are mentally unstable. again what has changed in the last 35 years?

Angry and resentful kids back then didnt do this.
I think one thing is to do with violent video games that made guns and shooting seem more familiar or commonplace. Over time, using devices and the Internet accelerated access to having exposure, meeting others, being rejected, being popular or not, which likely contributes to problems. There is more of a focus and pressure upon physical attractiveness, sharing photos. (I recall younger women discussing in the relationships section, how it was "just a revolving door" meeting online, that if it didn't work out for a guy, he "just clicks on the next opportunity" - for sex). It's appears even worse, for those attempting to develop a relationship, than it once was. Anyway...

I've not seen yet if it was referred to, but recalling the student having shot those in Santa Barbara, CA had recorded his feelings beforehand in an online video about "being rejected by the 'hot' girls", being the basis for his retaliation. I believe his divorced mother had a slew of guns, so he had direct access to.

Again, if this guy had such self-esteem and anger issues, it could have been worked on, but many don't take to the idea of getting psychological help. (Actually, he may have been seeing someone, I don't recall). I would believe that he wasn't okay a long while before and the rejection just put him over the edge. I believe he came from wealth, too.

Look at all the young people having become suicidal. There are other young people who will develop well despite feeling less attractive, not having "the girl of his dreams", having lots of money. They may have had more emotional support, care or ego-boosting while growing up. (Of course, there are different personalities in general).

It is a real problem and I feel that it is rooted in how a person develops, what they are exposed to or environment they are raised in. Life is tough enough, even under the best of other circumstances.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:36 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,301,494 times
It was bound to come to this.

If there were never guns to begin with, today's angry youth would drive their cars and trucks over those they hate.

But we do have guns, so they use those.

Plus guns are easier to hide down ones pants.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:14 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,512,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
I think kids had more respect for their parents than to make them the parents of a school shooter.
So a kid back in the day thought, "I'd really like to shoot up my school, but, damn, I jsut have too much respect for my folks." They weren't afraid of geting killed by a police officer or spending the rest of their lives in prison or going to hell when they died... but they didn't want to dis their parents?

Well, if nothing else, that's a new thing to blame for school shooting.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:15 PM

OK, this could be an explosive question to ask, but I'll ask anyway. Why are most school shooters white males? And a good number of them come from two parents homes.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:43 PM

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
It was bound to come to this.

If there were never guns to begin with, today's angry youth would drive their cars and trucks over those they hate.

But we do have guns, so they use those.

Plus guns are easier to hide down ones pants.
What in the f$%k does this post mean?

Old 05-10-2019, 09:14 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,670,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
OK, this could be an explosive question to ask, but I'll ask anyway. Why are most school shooters white males? And a good number of them come from two parents homes.
I mentioned one earlier, being mad and resentful that he "couldn't get the hot girls". It seems that there have been others who were also "not popular", lashing out at others. Sheesh.

Again, if it cannot be seen how troubled one would be to act out in this way, that these feelings had not just developed over night, but were overlooked.

So, when some see their kid at home in their room, keeping to themselves, using a device and not having many or any friends..it may mean nothing, some might be introverted, involved in something else, enjoy reading, are intellectuals, etc., but another might be one who is sullen...and knows where Dad's Guns are. What about kids who spend lots of time with Video Gaming, with the aggression involved, winning by shooting. (I know little about them or how popular they may still be, but know it has been said that they are very violent, and appear to "glamorize" gun usage... NOT a good thing).

Old 05-10-2019, 09:29 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
The female shooting suspect is transgender and insists on being addressed/referred to with male pronouns.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:37 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,301,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The female shooting suspect is transgender and insists on being addressed/referred to with male pronouns.
Maybe life will be easier at the Colorado School for Wayward Girls.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
I mentioned one earlier, being mad and resentful that he "couldn't get the hot girls". It seems that there have been others who were also "not popular", lashing out at others. Sheesh.
Ah, the School Shooter As Victim of Bullying Theory. Let's see how that plays out....
Quote:
But Dave Cullen, author of Columbine, the definitive book on the 1999 Columbine High School shooting in Colorado, says those stereotypes were never true to begin with.

"Everybody knows who commits these kind of murders. They're outcasts, typically goth or other sorts of kids that dress funny and live on the fringes," Cullen said. "That's well known. It's also wrong."
Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris were not the poor little bullied kids they were initially made out to be.

Think school shooters are usually bullied and unpopular?

And about the latest shooting in Colorado....

Quote:
One of the students accused of opening fire at a Denver area STEM school, killing one student and wounding eight other people, bullied younger kids and would make jokes about shooting up the school, students said.
Suspected Colorado STEM shooter was a bully, made jokes about school shootings, students say

School shooters don't fit a single profile They're not all outcases, they're not all mentally ill. They're not all on some kind of medication. They're not all rich,poor, or middle class. They're not all from broken homes. They don't all "disrespect" their parents or hate God, America and apple pie. They are all white, Baptist, Islamic, black, bi, straight or gay, Republican, Democrat, sports fans or D&D nerds.

They're not all anything.

That's what I have been trying to say. You folks who think there is one answer to this horrific problem are just wrong. It's not all guns or mental health issues or hatred or bullying or anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies