U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 07:09 PM

15,587 posts, read 6,159,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
Lovely, so your heroes are people that REALLY want to and know how to murder!
You forgot pol pot, Stalin and Hitler...
But include Ted Bundy, Ted Kazinski (sp), Charles Manson and David Berkowitz. As a Jew I find Hitler a bit much to stomach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2019, 07:12 PM
Status: "Did I just roll my eyes out loud?" (set 4 days ago)

7,318 posts, read 4,408,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Adam Lanza was not.
Thus my use of the word most. The Newton shooter seems to not fit anyone's preconceived notion of what a school shooter is. At the basic level, most school shooters shoot up the school they are currently attending or at least did so in the recent past. I wasn't even sure he ever attended Sandy Hook, but a quick glance online says he did previously. Folks said he had a “scorn for humanity.” This sounds a lot like Eric Harris. From what I know, Lanza was not as able as Harris to appear somewhat normal. Harris had friends, got good grades and held down a steady job.

Old 05-13-2019, 01:51 AM

5,080 posts, read 2,042,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
That is the issue, that he hadn't gotten help to deal with his feelings in a different way.

Those reacting this way may not all be the same in personality or background, but have in common the impulse to attack, due to emotional pain they have not dealt with. What they have in common is having somewhere along the line developed a problem, not having it recognized or treated. No matter what, those having reacted as they had (or an adult having done similarly) are emotionally unwell.

So, you do not believe anything is the cause for one to react in this way?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The quoted portion of the post is rife with contradictions. Whose fault is it that they choose to deal with their problems by killing someone?
Theirs...having stemmed from their upbringing and not having been recognized by their parents that there was a problem OR their having been self-aware enough to know they needed help prior to or while considering the impulse to kill others.

Last edited by In2itive_1; 05-13-2019 at 02:06 AM.. Reason: Addition

Old 05-13-2019, 08:54 AM

15,587 posts, read 6,159,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
Theirs...having stemmed from their upbringing and not having been recognized by their parents that there was a problem OR their having been self-aware enough to know they needed help prior to or while considering the impulse to kill others.
Thanks. In order to maintain an orderly society we must pin responsibility on the actor. However, the community should keep alert as to how people are doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies