Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 08:36 AM

538 posts, read 382,718 times

Advertisements

I don’t get this argument. My FB friends said anyone who supports the NRA should unfriend her. I’m not a gun person but I don’t think that is the root cause. (And a lot of the anti gun rhetoric coming from the left is about control not always about gun violence). I feel a lot of it is about the degradation of society. Parenting, social media. In the 80’s and 90’s and before we didn’t have these issues and their were guns. Yes Columbine happened in 1999 but that wasn’t the norm like it seems to be now. If someone wants to cause terror they will find a way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 08:42 AM

2,923 posts, read 968,874 times
I agree it is largely the degradation of society but guns aren't going away so schools need to find a way to protect themselves. Probably a good idea for churches too.

I also blame it on the media and 'diversity'. The media makes a deal out each one of these because they want gun control and it only ends making these shootings popular because the killer knows they will get lots of media coverage. Forced diversity with cultures that do not want to assimilate are also part of the reason why there is so much anger. Also, TDS.

Old 05-08-2019, 08:43 AM

15,868 posts, read 6,668,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
I don’t get this argument. My FB friends said anyone who supports the NRA should unfriend her. I’m not a gun person but I don’t think that is the root cause. (And a lot of the anti gun rhetoric coming from the left is about control not always about gun violence). I feel a lot of it is about the degradation of society. Parenting, social media. In the 80’s and 90’s and before we didn’t have these issues and their were guns. Yes Columbine happened in 1999 but that wasn’t the norm like it seems to be now. If someone wants to cause terror they will find a way.
Ask your FB friends when a vehicle was used to mow down innocent lives why no ban was placed on pick up trucks.
Tell your Feather Brained friends people kill not guns,trucks,bottles knives,rocks or words.

Old 05-08-2019, 08:46 AM

34,133 posts, read 18,385,442 times
Mental illness is the ROOT CAUSE, not guns. How do you fix people being mentally ill? I don't know. They often tip us off for years, and nobody does anything significant to help them, treat them, or removing them from society at least for a while. We have a lack of mental health facilities in the U.S. I live in a very large metro area. Only ONE hospital has a psychiatric unit in the region of many, many hospitals, medical schools, and clinics.

Our energy should be going to addressing, and treating the mentally ill.

Old 05-08-2019, 08:48 AM

50,075 posts, read 46,640,356 times
How can you stop people bent on killing themselves after killing as many as possible? Think about how dark that is and then try to apply that logic to "banning" certain types of guns or banning them altogether with 400 million firearms in the U.S.

Suicide and murder are the ultimate mental sickness.

Old 05-08-2019, 08:57 AM

3,372 posts, read 1,552,324 times
These kids are messed up. A lot of parents these days to a horrible job of raising kids. Don't spend the proper amount of time with them, don't teach them right from wrong, and don't tell them no along the way. Kids get their way all the time, and then when they finally don't, they act out.

Also, look at the influences kids have today in pop culture, etc. and when you combine social media into the equation you can see why they are so twisted. Many do not have positive influences at home or outside of the home. Many of these kids are also on every medication under the sun which of course will mess them up further (Big Pharma crowd doesn't like hearing that).

In my profession I work with 18-23 year-olds on a daily basis. I have been doing it for over 12 years now. I never used to worry about my safety at work, but now I do on a daily basis because I encounter so many kids who perceive to be capable of "lashing out." Many are rude and disrespectful to your face, and when they don't get their way because they have done something wrong, what are they going to do in retaliation is always my thought process now. Even over the past 12+ years things have changed dramatically.

Old 05-08-2019, 09:01 AM

3,040 posts, read 3,221,751 times
I posted this on the thread about the latest shooting but it does seem to fit the OP's question. This was in response to someone saying "access to guns is a major problem OBVIOUSLY".

Actually not so obviously. Pre 1968 one could purchase firearms with no background check or id. You could walk into a gas station general store and walk out minutes later with a firearm. You could order a firearm through the Sears catalog and have it shipped straight to your house. Access to guns is much more difficult now than it was back then but yet we didn't have these types of mass shootings to the extent we see today. So what has changed, certainly it's not availability. This is a key question because any attempt to address the issue of mass murders without ascertaining the root cause vs simply attempting to treat symptoms will only lead to a shifting of symptoms while core issues continue to grow and get worse.

Old 05-08-2019, 09:02 AM

24,289 posts, read 16,963,561 times
The NRA stands to protect the Second Amendment Rights of every citizen whether they want it or not and they promote the safe law abiding use of firearms.

When it comes to school shootings how deranged does someone need to be to willingly use a gun to mow down innocent people? What school shooting has not been premeditated? We are not talking about some gang banging idiot that carries a gun and pulls it out and shoots someone because they looked at his girlfriend or dared to step on his "turf".

I heard on the news this morning about a school shooting in Colorado. One kid is 18 and the other a minor that was only identified as a transgendered student that was born a girl but identifies as a boy. One can only imagine the taunting and teasing but still it takes another level of derangement to take a gun and start shooting people.

It is all about mental illness because sane people would not shoot innocent people.

Old 05-08-2019, 09:03 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,254,254 times
The violence in schools part has nothing to do with guns. Common sense says the shooting part has to do with how easy guns are for a kid to get his hands on.

The NRA is nothing but shills for the gun manufactures anymore. Sad, because they used to be about firearms safety and education. Now they're a political lobby group just as slimy as all the other lobbyists.

Old 05-08-2019, 09:12 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,654,023 times
until we change the hearts and minds of the people that do these kinds of things, we are never going to end school and other shootings. a gun is only a tool that in these types of cases is being misused. take away every gun in the world, and take away all the knowledge and ability to make a gun right now, and someone will figure out how to make something similar, and someone else will use it for evil purposes.

cavemen used rocks and clubs to take down game animals, and they also used them to take down opposing tribes. the federal building in oklahoma was not taken down by a gun, it was taken down by a very large bomb created by someone with evil intent.

as i have said many times in the past, if i were of a bent to go out and kill as many people as i could, i would not use a gun, its too inefficient overall. a large truck bomb works much better, and toss in some radioactive material, and the killing continues into the future from one event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies