U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2019, 04:26 PM

4,877 posts, read 2,352,360 times

Advertisements

OMG - folks we're talking about chips, ho-hos, pop, candy and fast food - take a chill pill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2019, 04:27 PM

18,927 posts, read 6,877,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Good point, one of my great aunts couldn't keep weight on when she was in her late 90s so the doctor told her to drink two or three milkshakes a day, she didn't get SNAP but I guess if she had she could have chewed on celery sticks or carrots rather than have her milkshakes, because we are sooo good at deciding what's best for other people
My grandmother's sister (my great aunt) just passed a few months ago at the age of 89, and starting about age 70, she was losing about 1 lbs every 6 months, and it wasn't intentional (she was only 110 to begin with). When she passed, she only weighed 69 lbs!

Old 05-11-2019, 04:46 PM

1,855 posts, read 913,422 times
Quote:
What I think they fail to see is that if administering SNAP becomes too complex and expensive stores will simply quit honoring EBT cards - they aren't under any mandate to accept them.
Maybe some of them are hoping that will happen.

Old 05-11-2019, 04:47 PM

10,101 posts, read 6,326,478 times
"Texas bill to ban food stamps for junk food "

Sounds like it will be similar to WIC (which is a great program imho), no junk food there either. I dunno, part of me is uncomfortable with being a food Nazi, the other part thinks it's a smart move. After all, it is our tax money.

Old 05-11-2019, 04:49 PM

31,085 posts, read 13,614,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I worked as a cashier in a grocery store in the late 70's/early 80's. I could tell a food stamp order from across the store. When all of us were cutting back on meat due to prices skyrocketing, the food stampers would pull up with carts full of it.
That's amazing given that the average SNAP benefit is $126 per month per person..must have been some cheap meat

Old 05-11-2019, 04:54 PM

1,855 posts, read 913,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I assume you do not mean federal income taxes?
They take federal taxes out of low paychecks too, unless the worker wrote exempt in that box on the form they make you fill out when first hired. Then they get the money back when they file their tax returns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Pizza isn't empty calories, it has protein, iron, calcium and Vitamin D (especially if you get meat toppings); it just happens to also have fat and sodium, but that doesn't cancel out the nutrients it does have
It depends on the pizza. The cheaper pizzas are mostly carbs with very little meat. Those are the kind a lot of poor people eat. The best kind is making it yourself and you control more of what's in it.

Old 05-11-2019, 05:10 PM

31,085 posts, read 13,614,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
SNAP is like FDIC insured money. Don't have to worry about bad checks, counterfeit money, bad credit cards, or hard economic times.

As long as the government keeps printing, stealing and paying the stores (meaning a guarantee) they will continue to embrace SNAP.
It would be complex and expensive to implement and would probably not be feasible for small stores, and it's unlikely to 'fix' the alleged problem:

Quote:
There are more than 650,000 food and beverage products on the market today, and 20,000 more are introduced annually.[6] The complexity is multiplied because there is no clear standard for defining foods as “healthy” or “unhealthy,” or as luxury goods. Creating such standards would be difficult at best, and would entail substantial administrative costs to categorize and track the nutritional profile of each good to produce a SNAP-eligible foods list. The list would have to be maintained continuously and communicated to retailers and consumers in real time. My prediction is that the additional bureaucracy needed to support such an undertaking is not likely to save taxpayer money.

Furthermore, items should not be classified in a manner that suggests a particular food is always “good” or “bad.” The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, the largest organization of food and nutrition professionals, has adopted a position statement that the “total diet” or overall pattern of food eaten should be the most important focus of healthy eating.[7] All foods can fit into a healthy diet if consumed in moderation and with appropriate portion size, and as a result no particular food should be always banned. https://www.brookings.edu/testimonie...nap-purchases/

Old 05-11-2019, 07:05 PM

34,692 posts, read 33,704,884 times
Quote:
I think you are confused, the restrictions on what you can buy with SNAP is being pushed by the same American Taliban that wants to outlaw abortion, I thought you would be pleased...
My only thing with SANP is that if their kids are being fed in school for free, their SANP money should be adjusted down. I wouldn't restrict what they purchase. If they buy lobster, for example, it just means they have to live on less the rest of the month.

Of course, eating potato chips is hardly baby murder.

Old 05-12-2019, 05:25 AM

7,140 posts, read 1,791,791 times
Quote:
It would be complex and expensive to implement and would probably not be feasible for small stores, and it's unlikely to 'fix' the alleged problem:
You have a database of UPC codes that get blocked from being used by stores for use by EBT cards just like it is now for items not allowed provided by the state of Texas in this case. It would be very easy on a store level. I used to run a retail store that took EBT and I would input price changes etc.

Just like now the cashier would ring everything up and whatever was not allowed to be purchased via EBT including, cigs, liquor, diapers and baby formula as well as junk food if this law passed would leave a cash balance. The customer would have to pay for it themselves if they still wanted those items.

It would be very easy and cost virtually nothing for a small store to do.

Two issues however. The state of Texas would have to determine what foods would not be allowed which would be a big task and junk food companies would try to push to keep their products on the EBT list.

Old 05-12-2019, 05:35 AM

7,140 posts, read 1,791,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
If you go on any low carb/atkins/grain free forums you'll see people talking about carrots, potatoes and whole grains like their pure poison. They will insist these foods cause heart disease and diabetes.

Yes there are conflicting weight loss diets. What does that have to do with foods called junk foods which are almost universally accepted as worthless foods that are bad for people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or