U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2019, 12:01 PM

66,501 posts, read 30,333,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Good. No child should ever go hungry in this country. It's unconscionable.
Why aren't their parents, who receive SNAP and a myriad of other means-tested public assistance benefits, feeding them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2019, 12:01 PM

11,704 posts, read 6,293,874 times
I think this is a good move. While I have no problem with people using food stamps on pricier food items like lobster, I draw the line at government paying for foods that are shown to have a link to serious health problems.

Old 05-12-2019, 12:03 PM

31,667 posts, read 19,975,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Why aren't their parents, who receive SNAP and a myriad of other means-tested public assistance benefits, feeding them?
Don't know, don't care. Children should have food.

As was pointed out, it's free to everyone (first meals), so why pick on SNAP recipients?

Plus, you don't know what, if any, benefits they are receiving.

Out of all the ways my tax dollars are misspent, feeding hungry children does not make my list of problems.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 05-12-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
From the Pricing and Payments page on the above-linked site:

So it's not just those morally-bankrupt poor children who get free meals; it's all students. If SNAP benefits should be cut for the poor families, what punishment should be meted out for the well-off families whose children are getting free meals at school?
The same. No more free school meals. SNAP benefits are provided for a reason. Duplication of benefits/services is making SNAP recipients obese at disproportionate rates.

Here's what we know...

The obesity rates of the poor on food stamps compared to the poor who aren't on food stamps, and compared to the rest of the population:

Income-eligible children on food stamps: 24%
Income-eligible children NOT on food stamps: 20%
Non-poor children who of course don't even qualify for food stamps: 13%

Kids who get Food Stamps (and free school meals, and who knows how many additional Nutrition Service benefits) have an 85% higher obesity rate than kids who don't qualify for those benefits.

Income-eligible adults on food stamps: 44% obese
Income-eligible adults NOT on food stamps: 33% obese
Non-poor adults who of course don't even qualify for food stamps: 32% obese

Adults who get Food Stamps (and who knows how many additional Nutrition Service benefits) have a 33.3% higher obesity rate than adults who qualify for those benefits but choose to not receive them.

Do the math, and recognize that this is a SIGNIFICANT problem.

Exhibit 5, here:
http://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/defaul...-SNAP07-10.pdf

Also, it certainly does appear that the children of poor and low-income families who receive free school breakfast, lunch, etc., program meals, regardless of whether they get food stamps, are being overfed.

And to confirm, the USDA OIG (Office of the Inspector General) has found that a full 59% of families on Food Stamps also double-dip and triple-dip, or more, free food benefits from major Federal means-tested free food programs for the exact same daily meals:

Overlap and Duplication in Food and Nutrition Service's Nutrition Programs - USDA OIG
http://www.usda.gov/oig/webdocs/27001-0001-10.pdf

Let that sink in... A full 59% of families on Food Stamps also double-dip and triple-dip, or more, free food benefits from major Federal means-tested free food programs (like free school breakfast/lunch/dinner in after school programs) for the exact same daily meals.

Are we really doing the poor any favors by causing their obesity by letting them double-dip and sometimes even triple-dip or more government free food program benefits, thereby enabling their overeating and ruining their health? They are disproportionately obese, and cost us a lot more tax money to pay for their obesity-related health problems, such as heart disease and diabetes.

Old 05-12-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Don't know, don't care. Children should have food.
Even when it's making them obese at disproportionate rates as the USDA clearly discloses?

Ruin their health? That's your position?

Old 05-12-2019, 12:27 PM

31,667 posts, read 19,975,978 times
Quote:
Even when it's making them obese at disproportionate rates as the USDA clearly discloses?

Ruin their health? That's your position?
Yes, of course, that is my point.

The US is obese in general, the numbers between the SNAP recipients on Gen Pop is comparable. So I don't really see that as a point.

I've already posted I would like to see benefits with some limitation reducing junk food, or increase the benefits for healthy food.

I am for whole foods, home cooking and all of that for everyone.

I am not for taking food out of the mouths of children, I am for putting healthier stuff in.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 05-12-2019, 12:34 PM

11,450 posts, read 8,441,086 times
Informed Consent.

It has been a year or 2 since I last looked at the reduced and free lunch program. The rules was the school district was required to verify only 3% of the enrollment or 3000 applications, whichever was less. The verification process was a letter asking the applicant to prove their eligibility. All the applicant had to do was ignore the letter and start paying for their kids lunch.

There was a district in California that sent letters to all applicants. Not one person came in to verify their income. Anther district gave a $10 Walmart card to all applicants.

Old 05-12-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Yes, of course, that is my point.
Sure sounds like it. Thank you for honestly admitting it.

Quote:
The US is obese in general, the numbers between the SNAP recipients on Gen Pop is comparable..
No, it is not. Do the math, according to the USDA's own published facts.

The obesity rate of adults on SNAP is 37.5% higher than adults not on SNAP.

And it's even more alarming for children. The obesity rate of children on SNAP is 84.6% higher than children not on SNAP.

An 84.6% higher obesity rate among children on SNAP and you somehow don't realize that's ruining children's health?

Old 05-12-2019, 02:12 PM

31,071 posts, read 13,598,798 times
Quote:
The same. No more free school meals. SNAP benefits are provided for a reason. Duplication of benefits/services is making SNAP recipients obese at disproportionate rates.

Here's what we know... The obesity rates of the poor on food stamps compared to the poor who aren't on food stamps, and compared to the rest of the population: *snip*
Or..maybe your 12 year old data is outdated, or perhaps it didn't look into the reasons for a higher obesity rate?

Quote:
SNAP participation may reduce childhood obesity. The potential effect of SNAP participation on obesity is ambiguous. Families could use the additional benefits provided by SNAP to simply increase the amount of food that they buy and eat, which could lead to increases in weight. Or they could use the additional benefits to make healthier food choices, which could lead to reductions in weight. [35] The research in this area is equally ambiguous, with many studies finding no evidence of a link between SNAP and obesity, some suggesting that SNAP participation might reduce the risk of childhood obesity, and others suggesting that it might increase those risks.[36] One study estimated upper and lower boundaries on the range of potential impacts of SNAP and concluded that SNAP appears to lead to at least modest health improvements reducing poor general health by 3.1 percentage points, obesity by 5.3 percentage points, and anemia by 1.6 percentage points and could dramatically improve the health of children in the United States.[37]
https://www.cbpp.org/research/food-a...ricas-children

Old 05-12-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Or..maybe your 12 year old data is outdated, or perhaps it didn't look into the reasons for a higher obesity rate?
It's not 12 years old. Apparently, you're bad at math.

Published by the USDA in May, 2015.

Last edited by InformedConsent; 05-12-2019 at 04:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or