Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2019, 04:25 PM

983 posts, read 994,528 times

Advertisements

If we want SNAP beneficiaries to eat healthy, we have to make healthy food available, simple as that.
Food deserts are a real problem in urban areas, and in rural areas. I travel through a small town, and there’s no grocery stores with a good selection of fruits and vegetables but plenty of convenience stores, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, McDonalds.

This country is drowning in junk food. This is America, we grow plenty of food. Make healthy food available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 04:28 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Anything taxed isn't allowed. That includes hot deli foods (which I was surprised about when I found out about that). I thought it would be nice for those on food stamps to be able to get a hot prepared meal at the deli section. But when I was in line, someone in front of me didn't know that apparently and tried to by a hot meal with food stamps. Couldn't do it. I asked my friend working there why not. They explained to me it's the tax reason. That should be the one exception I think.
I'm not sure if all states offer it, but some Counties in California offer an "EBT restaurant meal program" for eligible homeless, disabled, and/or elderly (ages 60 and above) SNAP recipients to use their CalFresh benefits to purchase hot, prepared food from participating restaurants.
EBT Restaurant Meals Program

Old 05-13-2019, 04:34 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,027,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartWA View Post
If we want SNAP beneficiaries to eat healthy, we have to make healthy food available, simple as that.
Food deserts are a real problem in urban areas, and in rural areas. I travel through a small town, and there’s no grocery stores with a good selection of fruits and vegetables but plenty of convenience stores, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, McDonalds.

This country is drowning in junk food. This is America, we grow plenty of food. Make healthy food available.
healthy food is available to everyone and it isnt more expensive. Welfare people are typically lazy so they want the easiest food.

Old 05-13-2019, 05:04 PM

37,952 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm not sure if all states offer it, but some Counties in California offer an "EBT restaurant meal program" for eligible homeless, disabled, and/or elderly (ages 60 and above) SNAP recipients to use their CalFresh benefits to purchase hot, prepared food from participating restaurants.
EBT Restaurant Meals Program
The smart thing to do is not enable the poor to spend more by eating out.

Old 05-13-2019, 05:26 PM

24,388 posts, read 23,044,056 times
Well good on Texas. Have you ever looked at the purchases of those on food stamps? Microwave meals, junk food, soda. At least WIC makes them buy healthy foods like cereal milk and eggs.

Old 05-13-2019, 05:52 PM

45,203 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:

I support your opening of a health food store in the ghetto

Old 05-13-2019, 06:01 PM

983 posts, read 994,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I support your opening of a health food store in the ghetto
That’s the whole problem. Forget a health food store, just getting a major grocer in a low income neighborhood is really hard. What do people do? Run to the convenience store, or the Taco Bell, ect.

Old 05-13-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
That’s the whole problem. Forget a health food store, just getting a major grocer in a low income neighborhood is really hard. What do people do? Run to the convenience store, or the Taco Bell, ect.
Ill bet you if the convenient store gets enough requests for broccoli it will keep it on hand

Old 05-13-2019, 06:04 PM

88,964 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Perhaps if theft and/or the problem of finding capable workers in such neighborhoods weren't such a problem, more stores with healthy food would open there.

Old 05-13-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Perhaps if theft and/or the problem of finding capable workers in such neighborhoods weren't such a problem, more stores with healthy food would open there.
Workin is for suckers. Especially when the state will pay your way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies