Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 03:18 PM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
That would be Big Corn ( sugar) and Big Grocer.

You may recall, the Obama Admin was hung out to dry for eliminating most junk food from all subsidized school lunch programs. Nothing at the Federal level prevented kids from bringing junk from home.

Michele Obama's project was to get kids moving to curb childhood obesity. That too was mocked by the Obama haters.
I understand the corn syrup producers have put that stuff in everything. We had a neighbor who sold that stuff by the tank car. He had a booming business. A fast food burger doodle opened not far from our house. We drove past it a couple years and finally decided to check it out. They even put sweetener in the bun. We threw it away.

It was sad to see what the parents and cafeteria ladies did to Michelle Obama. I thought it was the job of parents to teach the kids about nutrition. Looks like most just feed them what they like. FF and nuggets.

Years ago when the kids were in band I had to take food and work the food line when other bands were at our school for competition. Most moms brought donuts and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. they thought i was odd for bring carrots, celery, cucumbers.apples and pears. To their surprise that went first.

The kids who have gardens at school eat their veggies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 03:20 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
American conservatives/Republicans: We believe in armed robbery and big government when it aids in our vision of freedom.
There is no diff between parties despite the $ billions spent to convince the public otherwise.

Perhaps this is one of the reasons why Independents/ Unaffiliated outnumber registered Democrats and Republicans.

Old 05-08-2019, 03:20 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
They should ban luxury food items too.
"They" should ban every welfare scheme. Help with your own time and dollars, not your neighbors.

Old 05-08-2019, 03:30 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
This is a no-brainer. Food stamps were never meant to be used for junk food and pop.

Old 05-08-2019, 04:06 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You don't define junk food, you define what is acceptable. Fresh meat, fish, vegetable, fruits etc. Anything canned or boxed you limit to vegetables, spaghetti, rice, flour etc. You also put a cost per pound limit on things, e.g. if you want beef you shouldn't be able to buy fillet Mignon unless you are getting good deal on it.
This is where I draw the line. No soda or other really useless junk BUT I don't like the punitive part of telling people what kind of meat they can buy. Few are going to buy fillet mignon anyway, but if, once a year, someone did to celebrate an anniversary or something, by all means, go for it.

I do not like punishing people for being poor and to make them suffer. I just want to stop the soda and other stuff that has hardly any nutritional value, stuff that makes people fat and sick. Food stamps should be for FOOD. As you mentioned above, acceptable food.

Old 05-08-2019, 04:13 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Sure, there own voters.

Heavy red districts that hover at the poverty line are many in Texas. Add to that the increase in democrats winning in Texas who would love to regulate all processed food out of the equation.

Of course if you do that, benifits would need to increase to cover the cost of fresh fruits, meats, and unprocessed ingredients. This is the slippery slope we always worry about with regulation of personal behaviors.
It is cheaper to eat meals prepared at home than it is to eat processed foods. Anyone who actually grocery shops with a budget can tell you that.

Old 05-08-2019, 04:19 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
BUT I don't like the punitive part of telling people what kind of meat they can buy.

The goal of food stamps is to feed and nourish people who cannot feed themselves. $25 a pound Alaskan King crab is not accomplishing that goal.

Old 05-08-2019, 04:47 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,957,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
American conservatives/Republicans: We believe in armed robbery and big government when it aids in our vision of freedom.
I am surprised they do not push these government controls on everyone, since our health care costs are so high from people eating unhealthy food.

They are paying high prices there and I have never meant anyone to refuse healthcare treatment.

Old 05-08-2019, 04:49 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
There is no diff between parties despite the $ billions spent to convince the public otherwise.

Perhaps this is one of the reasons why Independents/ Unaffiliated outnumber registered Democrats and Republicans.
But what do independents/the unaffiliated eventually do?

They vote. And they vote for a member of Team Red or Team Blue.

So that strategy is obviously not working. Maybe not playing the unwinnable game is the answer?

Old 05-08-2019, 04:52 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I'm for it as a concept, but I would need to see the details.

But I could be wrong. I was for drug testing welfare recipients and the costs vastly outweighed the gains, so I was wrong on that.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies