Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2019, 09:56 AM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Good point, one of my great aunts couldn't keep weight on when she was in her late 90s so the doctor told her to drink two or three milkshakes a day, she didn't get SNAP but I guess if she had she could have chewed on celery sticks or carrots rather than have her milkshakes, because we are sooo good at deciding what's best for other people
I think Ensure would be a healthier option.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2019, 09:57 AM

4,911 posts, read 3,427,974 times
So no cake or ice cream for little kids birthday parties. Leave it to a red state like Texas to go after the kids

Old 05-11-2019, 10:16 AM

20,758 posts, read 8,559,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyBratty View Post
[/b]

Thank you mom for teaching me how to budget money at a young age and also how to shop and cook. The crockpot is an amazing tool to stretching ones dollars. I just made chicken stew two days ago. The chicken I got from the food pantry and besides a few items that I had to purchase from the store (under $5), this dinner meal will last me 4 days.
Recipes make so much these days since the portion sizes are larger than they used to be,so I freeze half the amount to eat later.

I'm single and a lot of food goes to waste unless I am proactive. I freeze half a loaf of bread because it would get moldy before I could ever finish it.

There used to be Home Ec classes in high school that taught the basics. They should get rid of the diversity training and S&M classes and bring back Home Ec and wood shop to teach something useful!

Old 05-11-2019, 10:19 AM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Recipes make so much these days since the portion sizes are larger than they used to be,so I freeze half the amount to eat later.

I'm single and a lot of food goes to waste unless I am proactive. I freeze half a loaf of bread because it would get moldy before I could ever finish it.
!
We agree on something. HAD to happen!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-11-2019, 10:51 AM

36,856 posts, read 17,347,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
So no cake or ice cream for little kids birthday parties. Leave it to a red state like Texas to go after the kids
Birthday cakes or healthy food...as long as it's paid for by someone else, right?

Old 05-11-2019, 11:04 AM

20,758 posts, read 8,559,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
We agree on something. HAD to happen!
A broken clock is right twice a day!

Old 05-11-2019, 12:16 PM

21,906 posts, read 9,480,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
$10 per hour over 40 hours of work is $400 a week. Then take it that one gets paid every 2 weeks. $800 a check. Then take the taxes into account. Then take into account alot of working people on food stamps are single mothers with kids. And then add in the rent. In order to make enough money to take care of a family of 4 or 5 on a Wal-Mart wage, one would have to work 80-90 per week.
I assume you do not mean federal income taxes?

Old 05-11-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
That would be Big Corn ( sugar) and Big Grocer.

You may recall, the Obama Admin was hung out to dry for eliminating most junk food from all subsidized school lunch programs. Nothing at the Federal level prevented kids from bringing junk from home.

Michele Obama's project was to get kids moving to curb childhood obesity. That too was mocked by the Obama haters.
Well I am an Obama hater and I liked the effort.

Old 05-11-2019, 12:19 PM

30,137 posts, read 11,759,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
The problem is what you think is not junk food, might be junk food to someone else.

There are plenty of people who think infant formula shouldn't be purchased with food stamps.

"You" are just one person.

There are lots of people who would legislate to prevent bread, rice, fruit juice, infant formula, diapers from being purchased with food stamps.

lets see what they come up with before speculating without any factual information and condemning something that has not yet been approved.

Old 05-11-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I understand the corn syrup producers have put that stuff in everything. We had a neighbor who sold that stuff by the tank car. He had a booming business. A fast food burger doodle opened not far from our house. We drove past it a couple years and finally decided to check it out. They even put sweetener in the bun. We threw it away.

It was sad to see what the parents and cafeteria ladies did to Michelle Obama. I thought it was the job of parents to teach the kids about nutrition. Looks like most just feed them what they like. FF and nuggets.

Years ago when the kids were in band I had to take food and work the food line when other bands were at our school for competition. Most moms brought donuts and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. they thought i was odd for bring carrots, celery, cucumbers.apples and pears. To their surprise that went first.

The kids who have gardens at school eat their veggies.
OUr school won't allow treats at the parties but they feed them french toast for lunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies