U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 11:49 AM

4,368 posts, read 2,980,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I am an extreme liberal. Please don't make fun of my retarded-level IQ of 79.
Whelp...I'm someone who has the ability to effortlessly switch off my ability to experience the emotions of sadness, loneliness, shame, and remorse. I could have really used as crystal clear as possible view of reality when I was a young teen...all the way to about age 27 when I figured out most people can't do that. I couldn't always do that. I learned to do that over time...but it still would have helped greatly to understand as much as possible about how most people's minds work.

I would strongly suspect that crystal clear knowledge of reality is going to vastly outweigh any ebbing away of social norms caused by that crystal clear knowledge of reality...especially for the pedophiles, and schizophrenics, and boys with bizarrely high libidos, and not-quite-but-almost psychopaths who have just a sliver of capacity for empathy, and all those sorts of potentially dangerous kids who are still in the growing stages. Knowledge may help them plan for their futures better and understand how they fit in.

I'm not particularly concerned about kids being taught about sex...at least if it's done carefully. I'm considerably less concerned about adults at a university being taught about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2019, 09:51 AM

18,292 posts, read 8,235,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
This sounds more like your own family issues rather than a generalization about kids that we can verify. Do you think parents should be telling their 3 year-olds about "BJs?" Because they asked? Forgive me, but I'm usually on a different planet from most contemporary parents and how their minds work. Are we at a place now where it's parenting dogma that if your child is curious about something...anything...it is the duty of the parent to explain it? That's the right thing to do in cases like this?

Is it appropriate to talk with an 11/12 year-old girl about birth control? Yes, most of the time. I'm trying t understand how you equate that with telling a 4/5 year-old about sexual positions homosexuality?

Since this entire thread and debate seems to be bereft of data, allow me to indulge in my own "lived experiences": I seriously doubt that you would have been headed to pregnancy or sexual oblivion had your teacher not told you whatever she/he told you. Like most kids, you would have sifted through the bad information, figured some things out and if some semblance of moral compass had been fostered in you by that point, made the right decisions. That's how it works for most kids. I trust you had those things, as well.

You'll forgive me, but if you believe the sorts of things we see in the syllabus in this course are simply about inquiry into child sexuality, I think you're terribly naive. You're also quite ignorant of what has happened in the social "sciences." Has it been awhile since you were in contact with academia? Things are a whole lot different these days in the social sciences and humanities than even in the 1990s. My contact has been in working on a graduate degree in history. I wish I could sufficiently convey how fixated that field and related fields are on all things "trans" and homosexual and all else related to that alphabet acronym that we see so often. What is one of the primary reasons for this fixation? Because an inordinate number of academics live those lifestyles and they finally have a vehicle by which they can achieve some validation for their lifestyles and one in which they can attempt to normalize these lifestyles.

That and it fits with their belief system, which is a binary (ironically) conception of the world as one of oppressors and victims, and the oppressors in this case are the "cisgender," usually Christian, conservative folks they imagine are telling them with whom they may have sex. Nevermind that a tiny percentage of those "oppressors" care one way or the other. That boogeyman is good for business, so to speak.
Please make the case for lying to your kids or dodging their questions.

And you are the one out of touch if you really think that there are no parents like mine raising kids today.

Old 05-11-2019, 10:26 AM

29,546 posts, read 16,499,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Hmmm. Do you seriously think that infants aren't capable of feeling sexual pleasure? If you do, please explain at what age the nerve endings in genitalia begin to function. Show your work.
you first.

Old 05-11-2019, 10:57 AM

10,662 posts, read 2,720,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
They've created a euphemism for such people: MAPs. That stands for Minor Attracted Persons.

Now think about it for a second. You have folks who already argue that other groups are "born that way," and thus their behaviors are unavoidable. If they believe "MAPs" are "born that way," how can we hold them accountable for something inherent in them?
This is precisely how they will 'normalize' this...its the old " We are born this way' explanation.

Old 05-11-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
you first.
Babies touch themselves for comfort, as many parents have observed. Why would they do that unless it felt good?

Some people believe that fetuses as young as 15 weeks masturbate for pleasure, but I'm a bit doubtful of this. Fetuses 'practice' many movements months before they have a real purpose. It's pretty easy to observe a baby feeling pleasure though.

Also note that giving honest answers to children who ask about sexual matters is a very good way to find out whether your child is being abused.

https://www.todaysparent.com/baby/ba...es-masturbate/

Do 15-Week Old Fetuses Masturbate? | TIME.com

CHILDHOOD SEXUAL DEVELOPMENT | National Center on the Sexual Behavior of Youth

https://kidshealth.org/en/parents/development.html

Sexual Development in Children - Sexual Development - HealthCommunities.com

https://pcavt.org/stages-of-healthy-...velopment.html

https://www.nsvrc.org/sites/default/...evelopment.pdf

Old 05-11-2019, 12:34 PM

28,506 posts, read 15,466,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Babies touch themselves for comfort, as many parents have observed. Why would they do that unless it felt good?

Some people believe that fetuses as young as 15 weeks masturbate for pleasure, but I'm a bit doubtful of this. Fetuses 'practice' many movements months before they have a real purpose. It's pretty easy to observe a baby feeling pleasure though.

Also note that giving honest answers to children who ask about sexual matters is a very good way to find out whether your child is being abused. [/url]
I made bold the important part.

It should not be part of a school curriculum.

Regarding the underlined... some people believe that, then they still want to abort them? Interesting...

Old 05-11-2019, 12:41 PM

28,506 posts, read 15,466,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "studied in this context" but I don't see much of a problem with calling it "sexualty," based on what I've seen...just maybe minor semantic disagreements.

The important thing is that when parents see their infants getting erections, and that sort of thing, we have pediatricians who realize that's just a natural occurrence, rather than something to be concerned about. It probably couldn't hurt for parents to have that knowledge before going to the pediatrician too.
Why would getting an erection even come up at a pediatricians office? And since it's only a natural occurrence, why is this college class necessary?

Context - I meant in a classroom setting... as opposed to studying for research purposes.

Old 05-11-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I made bold the important part.

It should not be part of a school curriculum.

Regarding the underlined... some people believe that, then they still want to abort them? Interesting...
Actually, this argument was used as evidence in recent legislative acts that ban abortion.

But it's not great evidence, if you look into its history. https://www.medicaldaily.com/can-15-...0-weeks-247045

Now I'm quite sure that at some point a fetus feels both pain and pleasure, as opposed to the mindless reactions that many multi-celled organisms without organized or non-damaged brains can exhibit. The question is when, and I don't know of any serious studies on this question.

However, it's quite safe to say that very young children do indeed experience genital-based pleasure, regardless of how that statement scandalizes some posters here.

Old 05-11-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Why would getting an erection even come up at a pediatricians office? And since it's only a natural occurrence, why is this college class necessary?

Context - I meant in a classroom setting... as opposed to studying for research purposes.
Because some adults, obviously including some posters on this thread, don't know that it is normal for baby boys to have sexual reactions? If you were worried that your baby was somehow abnormal, why wouldn't you ask your pediatrician?

And again, if these discussions regarding children's sexual development shouldn't be held in a college classroom, exactly when or where, IYO, can they be held? If only research scientists are allowed to have these discussions, are the rest of us supposed to remain ignorant?

As I mentioned above, my parents didn't want to answer many of my questions regarding sexuality, and when I became an adult (after getting my biology degree), discussions I had with my mother when she was in her 50s (my dad was deceased by this time) revealed that she was very fuzzy on many points still, after having been pregnant five times and delivered four live infants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or