U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 03:17 PM

33,133 posts, read 13,986,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i do agree that we need to transition over to sustainable sources of energy, but it needs to happen based on what the market place wants, and not what government regulators think we need. spain ordered a change over to green energy, some years back, and for every green job they created, the LOST TWO regular jobs. so yeah, lets do that.

trying to force the worlds economies to change over is useless unless ALL countries are required to do so, and every so called green protocol exempts china, india, and third world countries. so are yu telling me that they dont put out huge amounts of greenhouse gasses? are you suggesting the china puts out less than the US in greenhouse gasses? because if you do you are sorely mistaken.
I don't see the market place changing this on their own certainly with cheap energy with gas at over $2 per gallon. If you live near the shore in Miami you might care but I doubt those living in Denver care although they will be footing the bill,

We should have been changing decades ago so it could be done gradually but here we are with some still arguing that its not a problem. The growing economies of China are a problem but if for nothing else they can see the downside of their actions purely based on air pollution and shortened life expectancy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 03:50 PM

2,971 posts, read 855,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
. If you live near the shore in Miami you might care .
I don't, and don't know one single person here that does either....

Sea level rise started long before global warming....and the rate has not changed one bit...

...it's less than 1 inch a decade.....about 9 inches a century

"The relative sea level trend is 2.42 millimeters/year with a 95% confidence
interval of +/- 0.14 mm/yr based on monthly mean sea level data from
1913 to 2018 which is equivalent to a change of 0.79 feet in 100 years."

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/sl...tml?id=8724580

Old 05-09-2019, 05:34 PM

46,974 posts, read 37,105,552 times
The problem is not science itself. Science is actually pretty cool. No, the real problem is that portions of it have been used, misused, and misconstrued for political gain. It's a group of liberals twisting it to make a left-wing talking point by persuading everyone to think that there's an actual crisis when there just simply isn't one.

Old 05-09-2019, 06:46 PM

21,620 posts, read 14,397,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
The problem is not science itself. Science is actually pretty cool. No, the real problem is that portions of it have been used, misused, and misconstrued for political gain. It's a group of liberals twisting it to make a left-wing talking point by persuading everyone to think that there's an actual crisis when there just simply isn't one.
Uh huh.

Quote:
“The Koch brothers and the fossil fuel industry have put billions of dollars into lying to the American public, even sending literature to science teachers in schools,” Salamon said. “They are so well organised and have managed to turn climate change into a controversial subject that gets shut down. It’s clearly working.

Old 05-09-2019, 07:39 PM

2,324 posts, read 632,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I wonder if those involved on this survey took a look inside this forum? It certainly appears that the more conservative one leans, the higher the rate of scientific illiteracy.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...rnational-poll
Can I interest you in a lightly used polar bear?

Old 05-09-2019, 10:48 PM

2,513 posts, read 538,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I’m all for carbon-dioxide-free energy,
So, you want to suffocate all the trees and plants then? You want to KILL them, you don't care about the trees! It's all about the trees! If we could save just one tree...

Old 05-09-2019, 10:50 PM

4,340 posts, read 1,868,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
So, you want to suffocate all the trees and plants then? You want to KILL them, you don't care about the trees! It's all about the trees! If we could save just one tree...
Liberals just want baby trees to die.

Old 05-10-2019, 01:35 AM

13,756 posts, read 5,545,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
That’s true for cigarettes too. Everyone knows that cigarettes are harmless. Unfortunately, liberal scientists pushed the myth that cigarettes were harmful.

Old 05-10-2019, 01:48 AM

30,905 posts, read 31,804,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
I don't, and don't know one single person here that does either....

Sea level rise started long before global warming....and the rate has not changed one bit...

...it's less than 1 inch a decade.....about 9 inches a century

"The relative sea level trend is 2.42 millimeters/year with a 95% confidence
interval of +/- 0.14 mm/yr based on monthly mean sea level data from
1913 to 2018 which is equivalent to a change of 0.79 feet in 100 years."

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/sl...tml?id=8724580
That chart is for Key West Florida, not the globe...I'm not surprised that you aren't aware of the difference.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:48 AM

13,173 posts, read 4,504,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
That chart is for Key West Florida, not the globe...I'm not surprised that you aren't aware of the difference.
Key West is part of the globe. Water doesn't just rise in certain places. Water seeks it's own level everywhere. The ONLY thing that can account for differences in certain places is the LAND mass rising or sinking, not the sea rising more in places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies