Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 11:16 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,650,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
U.S. is Hotbed of Climate Change Denial, Global Survey finds.

Probably the USA is a hotbed of a lot of fringe things ... like scientology, creationism, reality TV and holocaust denial.

Willful ignorance is strong in the USA. The number of people who believe professional wrestling is an honest genuine sport is downright embarrassing but that same formula is used in reality TV, cultic forms of religion, and in Trump's politics.

I believe in:

evolution
germ theory of disease
the benefit of GMOs
the laws of physics and mathematics
the power of the scientific method
the value of the fossil record
the big bang theory

I do not believe in:

homeopathic medicines
conspiracy theories
ghosts
alien visitation of the earth
astrology
magic
man made global warming

That reminds me, I need to check out the professional wrestling tonight on television after work.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:02 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,507,958 times
Some of the critics immediately start arguing about higher taxes in reference to climate change, conflating an economic problem with a scientific problem. Arguing about the cost of combating climate change is an entirely separate argument. Of course it will be expensive, the only guarantee we have is we all will pay for climate change, if not us, our descendants for sure.

We can start paying now, or leave the cost for future generations to pay. By ignoring this problem, the end result will only differ in the severity of the impact rising temperatures will have on the planet and the assured destruction of our environment from heatwaves, droughts, floods, increasingly deadly storms, and coastal cities inundated by seawater.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:06 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,817,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I wonder if those involved on this survey took a look inside this forum? It certainly appears that the more conservative one leans, the higher the rate of scientific illiteracy.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...rnational-poll

we recognize the climate is constantly changing, but we dont want to give government even more power over the people for a dubious, at best, claims by a bunch of scientists with an agenda of increasing government regulations on the world.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:09 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,507,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
we recognize the climate is constantly changing, but we dont want to give government even more power over the people for a dubious, at best, claims by a bunch of scientists with an agenda of increasing government regulations on the world.
Well, that may be true, but we can start to repair the damage by an emphasis on green energy, and a majority of Americans recognize our role on climate change and want to do something about it. Pretending the problem does not exist, solely for financial reasons, is foolish and will prove much more costly.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:15 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,817,332 times
Quote:
Well, that may be true, but we can start to repair the damage by an emphasis on green energy, and a majority of Americans recognize our role on climate change and want to do something about it. Pretending the problem does not exist, solely for financial reasons, is foolish and will prove much more costly.

i do agree that we need to transition over to sustainable sources of energy, but it needs to happen based on what the market place wants, and not what government regulators think we need. spain ordered a change over to green energy, some years back, and for every green job they created, the LOST TWO regular jobs. so yeah, lets do that.

trying to force the worlds economies to change over is useless unless ALL countries are required to do so, and every so called green protocol exempts china, india, and third world countries. so are yu telling me that they dont put out huge amounts of greenhouse gasses? are you suggesting the china puts out less than the US in greenhouse gasses? because if you do you are sorely mistaken.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:21 PM

23,529 posts, read 17,205,480 times
Quote:
I wonder if those involved on this survey took a look inside this forum? It certainly appears that the more conservative one leans, the higher the rate of scientific illiteracy.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...rnational-poll
The global warming scam is the government's claim they can reverse it by raising taxes.

Old 05-09-2019, 01:08 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,110,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
Of course, I operated under it on a Nuclear-weapon-capable platform. I can neither confirm nor deny the actual presence of any weapons at any given point in time.

MAD has to do with destroying geopolitical entities, i.e. countries, NOT the planet or even all of mankind.
Did we use them all up when we were testing them?

Old 05-09-2019, 01:57 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,347,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
What if they were right? And 10 yrs from now we’re in a sh**ier world because of it and leaders who denied it admitted they were wrong?
What would you say/think then?
I would say that under no circumstances is slavery and armed robbery acceptable. Same as I do now.

That's the great thing about having principles backed by morality and logic: brevity.

You folks should try it sometime.

Old 05-09-2019, 02:19 PM

18,489 posts, read 9,149,606 times
Quote:
I’m all for carbon-dioxide-free energy, but wind and solar alone will not be enough. We will need a lot of nuclear power too.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6...of-renewables/

Old 05-09-2019, 03:17 PM

57,221 posts, read 26,166,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i do agree that we need to transition over to sustainable sources of energy, but it needs to happen based on what the market place wants, and not what government regulators think we need. spain ordered a change over to green energy, some years back, and for every green job they created, the LOST TWO regular jobs. so yeah, lets do that.

trying to force the worlds economies to change over is useless unless ALL countries are required to do so, and every so called green protocol exempts china, india, and third world countries. so are yu telling me that they dont put out huge amounts of greenhouse gasses? are you suggesting the china puts out less than the US in greenhouse gasses? because if you do you are sorely mistaken.
I don't see the market place changing this on their own certainly with cheap energy with gas at over $2 per gallon. If you live near the shore in Miami you might care but I doubt those living in Denver care although they will be footing the bill,

We should have been changing decades ago so it could be done gradually but here we are with some still arguing that its not a problem. The growing economies of China are a problem but if for nothing else they can see the downside of their actions purely based on air pollution and shortened life expectancy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies