Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 11:03 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Well, there goes freedom of speech!
We already have limits on campaign contributions. We have long had limits on campaign contributions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 11:06 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,821,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Freedom of speech was never meant to include freedom to donate unlimited amounts of money anonymously to impact political outcomes.

Every mainstream media outlet donates nearly unlimited resources (which equates to nearly unlimited MONEY) in an attempt to impact political outcomes. How is this ANY different than the money or resources being from corporations, special interest groups or unions? Again this proposed amendment is a direct assault upon the prohibition on government to interfere with free speech.

But then again, that's just MY opinion, for what it's worth.

Old 05-10-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Freedom of speech was never meant to include freedom to donate unlimited amounts of money anonymously to impact political outcomes.
If I want to pay for a bill board to counter the billboard the local politician puts up, why is that any of your business?

Old 05-10-2019, 11:08 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,924,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No it didn't.

Your article does NOT support your statement.
You seem to be saying something akin to those who observe the acrobatic way that hummingbirds fly & say that they seem to defy the laws of physics.

Although fans of the hummingbird do not go as far as to deny what their eyes are telling them.

Old 05-10-2019, 11:08 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,585,801 times
Quote:
If I want to pay for a bill board to counter the billboard the local politician puts up, why is that any of your business?
You can put up political billboards. You shouldn't be able to do so anonymously. Voters should have the right to know who is behind political advertising and take it into account when considering the message.

Old 05-10-2019, 11:09 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
tell that to the unions

the AFL-CIO contributed over 3 million to hitlery's campaign
the American federation of teachers (teacher union) contributed over 10 million to hitlery's campaign
National Education Assn contributed over 19 million to hitlery's campaign

unions (corporations) contributed 100's of millions of dollars

CU made it legal for unions to contribute directly to a candidate

Old 05-10-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
You seem to be saying something akin to those who observe the acrobatic way that hummingbirds fly & say that they seem to defy the laws of physics.

Although fans of the hummingbird do not go as far as to deny what their eyes are telling them.
Please, point out where in the article it backs up what you say. I can't call it as it is? I should try and spin like most people as opposed to being factual?

McCain/Feingold nor the ruling overturning that law did anything about campaign contributions.

Old 05-10-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
You can put up political billboards. You shouldn't be able to do so anonymously. Voters should have the right to know who is behind political advertising and take it into account when considering the message.
Why is it your business what I think? McCain/Feingold restricted my right to put up billboards.

Old 05-10-2019, 11:16 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,924,139 times
Quote:
Comparing the influence of a local billboard to the influential impact of a $93 million donation is the logical fallacy of false equivalence.

Old 05-10-2019, 11:19 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,585,801 times
Quote:
Why is it your business what I think? McCain/Feingold restricted my right to put up billboards.
If you put up a billboard, you've made it my business by projecting your thoughts at me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies