Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2019, 08:49 PM

623 posts, read 233,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.57dc4d74d1be

This doesn't come as much of a surprise but it's troubling nonetheless. But time moves forward and whether everyone likes it or not, we will be living in an increasingly diverse society, regardless of whether or not everyone is comfortable with that.
AKA to hell with what white Americans want,if you speak about it you are a racist,if you try to move away they chase you down and FORCE diversity down your throat....this is ALL leading to one and only one possible outcome.

Old 05-09-2019, 08:52 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times
Quote:
This doesn't come as much of a surprise but it's troubling nonetheless. But time moves forward and whether everyone likes it or not, we will be living in an increasingly diverse society, regardless of whether or not everyone is comfortable with that.
Apart from the xenophobia, that's particularly strange considering that Washington is a major tourist town.

Old 05-09-2019, 08:56 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,034,793 times
If hearing foreign languages bothers you, you probably don't want to end up in Houston.

A few days ago, I heard people speaking English, Vietnamese, Mandarin, Spanish (Tex-Mex, actually), Urdu and Tagalog.

And that was just in 30 minutes at the barbershop.

Old 05-09-2019, 09:02 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,282,435 times
I don't get bothered at all hearing other languages on principle. Personally, I hate the way Mandarin Chinese -sounds- but, that's me.

It's a little annoying when people get uppity like it's our fault we don't know THEIR language in OUR country.

However, this next occurence DOES anger me; after we spend money and time printing signs and programming display monitors in other languages, some of these people still can't follow the most basic ot instructions.

In the Russian section of Brooklyn, it is aggravating watching them struggle over ...metrocard machines... and the retail chains had to REMOVE the self-checkout registers from this neighborhood because it was actually costing them more money to hire people to instruct them how to use the machines (even AFTER the displays had an option for Russian). Huff...Puff... sorry about the personal rant.

Old 05-09-2019, 09:20 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,309,027 times
Oh, good Lord. I am a white Republican surrounded by white Republicans and this couldn't be less true. In fact, I had to read the thread title twice because it's so stupid. Why would anyone care about hearing foreign languages?

If nonsense like this is the best the Dems can do, they are sunk.

Old 05-09-2019, 09:23 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
I speak several
The attempt to label all conservatives as ignorant people is at best feeble
Too many of my limosine lefty friends consider themselves experts on people and cultures they know nothing about

Old 05-09-2019, 09:38 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
At least half of the US people, regardless of ideology, have always been bothered by foreign tongues and different religions.

Old 05-09-2019, 09:41 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What's wrong with expecting people to assimilate into our society linguistically out in public? Who wants to feel like they are living in a foreign country out in public? What irritates me is that it is mostly Spanish that is being spoken and it's mostly due to the millions of illegal aliens in my state. What's to like?

I have found that even those who know English prefer Spanish out in public. It doesn't make for a cohesive society and IMO is rude if you know English.

Ok, let the flames begin as we have been down this road before and I don't give a damn! Just another topic to bash white Americans anyway especially if they are conservatives.
It is no one's business what language I speak in public. If I am not talking to you, then please, mind your own business.

Old 05-09-2019, 09:53 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,522,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I always enjoy being in places where I hear other languages...it usually gives me the hint that I am somewhere good enough to attract people from overseas and all walks of life.

Wow...so maybe the slogan of the GOP needs to be "Get off my Lawn and SPEAK AMERICAN".....that could replace the current slogan "I promise to you that I only do it with my wife".

LOL.

Old 05-09-2019, 10:39 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times
Quote:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.57dc4d74d1be

I'm a minority Republican and the son of LEGAL immigrants. It doesn't bother me to hear foreign languages in public. However it DOES bother me when people come to the US and refuse to learn English and expect us to cater to them in their language. And it also bothers me when even the 2nd or 3rd generation Mexicans still speak with a foreign accent vs sound American like I do. It shows an often purposeful resistance to assimilating into our culture. Learning our language and speaking it the way we do is a major step in assimilating and adopting American culture.

I do support making English the official language of the US. So no I'm not "bothered" by someone speaking a foreign language here, and they should definitely have the right to speak it, but I do see someone as less American when they're not speaking ENglish or if their English is poor. Its also a sign of non-assimilating when a child born in the USA is given a foreign name. In fact remember how Obama began insisting on being called "Barack" instead of "Barry" to sound less American and more "true to his African roots" an as an act of resistance. I believe in his book he didn't like the name Barry because it was too American and he was a "proud son of Africa" I believe thats an exact phrase from his book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies