Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 09:38 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,094,094 times

Advertisements

This video is the first I've seen of this guy and wasn't impressed. I'm not criticizing his politics (some made sense others not) but the way he handled himself. He lost his cool and looked like a fool. I don't see him making much of a name for himself except for among the rightwing fringe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 09:45 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Ben Shapiro faced what all Americans face when we take our "Style" of politics to other nations. We Americans play lose and fast with facts, make generalized statements about entire groups of people, and take stances to win arguments not to move policy. The OP use of Meltdown in the title illustrates this perfectly, there was no clear meltdown, just a disagreement on opinions.

This is not a Right or Left issue, it is how politics is discussed by us. We are the experts of click bait headlines, bumper sticker quotes, folky sayings, and not so much concern for deep investigation and thought on problems / solutions.

Ben Shapiro looked bad in this clip but that I suspect some on the Democratic side would have ran into the same issue due to our debate style.
You must not have watched that video, because none of it happened.

And BTW, he was Invited by the BBC. It's certainly good to see someone who doesn't apologize for being American.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:55 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
lol Of course conservatives do. Granted the republicans don't. They love their big government. Of course there are posers like Reagan and Rick Santorum who voted for big government. Hey look at me I'm a vegan even though I eat meat 3 times a day.
Conservatives and republicans are 2 different animals.
Okay -- you are right -- true conservatives -- but are any of those left in the USA -- lol.

Old 05-10-2019, 10:02 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
As many of us have noted, when it's not some college kid in a environment he can control he melts. What he got is exactly what he gives and he couldn't handle it. He cut and ran.

Coward.

Old 05-10-2019, 10:15 AM

2,923 posts, read 977,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Believe it or not, that actually wasnt a loaded question.

Ben Shapiro always argues slightly off topic, this is no exception. He has been making statements for weeks on the issue, he responded to AOC by claiming she called a 6 week pregnancy a "missed period", when in reality, all she said was that at 6 weeks you may genuinely not know and simply believe you missed a period.

The interviewer simply followed up on it and Shapiro lost it.
When you interject your opinion into a question like the host did by suggesting it is barbaric or a return to middle ages it is because you are framing the question in such a way.

The professional way to ask the question would be to say 'hey, some say 6 weeks is too early. can you at least acknowledge the opposite side of stance which is that it might be too early to go throwing people in jail. or that throwing people in jail is too extreme in general?'

Shapiro could have handled handled it better. He could have simply said 'no, that is your opinion. I believe at 6 weeks you have a human life and that the penalty for jeopardizing that life should be significant.'

Old 05-10-2019, 10:16 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Believe it or not, that actually wasnt a loaded question.

Ben Shapiro always argues slightly off topic, this is no exception. He has been making statements for weeks on the issue, he responded to AOC by claiming she called a 6 week pregnancy a "missed period", when in reality, all she said was that at 6 weeks you may genuinely not know and simply believe you missed a period.

The interviewer simply followed up on it and Shapiro lost it.
Obviously you hear off topic or can't follow examples.

Old 05-10-2019, 10:25 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,844,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Lol. Shapiro tried to wiggle out of a question about abortion by citing ‘science’ and accusing his interviewer, Andrew Neil, of being on ‘the left.’ Neil is chairman of The Spectator, one of Britain’s leading conservative magazines. He just laughs and says “Mr Shapiro if you only know how ridiculous you sound."

Shapiro: “(It’s) a way for you to make a quick buck on BBC off the fact I’m popular and no one has ever heard of you”
Neil: “There aren’t many bucks to be made on the BBC unlike American broadcasting Mr Shapiro”

Damn! Snowflake Shapiro thought this was going to be a typical FOX NEWS interview filled with softball questions with no real research done.
You say tomato, I say tomato.

Is that plain English enough for you?

Old 05-10-2019, 10:28 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,958,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
What on earth are you talking about???
Let me guess, didn’t actually watch the video?

https://www.iflscience.com/health-an...degree-murder/

Here did the work for you. Now watch it.

Old 05-10-2019, 10:36 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Obviously you hear off topic or can't follow examples.
The topic was why a 6 week abortion ban is to early. AOC gave a reason why. Shapiro responded by claiming AOC equated a pregnancy to a missed period, which clearly didnt.

Are you claiming she did equate the 2 ???? Because that is the only way your post makes sense.

Old 05-10-2019, 10:37 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
When you interject your opinion into a question like the host did by suggesting it is barbaric or a return to middle ages it is because you are framing the question in such a way.

The professional way to ask the question would be to say 'hey, some say 6 weeks is too early. can you at least acknowledge the opposite side of stance which is that it might be too early to go throwing people in jail. or that throwing people in jail is too extreme in general?'

Shapiro could have handled handled it better. He could have simply said 'no, that is your opinion. I believe at 6 weeks you have a human life and that the penalty for jeopardizing that life should be significant.'
Thats a far argument, but I would then counter by saying Shapiro uses the exact same language. As another poster said, he can dish it out, but cant take it. Guy Benson is another who does this and then gets angry when people use the same rhetoric towards him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies