U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 06:44 PM

3,275 posts, read 1,300,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Unless you live off-grid and you don't use public roads at all, drive a car that passed safety standards, drink city water (including going to a restaurant where they use city water), send or receive mail, purchase USDA-inspected food at a grocery store, utilize the public schools (either yourself as a child or your children/grandchildren if you have them), go to professionals who utilized those public schools, etc. you could not have your current lifestyle without the government. No need to be offended or embarrassed. We live in a society where the government runs or has its hand in much of what we do, for better or for worse.

I'm shocked that we didn't get the typical "Muh roads!" type comment before the 4th post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 06:51 PM

8,291 posts, read 2,402,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
And it's not their job to bail out farmers. Wouldn't you agree?
Does the fed have policies that intentionally suppress what Farmers can get for their products? Like milk for instance? Are there no Milk regulators? The Fed absolutely owes it to those farmers they screw over by suppressing the price they can charge for their product.

You can't have it both ways.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Does the fed have policies that intentionally suppress what Farmers can get for their products? Like milk for instance? Are there no Milk regulators? The Fed absolutely owes it to those farmers they screw over by suppressing the price they can charge for their product.

You can't have it both ways.

It's amazing how regulations (also known as government protectionism or crony capitalism) cost everyone in the form of higher prices widely spread out so as it is hardly noticed, all for the benefit of a tiny percentage. Of course government will get its cut for providing that protectionism err... cough... regulation, so with every industry regulated, the government gets its cut from every industry at the expense of the consumer and the industry as well.

Frederick Bastiat talks about this in his essay called "That Which is Seen, and That Which is Not Seen". If you haven't already, I encourage you to read Bastiat's collective works. It is available at: https://mises.org/library/bastiat-collection

But then again that's just MY opinion, for what it's worth.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:26 PM

18,099 posts, read 10,289,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
It's amazing how regulations (also known as government protectionism or crony capitalism) cost everyone in the form of higher prices widely spread out so as it is hardly noticed, all for the benefit of a tiny percentage. Of course government will get its cut for providing that protectionism err... cough... regulation, so with every industry regulated, the government gets its cut from every industry at the expense of the consumer and the industry as well.

Frederick Bastiat talks about this in his essay called "That Which is Seen, and That Which is Not Seen". If you haven't already, I encourage you to read Bastiat's collective works. It is available at: https://mises.org/library/bastiat-collection

But then again that's just MY opinion, for what it's worth.
Martin Shkreli agrees with every word.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:50 PM

6,299 posts, read 2,089,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
How does it feel to be thought of and treated as property.

You don't think all that doesn't come with many strings attached, placing you in their bondage?
I'd be highly offended, if anyone told me I could not make it in life, without their help.
Get a taste of Marxism.
and religion

edit: the repub kind

Old 05-10-2019, 09:59 PM

9,168 posts, read 9,152,027 times
Quote:
How does it feel to be thought of and treated as property.
You don't think all that doesn't come with many strings attached, placing you in their bondage?
I'd be highly offended, if anyone told me I could not make it in life, without their help.
Get a taste of Marxism.
I'm not sure what you're referring to. But it has nothing to do with property. If you help a friend, do you consider him your property? But the idea means that the government helped by providing roads, a telecommunications system, basic schooling, a framework for businesses to exist - all those things you couldn't do yourself. For many people, it may have provided loans for college, unemployment money to help a family through hard times - or, for some, even jobs.

Old 05-10-2019, 10:12 PM
Status: "Did I just roll my eyes out loud?" (set 3 days ago)

7,305 posts, read 4,402,812 times
I'm offended when a wealthy country tells it's most distraught and out of luck and needy citizens basically to go off themselves. "I have mine. Too bad for you!" We should be helping one another make it, not making it harder for the have nots to become one of the haves

Old 05-11-2019, 07:30 AM

66,121 posts, read 33,555,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I'm offended when a wealthy country tells it's most distraught and out of luck and needy citizens basically to go off themselves. "I have mine. Too bad for you!" We should be helping one another make it, not making it harder for the have nots to become one of the haves
Knock yourself out.

Relationships and friendship is all about the value they bring to you.

I'm all about tough love. Throw you into the lake, and watch to see if you sink or learn to swim.
Those that don't try to swim, are a burden on those that jump in to save them. Everyone drowns.

Old 05-11-2019, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Knock yourself out.

I'm all about tough love. Throw you into the lake, and watch to see if you sink or learn to swim.
Those that don't try to swim, are a burden on those that jump in to save them. Everyone drowns.

Couldn't add to your reputation points yet so here's my kudos to you for this post.

Old 05-11-2019, 09:37 PM

6,299 posts, read 2,089,961 times
Quote:
Knock yourself out.

The definition of conditional love. A person's value is in what they can do for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or