Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 02:49 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Hmmm...what's great about LBJ?

Last I heard he refused to run in 1968 because his own party thought he was a disgrace.
Not likely. He apparently believed he could win reelection but chose not to run. The major reason was apparently his unhappiness over Viet Nam.

A close in discussion of his views from the NYTimes...

https://www.nytimes.com/1988/04/16/o...run-in-68.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2019, 02:50 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Not I. Those dead soldiers, killed for nothing other than LBJ's arrogance call out. 2 million dead in Vietnam. They call out.

38 dead sailors who were refused aid from an American battle group well within range. They call out.

Yeah I know it was their job to die any way Johnson saw fit. Or in his own words "They don't bomb an outhouse less I say so." What Johnson had to say about his generals in Vietnam.

He achieved some civil rights scores. Low hanging fruit at the time. He was an ignorant Texas cracker whose primary concern was his own legacy.
Don't forget Agent Orange.

LBJ was many things, ignorant was not one of them. IDK if he was a racist or not. The ranch had the typical real estate clause that it could not be sold to Blacks and Jews. He could have had that clause removed. Maybe he thought the Civil Rights act would take care of it.

From what I remember, Johnson also had an aide who got something on every member on congress. Some said he even bought their debt. If they were not voting his way, he used whatever threat he could to bring them in line. Perhaps that was rumor.

He got his start up money from Brown and Root. A relative was connected to B&R. He was told about a federal project 2 years before it was announced, so he was the lucky low bid.

Old 05-11-2019, 02:52 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,707,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Don't forget Agent Orange.

LBJ was many things, ignorant was not one of them. IDK if he was a racist or not. The ranch had the typical real estate clause that it could not be sold to Blacks and Jews. He could have had that clause removed. Maybe he thought the Civil Rights act would take care of it.

From what I remember, Johnson also had an aide who got something on every member on congress. Some said he even bought their debt. If they were not voting his way, he used whatever threat he could to bring them in line. Perhaps that was rumor.

He got his start up money from Brown and Root. A relative was connected to B&R. He was told about a federal project 2 years before it was announced, so he was the lucky low bid.
We need a return to that type of politics, when presidents would use the bully pulpit to accomplish their agenda.

Old 05-11-2019, 02:56 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
He did go on a bombing mission which did come under enemy fire. He was awarded the silver star (but under dubious circumstances) and therefore did not engage in stolen valor.

https://www.history.com/news/lbj-wor...bathroom-break
No. He did not.
Go back and read the article which was written by the reporter who uncovered the hoax in the first place, and read where one of the other occupants of that bomber testified that they never came under fire.

Johnson turned down the silver star when it was awarded and later wore it anyway.

Old 05-11-2019, 03:03 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
I’ve found it’s the overly polite people you have to watch out for.

Old 05-11-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
No. He did not.
Go back and read the article which was written by the reporter who uncovered the hoax in the first place, and read where one of the other occupants of that bomber testified that they never came under fire.

Johnson turned down the silver star when it was awarded and later wore it anyway.

And then read the testimony of other members of the bomber on which Johnson flew that it was shot up pretty good by a set of zeroes...

https://www.nytimes.com/1964/09/21/a...-group-in.html

Don't you have something better to do than slander a dead president?

I doubt it was a clear occasion for a silver star...though that is MacArthur's problem. Not Johnson's.

Old 05-11-2019, 03:20 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
And then read the testimony of other members of the bomber on which Johnson flew that it was shot up pretty good by a set of zeroes...

https://www.nytimes.com/1964/09/21/a...-group-in.html

Don't you have something better to do than slander a dead president?

I doubt it was a clear occasion for a silver star...though that is MacArthur's problem. Not Johnson's.
Pretty funny.
The article I referenced was written last week and was written to expose an old fraud.
You dug up an old fraud written in 1964 to disprove the exposure written in 2019.
Quote:
Except it didn’t happen, insists retired Army Staff Sgt. Bob Marshall, who was a gunner on Johnson’s flight and the last surviving member of the crew.
“That was something I would never forget if I had to do that,” Marshall told me in 2001. “We never got attacked. I had no reason to swing my guns, my turret. Them was built up stories.”
In the LBJ Presidential Library, you can find a letter on congressional letterhead that Johnson addressed to the adjutant general of the War Department declining the Silver Star.
“I should not and could not accept a citation for the little part I played,” it reads............

Old 05-11-2019, 03:23 PM

18,562 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
President LBJ now has a ship named after him. A new stealth destroyer.

Johnson wore a silver star on his lapel, signifying bravery in action during WW2. The action never happened, though. He just thought it would be better if people thought he was a war hero of one sort or another.
There are lot of reasons to not like Johnson. In fact, he was so bad that in my mind it taints the memory of JFK for selecting Johnson as a man who could replace him. Someone should have stopped this naming of a ship after Johnson.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/p...-honor-for-lbj
He also covered up the Israeli attack on the USS Liberty, which was a deliberate act of war. He was a genuine traitor, as in deserving of the death penalty.

The awful thing is that his cover-up of the attack wasn't even near the top of the list of the worst things he did to this country.

Old 05-11-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Pretty funny.
The article I referenced was written last week and was written to expose an old fraud.
You dug up an old fraud written in 1964 to disprove the exposure written in 2019.
Sorry but you continue to mislead.

From the Johnson letter you cite...

"I should not and could not accept a citation of recognition for the little part I played ... for a short
time in learning and facing with them the problems they encounter all the time. The coolness for
which the Generalcommends me was only the reflection of my utter confidence in the men with
whom I was flying."
"Watching the fighting crew of my ship save their crippled plane despite interception by hostile
fighters outnumbering us
, burned into my mind knowledge of concrete conditions which you can
make sure I shall use to the best of my ability in the service of my country."

It is also unclear that the letter was ever sent.

Again why do you have this desire to slander a dead president?

Old 05-11-2019, 03:46 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Not likely. He apparently believed he could win reelection but chose not to run. The major reason was apparently his unhappiness over Viet Nam.

A close in discussion of his views from the NYTimes...

https://www.nytimes.com/1988/04/16/o...run-in-68.html
McCarthy pulled 42% in NH.

Then, smelling the blood in the water, R. Kennedy got into the race.

Spin it any way you like, but the writing was on the wall before LBJ developed "unhappiness" over Vietnam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies