Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 01:34 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times

Advertisements

Guess if they were born in another country, they would not be African-American, they'd be Canadian-American or European-American. or could be Caribbean or Jamaiccan.

Black people come from all parts of the world.

Old 05-12-2019, 01:44 PM

6,223 posts, read 3,407,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Guess if they were born in another country, they would not be African-American, they'd be Canadian-American or European-American. or could be Caribbean or Jamaiccan.

Black people come from all parts of the world.

Maybe... but all blacks descended from Africa.

Old 05-12-2019, 01:53 PM

18,439 posts, read 8,268,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
What if a white African moves here? Are they African-American?
...my brother in law is white African.....he says he's French

Old 05-12-2019, 01:55 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 26 days ago)

27,645 posts, read 16,125,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
...my brother in law is white African.....he says he's French
Algeria?

Old 05-12-2019, 01:58 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,344,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I am an American of African descent. I cannot deny one more than the other. But my upbringing is American and I have never been to Africa. Just like an Irish-American can visit Ireland and feel at "home" despite having never visited Ireland before, many blacks feel the same way about Africa and Africans.
I am mostly Irish American. In general I would not feel at all at home in Ireland. I am comfortable there though not as much as I am in London. i am also comfortable in Germany and Holland though less so than in London. I am also more comfortable in Mexico than anywhere in Europe.

I actually grew up a midwestern or border line southern US. Where I grew up the choices were Baptist, Catholic or Black. Irish was not an available choice. And when I went to my last year of high school on Long Island my classmates called me "Rebel". So until reaching adulthood I was basically a white southern guy.

So I would think a Black person would feel much the same about Africa. A fact of genealogy but of little personal impact. Not trying to minimize the personal impact of being Black which I have no doubts is large. But the Africa thing would seem at best of minor historical interest.

Old 05-12-2019, 02:05 PM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Blacks are of African ancestry. Like whites are of European ancestry.

Simple enough.

Old 05-12-2019, 02:05 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
I am mostly Irish American. In general I would not feel at all at home in Ireland. I am comfortable there though not as much as I am in London. i am also comfortable in Germany and Holland though less so than in London. I am also more comfortable in Mexico than anywhere in Europe.

I actually grew up a midwestern or border line southern US. Where I grew up the choices were Baptist, Catholic or Black. Irish was not an available choice. And when I went to my last year of high school on Long Island my classmates called me "Rebel". So until reaching adulthood I was basically a white southern guy.

So I would think a Black person would feel much the same about Africa. A fact of genealogy but of little personal impact. Not trying to minimize the personal impact of being Black which I have no doubts is large. But the Africa thing would seem at best of minor historical interest.
That's fair. Anecdotal, of course, but all of my black friends and family feel a special connection to Africa when they visit. Some have even decided to move to Africa after visiting. There is a particularly growing expat community in Ghana, which has deemed 2019 the "year of return."

Old 05-12-2019, 02:06 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,224,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
If a dark-skinned American moves to Africa, are they an American-African or do they revert back to being an African?
This same question could be asked of American white people, who claim they are of a mixture of various Europeans... it does not mean they become each individual mixture when the visit the country that mixture if from.

Old 05-12-2019, 02:19 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,344,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
That's fair. Anecdotal, of course, but all of my black friends and family feel a special connection to Africa when they visit. Some have even decided to move to Africa after visiting. There is a particularly growing expat community in Ghana, which has deemed 2019 the "year of return."
My father might have felt such ties. He was of the first US born generation. I never did. After moving back to NYC I never felt the need to even go back to my home town. Set foot there only once in the next 50 years. The Irish thing was unthinkable. And I was both kinds and a little German. Simply a hopelessly foreign place that I might visit some day. I however became a regular visitor to London and that became my European place of choice.

Old 05-12-2019, 02:23 PM

3,078 posts, read 3,262,375 times
I preferred it in "back in the day" when xxx-American generally referred to where you were from and was used by those who "just got off the boat". E.g. Someone from Ireland who just immigrated to the US would be an Irish-American, their child would be an American. Once these types of labels became popular to denote race vs country of origin, they pretty much lost all meaning as successive generations generally become more mixed (e.g. my kids could be three different X-American).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies