Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 05:53 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,924,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I don't recall anyone throwing bananas on the field at a football (soccer) game, indeed you would be promplty arrested by the police and security and go before the courts, where you would receive a severe sentence and be banned from attending football matches.

Modern grounds have CCTV everywhere, and there is a national police football intelligence unit.

Racism is prevalent in some European countries, and ore especially in Eastern Europe but is not a big issue in British football.
One would think throwing anything onto the field would be a common sense safety issue for all of the players?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 06:03 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I don't recall anyone throwing bananas on the field at a football (soccer) game, indeed you would be promplty arrested by the police and security and go before the courts, where you would receive a severe sentence and be banned from attending football matches.

Modern grounds have CCTV everywhere, and there is a national police football intelligence unit.

Racism is prevalent in some European countries, and ore especially in Eastern Europe but is not a big issue in British football.
In Italy some years back. I was there with German cousins. There was one black player on the German team so it wasn’t even the evil Germans doing it!

The two worst instances of racism I’ve ever witnessed were not in America! We would never accept that behavior here.

Old 05-13-2019, 06:14 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,660 times
Danny Baker has always been a gobby Millwall yob and a renowned late-night drunken Twitterer.
But he isn't a racist and I believe his explanation that it never crossed his mind the photo he used in an attempt to poke fun of the upper classes would cause offence.
He removed it within minutes after this was pointed out to him.
Sadly the BBC panics at the first sign of a Twitter mob carrying pitchforks.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:20 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,171 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
In Italy some years back. I was there with German cousins. There was one black player on the German team so it wasn’t even the evil Germans doing it!

The two worst instances of racism I’ve ever witnessed were not in America! We would never accept that behavior here.
Italy is different to the UK, where soccer hooliganism was dealt with severally after events in the 70's and 80's.

Some East European countroies also have significnt problems, and some of the Montenegro fans were a disgrace earlier this year, when England played against them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
One would think throwing anything onto the field would be a common sense safety issue for all of the players?
Throwing objects with the intent to injure players on to the field would be taken seriously by the police and courts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by politics.co.uk

The Public Order Act 1986 permitted courts to ban supporters from grounds, while the Football Spectators Act 1989 provided for banning convicted hooligans from attending international matches. The Football (Disorder) Act 1999 changed this from a discretionary power of the courts to a duty to make orders. The Football Disorder Act 2000 abolished the distinction between domestic and international bans.

The Football Offences Act 1991 created specific offences of throwing missiles onto pitches, participating in indecent or racist chanting and going onto the pitch without lawful authority.

In Scotland, a new law was introduced in March 2012 to deal with the growing problem of threatening behaviour particularly in relation to inciting religious hatred. The Offensive Behaviour at Football and Threatening Communications (Scotland) Act 2012 creates two new offences: Offensive Behaviour related to football and Threatening Communications.

The former covers expressing or inciting religious, racial or other forms of hatred and and threatening behaviour at or on the way to a regulated football match. The latter relates to threats of serious violence and threats intended to stir up religious hatred sent via the internet or other communications.

Football Hooliganism - politics.co.uk

Football Spectators Act 1989 - Wikipedia

Football (Disorder) Act 2000 - Wikipedia

Last edited by Brave New World; 05-13-2019 at 09:34 AM..

Old 05-13-2019, 09:46 AM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Danny Baker has always been a gobby Millwall yob and a renowned late-night drunken Twitterer.
But he isn't a racist and I believe his explanation that it never crossed his mind the photo he used in an attempt to poke fun of the upper classes would cause offence.
He removed it within minutes after this was pointed out to him.
Sadly the BBC panics at the first sign of a Twitter mob carrying pitchforks.
Thanks for your insight as most of us here don't know who he is. So he meant it as a slap against the upper classes. I can understand that. But it's odd that no one showed that kind of picture with any of the recent royal newborns. And there's a world of animals he could have chosen from--a pig for greed, for instance. I'm still not convinced.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:56 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Thanks for your insight as most of us here don't know who he is. So he meant it as a slap against the upper classes. I can understand that. But it's odd that no one showed that kind of picture with any of the recent royal newborns. And there's a world of animals he could have chosen from--a pig for greed, for instance. I'm still not convinced.
I follow his Twitter feed occasionally.
He's a writer who cut his teeth in music journalism before launching a TV career and he's an multi award-wining radio host.
It's his online style to post wacky pictures and odd comments to go with them.
If I thought there was a hint of racism behind the post I'd say so and his apology strikes me as being sincere.
On balance I genuinely think it was an honest mistake possibly enabled by too much alcohol late at night.

https://twitter.com/prodnose?lang=en

Old 05-13-2019, 10:06 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,171 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
I follow his Twitter feed occasionally.
He's a writer who cut his teeth in music journalism before launching a TV career and he's an multi award-wining radio host.
It's his online style to post wacky pictures and odd comments to go with them.
If I thought there was a hint of racism behind the post I'd say so and his apology strikes me as being sincere.
On balance I genuinely think it was an honest mistake possibly enabled by too much alcohol late at night.

https://twitter.com/prodnose?lang=en
The 2015 BBC2 comedy series 'Cradle to Grave' was about Danny Bakers childhood.

Cradle to Grave - Wikipedia

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies