Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 09:22 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times

Advertisements

Republicans are intent on burying themselves on their own grave on this issue. They keep hoping that by passing these laws, one will eventually reach the SCOTUS and lead to the overturning of Roe.

Overturning Roe will destroy the cultural conservative coalition. They will no longer be able to raise money based on that issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 09:24 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times
This bill could also hurt the tourism industry in Georgia. What pregnant woman would take a chance of being charged in that overreaching state should she miscarry while there.

Worse yet, what woman would want to take a chance ending up in a hospital due to life threatening complications of early pregnancy only to learn that they cannot terminate the pregnancy to stop the hemorrhaging or life threatening infection.

Old 05-14-2019, 09:25 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Republicans are intent on burying themselves on their own grave on this issue. They keep hoping that by passing these laws, one will eventually reach the SCOTUS and lead to the overturning of Roe.

Overturning Roe will destroy the cultural conservative coalition. They will no longer be able to raise money based on that issue.
Oh, they are absolutely pushing to overturn Roe v. Wade. That much is clear. It's just so ridiculous. The party of not wanting people to have sex or use birth control or get sex ed into schools is trying to stop people from having abortions when they wind up pregnant and do not want to have children.

But... we have kids right now in foster care with no parents. What sort of sense does that make? We do not have a kid shortage in this country.

I still think this is a power move to try to pump up the white population because white people are more likely to have fewer kids (except for Dugger types) and are having kids later in life than PoC in these states where this crap is going on.

Old 05-14-2019, 09:27 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
This bill could also hurt the tourism industry in Georgia. What pregnant woman would take a chance of being charged in that overreaching state should she miscarry while there.

Worse yet, what woman would want to take a chance ending up in a hospital due to life threatening complications of early pregnancy only to learn that they cannot terminate the pregnancy to stop the hemorrhaging or life threatening infection.
I would not set foot in Georgia if I was of childbearing age unless I absolutely could not avoid it. And, granted, I'm not entirely NOT of childbearing age now... I'm just not likely to be pregnant at this point.

Old 05-14-2019, 09:27 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
dannyboy84 said:

Outside of rape and to save her body (health reasons), I am against abortion.
What business do you have to be concerned about someone's unwanted pregnancy unless you're half of the reason why there is one?

Old 05-14-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Oh, they are absolutely pushing to overturn Roe v. Wade. That much is clear. It's just so ridiculous. The party of not wanting people to have sex or use birth control or get sex ed into schools is trying to stop people from having abortions when they wind up pregnant and do not want to have children.

But... we have kids right now in foster care with no parents. What sort of sense does that make? We do not have a kid shortage in this country.

I still think this is a power move to try to pump up the white population because white people are more likely to have fewer kids (except for Dugger types) and are having kids later in life than PoC in these states where this crap is going on.
These types of bills, if enacted, would have the opposite effect. The economically poor will have multiple pregnancies and children thus qualifying them for additional tax credits, welfare, and food stamps. They will also need Medicaid for all their babies.

Old 05-14-2019, 09:29 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,282,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post

As Ireland discovered with that woman - and I've forgotten her name - who died because she could not get an abortion. I just read that they've completely changed the law regarding abortion because of her.

Old 05-14-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
As Ireland discovered with that woman - and I've forgotten her name - who died because she could not get an abortion. I just read that they've completely changed the law regarding abortion because of her.
Death of Savita Halappanavar

Quote:
Medical staff at University Hospital Galway denied her request for an abortion following an incomplete miscarriage on the grounds that granting her request would be illegal under Irish law, ultimately resulting in her death from septic miscarriage.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_...a_Halappanavar

Old 05-14-2019, 09:49 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,006,517 times
I read an interesting comment the other day: the person, a medical doctor (on twitter), pointed out that at six weeks in the womb there may indeed be a heartbeat, but no brain activity.

Said doctor said that if the law becomes that one may not cause the death of an individual (including, per these new laws, the unborn), that has a detectable heart beat, then the law may, unintentionally, prohibit 'unhooking the machine' for adults that, have a detectable heartbeat, but no brain activity.

We had to do such for my brother-in-law ten years ago. He was on a ventilator (he could not breath on his own; a fetus does not breath on its own), he had a heartbeat, but no discernible brain activity. His wife, my sister, finally made the difficult decision to disconnect him from the ventilator, causing his death within two hours.

Again, it is possible that some of these new laws may have unintended consequences. I found it an interesting thought.

Old 05-14-2019, 09:51 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,237,835 times
They have no intention of enforcing these laws. It's all a push to get the issue back in the Supreme Court, where they hope that they have enough conservative votes to overturn RvW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies