Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 10:35 AM

2,800 posts, read 2,256,099 times

Advertisements

This thread headline is a total distortion of what she said. She clearly did not say the holocaust gave her a calming feeling. The creation of a "safe space" for the Jewish people in the aftermath of the holocaust gave her a calming feel. That is completely different. She isn't in any way endorsing or expressing pleasure about the holocaust.

I don't agree with her left wing politics, but this is just a controvery rooted in distortion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 10:38 AM

17,543 posts, read 17,478,426 times
I read her entire statement and not only was nothing taken out of context, she also made inaccurate statement that Palestinians (most likely referring to the Muslim population) welcomed the Jews fleeing Europe. They didn’t have any say since the area at the time was controlled by the British.

Old 05-13-2019, 10:41 AM

5,254 posts, read 6,179,726 times
The way she strung her thoughts together was goofy but anyone who reads the entire quote and tries to pretend she said the Holocaust itself gave her a calming feeling is being disingenuous. Her comment was meant to convey that the fact that her ancestors gave up the land that provided Jews a safe space after WW2 was calming but that she wants us to now look into how equitable that had been for Palestinians themselves. I think it is a fair question but she was not bright/skilled enough to place it in an order that made the most sense.

At this point the 3 or 4 women in the 'squad' need to go in for some serious speech and communication training. Collectively they cannot make it more than 10 days without saying something that has everybody asking WTF...

Old 05-13-2019, 10:53 AM

52,504 posts, read 34,243,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
This thread headline is a total distortion of what she said. She clearly did not say the holocaust gave her a calming feeling. The creation of a "safe space" for the Jewish people in the aftermath of the holocaust gave her a calming feel. That is completely different. She isn't in any way endorsing or expressing pleasure about the holocaust.

I don't agree with her left wing politics, but this is just a controvery rooted in distortion.
wrong x2. the headline is not a distortion of what she said. your claim that the headline said that 'the holocaust gave her a calming feeling', however, is just such a distortion.

Quote:
"There’s always kind of a calming feeling I tell folks when I think of the Holocaust"
-R. Tlaib
direct quote.

Old 05-13-2019, 11:08 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,652,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I read her entire statement and not only was nothing taken out of context, she also made inaccurate statement that Palestinians (most likely referring to the Muslim population) welcomed the Jews fleeing Europe. They didn’t have any say since the area at the time was controlled by the British.
The Arab revolt of 1936-1939 caused the British to limit the Jewish escape from the Nazis to Eretz Israel, and heavily contributed to increasing the number of Holocaust victims.

Old 05-13-2019, 11:10 AM

2,923 posts, read 973,663 times
just imagine if a republican said slavery gave them a calming feeling because their ancestor fought in the civil war

Old 05-13-2019, 11:13 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,398,518 times
The fake outrage is strong in 2019.

Old 05-13-2019, 11:14 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,849,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
direct quote.
Followed by:

Quote:
and the fact that it was my ancestors — Palestinianswho lost their land and some lost their lives, their livelihood, their human dignity, their existence in many ways, have been wiped out, and some people's passports," Tlaib said just after the 28 minute mark. "And just all of it was in the name of trying to create a safe haven for Jews, post-the Holocaust, post-the tragedy and the horrific persecution of Jews across the world at that time.
Basically she is saying she feels good that her people were able to provide a safe haven for the Jews. But you go ahead and carefully excise that one phrase and pretend the rest was never said. Those of us with the capacity to read for comprehension can clearly and easily see your deception.

Old 05-13-2019, 11:15 AM

11,207 posts, read 8,261,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
wrong x2. the headline is not a distortion of what she said. your claim that the headline said that 'the holocaust gave her a calming feeling', however, is just such a distortion.

direct quote.
It is not a quote, it's a snippet from a quote. Read the FULL QUOTE in the OP. I don't really like her (Tlaib) either, but it's sick what people are doing to her.

I'm Jewish, and I can tell you that while I am Pro-Israel, and Pro-Israeli state, that the Palistinians in fact got a raw deal out of this. The President is purposely taking her comments and sewing hate for political gain. Don't get me wrong, she was sloppy with HOW she said it, but what she was CLEARLY saying is that it is calming to her that the Palistinians, at their own cost, helped to establish the Israeli State. Anyone with a 6th grade reading level could understand this, which probably explains why Trump and his base are getting it wrong.

To summarize: She said it poorly, and that's on her, but her message was NOT that the Holocaust gives her calm, it's that the Palistinian Response (as described in her actual, full quote) gave her calm.

Disgusting what lengths Trump and his base will go to sew hate and division. Absolutely sickening.

Old 05-13-2019, 11:17 AM

52,504 posts, read 34,243,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Followed by:

Basically she is saying she feels good that her people were able to provide a safe haven for the Jews. But you go ahead and carefully excise that one phrase and pretend the rest was never said. Those of us with the capacity to read for comprehension can clearly and easily see your deception.
'pretend the rest was never said' - - by stating it right there in the first post?

how odd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies