Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 01:32 PM

3,078 posts, read 3,264,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Are Asians complaining about it? I’ll take their complaints seriously.

Whites complaining on behalf of Asians will be dismissed immediately as anger that some random black dude is getting some fame and money. That’s always enough to agitate the White Conservative crowd.
I highly doubt there is anyone "complaining on behalf", the complaint lies within the notion of "equal treatment" vs "I'm standing up for someone else". There is a pretty big difference.

Old 05-13-2019, 01:41 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,400,677 times
In somewhat related news, the nearly $60 million it made at the American box office during its opening weekend is a new record for a video game-based movie.

Old 05-13-2019, 01:51 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
I highly doubt there is anyone "complaining on behalf", the complaint lies within the notion of "equal treatment" vs "I'm standing up for someone else". There is a pretty big difference.
Nah. It’s got little to nothing to do with equal treatment. There’s no such thing anyway.

Again, this is conservative whites taking on some sort of weird aggrieved entitlement on the Asian community’s behalf, and until I see the Asian community have something to say about it, all complaints should be dismissed.

This whole “I’m gonna take on the black community on behalf of Asians” Superman Syndrome that’s become so pervasive nowadays is laughable. Asians can fight their own battles. Quit trying to use the Asian community as a wedge or a proxy to air your own longstanding grievances with African Americans. To my knowledge, they haven’t asked for you to stand in for them in their absence. They aren’t even absent... which makes this even more ridiculous.

If you don’t want a black person to have something, then just say so. Folks would respect that more than the subterfuge you’re employing here. It’s too transparent.

Old 05-13-2019, 01:54 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,115,507 times
Cultural appropriation would refer more to someone ripping off a culture they know nothing about and making it into a trend. Like you didn’t grow up with it or at he very least take time to get to know it at a personal level like knowing the history and the people and gaining an appreciation for it.

Old 05-13-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Nah. It’s got little to nothing to do with equal treatment. There’s no such thing anyway.

Again, this is conservative whites taking on some sort of weird aggrieved entitlement on the Asian community’s behalf, and until I see the Asian community have something to say about it, all complaints should be dismissed.
Of course no such thing as true equality, but there is a thing as hypocrisy. And I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, most of the white aggrieved entitlement that I've observed typically comes from the left. But then again, why are we conjecturing, ask the OP, it's their post, only they know if they were "standing up" for Asians or simply pointing out the hypocrisy in the situation. Regardless of our separate opinions, they can set the record straight, if I'm wrong, so be it, I misread the post.

Old 05-13-2019, 01:57 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Of course no such thing as true equality, but there is a thing as hypocrisy. And I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, most of the white aggrieved entitlement that I've observed typically comes from the left. But then again, why are we conjecturing, ask the OP, it's their post, only they know if they were "standing up" for Asians or simply pointing out the hypocrisy in the situation. Regardless of our separate opinions, they can set the record straight, if I'm wrong, so be it, I misread the post.
I don’t see any hypocrisy. But if there is some hypocrisy to be pointed out, I’ll wait to hear it from the Asian community.

Old 05-13-2019, 02:00 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Cultural appropriation would refer more to someone ripping off a culture they know nothing about and making it into a trend. Like you didn’t grow up with it or at he very least take time to get to know it at a personal level like knowing the history and the people and gaining an appreciation for it.
That's going to be a problem since Pikachu isn't real.

Old 05-13-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
I don’t see any hypocrisy. But if there is some hypocrisy to be pointed out, I’ll wait to hear it from the Asian community.
OK, guess you also believe that it's not the what it's the who, fair enough.

Old 05-13-2019, 02:48 PM

2,818 posts, read 2,285,892 times
On the one hand, I think this is a silly topic to be debating. Especially since these are fictitious characters. But in general, whats fair is fair

1) If we are concerned about Asians not being offered roles in media and being replaced by nonAsian actors we should be concerned regardless of the race of the replacing actor.
2) plus the it only matters when a white person does it simply feeds the narrative that progressives are selective and hypocritical when they call for equal treatment. Reciprocity is important when it comes to changing norms on what is acceptable.

Last edited by jpdivola; 05-13-2019 at 03:16 PM..

Old 05-13-2019, 03:58 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,115,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
That's going to be a problem since Pikachu isn't real.

In this case, anime culture. Which transcends race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies