Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 08:24 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times

Advertisements

This is just MORE affirmative action. It is not equality. It is the opposite of equality, and Unconstitutional. If you want to help the poor, LGBT, women, Blacks, etc there are other ways to do it. Charitable organizations are a big way. Also we already have programs and affirmative action. To destroy the INTEGRITY of an APTITUDE TEST to further Social Engineer Society is just more Feel Good bunk!

We are in competition in a Global Market, and losing. To further dumb down entrance requirements will only further put us behind China, India, Japan, parts of Europe, and other countries. Look who is coming here to the U.S. on H1B visas taking good jobs away from American college graduates.

Last edited by Pilot1; 05-18-2019 at 09:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2019, 08:59 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,449,540 times
So what shall we blame this intractable achievement gap on now? Not enough or bad teachers? Insufficient supplies, facilities or money? Unfair curriculum? not enough unions? climate change? What's the excuse now?

Old 05-18-2019, 09:21 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
so what shall we blame this intractable achievement gap on now? Not enough or bad teachers? Insufficient supplies, facilities or money? Unfair curriculum? Not enough unions? Climate change? What's the excuse now?
White men.

Old 05-18-2019, 09:41 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
So you get extra points if your father left you and your mother depends on welfare?
You are screwed if you live in a happy family and your hardworking parents care about your education?

-------------------------------------
The College Board plans to assign an adversity score to every student who takes the SAT to try to capture their social and economic background, jumping into the debate raging over race and class in college admissions.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/sat-to-...nd-11557999000
Here is my take on this as someone who took the SAT 3x and scored a near 900, but still managed to get into college due to my decent GPA. I live in a depressed area, and I know the realities of some who are struggling to make improvements in their livelihood. I also understand issues of single parents who don't have enough time to help educate their kids one on one like checking homework. Factors do exist such as socioeconomics that can attribute a students learning capabilities that can have lifelong consequences. The SAT assistance based on socioeconomics in my opinion is the step in the right direction, but the SAT board must be careful on how they rule out or push this type of assistance. For one students can abuse this type of system by stating they live with a grand parent, or parent was sick and ill, my white father is married to my step mother who is black woman. This opens up avenues of abuse for many who are able to achieve good scores and obtain better scores. Another issue is those who live in depressed areas and come from depressed backgrounds. When such people achieve top scores due to assistance, some will still have trouble academically when going to a top school, and thus either graduating with a low gpa like a 2.0 or flunking out of college all together.

Yes SJW's are everywhere now and fester mainly in Academia and Media industries (Journalism, Entertainment, Publishing, Social Media) and the likes. These types of people when they graduate with gender degrees, or black studies. They generally take jobs in fields I have mentioned and thus change the narrative. Change comes from positions like consulting to HR, or diversity officer. Yes SJWS do ruin everything. And again I do support this type of assistance, but sadly abuse will ruin it, and those who are not qualified to top tier but score top tier with asstiance will have a hard time achieving success at a top school or institution. Lets not forget that college is getting more expensive, so expect more loads of debt.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 05-18-2019 at 09:50 AM..

Old 05-18-2019, 10:20 AM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times
always claim you're African American on all forms.

Old 05-19-2019, 12:49 AM

10,181 posts, read 10,257,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Here is my take on this as someone who took the SAT 3x and scored a near 900, but still managed to get into college due to my decent GPA. I live in a depressed area, and I know the realities of some who are struggling to make improvements in their livelihood. I also understand issues of single parents who don't have enough time to help educate their kids one on one like checking homework. Factors do exist such as socioeconomics that can attribute a students learning capabilities that can have lifelong consequences. The SAT assistance based on socioeconomics in my opinion is the step in the right direction, but the SAT board must be careful on how they rule out or push this type of assistance. For one students can abuse this type of system by stating they live with a grand parent, or parent was sick and ill, my white father is married to my step mother who is black woman. This opens up avenues of abuse for many who are able to achieve good scores and obtain better scores. Another issue is those who live in depressed areas and come from depressed backgrounds. When such people achieve top scores due to assistance, some will still have trouble academically when going to a top school, and thus either graduating with a low gpa like a 2.0 or flunking out of college all together.

Yes SJW's are everywhere now and fester mainly in Academia and Media industries (Journalism, Entertainment, Publishing, Social Media) and the likes. These types of people when they graduate with gender degrees, or black studies. They generally take jobs in fields I have mentioned and thus change the narrative. Change comes from positions like consulting to HR, or diversity officer. Yes SJWS do ruin everything. And again I do support this type of assistance, but sadly abuse will ruin it, and those who are not qualified to top tier but score top tier with asstiance will have a hard time achieving success at a top school or institution. Lets not forget that college is getting more expensive, so expect more loads of debt.
You can always find the time to check your kid's homework.

Priorities.

You either have priorities that matter, or you don't.

Depressed areas? Like Cory Booker's, Newark, NJ? And not even his Spartacus bald head could fix the mess he governed over for years, let alone figure out where/how to spend Zuckerberg's 100M without the outside "intervention" that cost millions, and still didn't even help to fix a thing.

If you don't have the academic background? A few extra points for your "poor-me" life on the SAT is not going to help you after you get in to a college that you shouldn't be in.

Not that any college worth its tuition bases acceptance on the SAT or ACT scores alone. Or GPAs. This is why Harvard is being sued. The plaintiffs don't understand the word "diverse" outside of race/ethnicity. Yet it's all good when they can play with the word and it works in their favor.

But, let's say it happens: then what?

Will these kids also be given "poor me" points on their tests and exams, by their professors?

Old 05-19-2019, 07:27 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,804,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
I was in band as a kid and loved it. There are plenty of Asian kids in our neighborhood who are in band and choir.
Regional I guess. My son has done all-county for five years and there are hardly any Asian kids in band or choir, but lots in orchestra.

I've always thought band was much more fun. High school orchestra has all instruments though so now my son is doing band, orchestra, jazz band, and choir. Our school is really big on music.

Old 05-19-2019, 09:19 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,909,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I'm not an Ivy League grad. However, why would you NOT favor admissions to the children of those people who donated to your school?

Money doesn't grow on trees.
So is it about merit, or not?

Old 05-19-2019, 01:33 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,904,275 times
https://nypost.com/2019/05/18/colleg...out-ethnicity/

The guy running the college admissions racket was no dummy..............he knew that the parents should pull out the BIG guns if they really wanted to get their kids in. So they checked off the minority boxes.

Duh.

Old 05-19-2019, 02:11 PM

4,445 posts, read 1,449,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
So is it about merit, or not?
Leftists are now saying that merit is both condescending and racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies