Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 01:37 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Interesting points.

My son took Algebra II/Trig as a freshman. Non-accelerated in our district wouldn't take that until junior year. The PSAT, which determines National Merit, must be taken here in October of junior year. You can take it as a practice as a sophomore, but it doesn't count.
Yep, same with my daughter. Her middle school had an option to take Honors Algebra 1 and Honors Geometry simultaneously in the 8th grade, so she did. Now she’s finishing up Honors Algebra II/Trig as a high school freshman. She was advised to take the PSAT fall of next year just to get a baseline score so she could study all year to take it for real as a junior and have a shot at the National Merit Scholarship.

If she hadn’t been in this school, she would not have had this option. Many of her peers who stayed behind in the local middle school (she left at 6th grade for a private) are taking Algebra 1 as freshmen. They are on a completely different track that’s not based one whit on ability.

I continue to have very mixed feelings about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well said. Context is very important in terms of where the applicant went to school and what's available.

To the bold, that's actually a problem if these Asian families think that test scores and grades are everything. They don't measure heart, interest - and if they spend all their time doing test prep at the expense of say, exploring extracurricular activities, that won't help them. It can just mean you're a good test taker.

I speak from experience being Asian American and working in a field with such so-called tiger parents and their mentality.
This is a great point. There can be huge downsides to focusing too hard on test scores. Thank you for bringing that perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 02:08 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Yep, same with my daughter. Her middle school had an option to take Honors Algebra 1 and Honors Geometry simultaneously in the 8th grade, so she did. Now she’s finishing up Honors Algebra II/Trig as a high school freshman. She was advised to take the PSAT fall of next year just to get a baseline score so she could study all year to take it for real as a junior and have a shot at the National Merit Scholarship.

If she hadn’t been in this school, she would not have had this option. Many of her peers who stayed behind in the local middle school (she left at 6th grade for a private) are taking Algebra 1 as freshmen. They are on a completely different track that’s not based one whit on ability.
The default, more of less, in our school district, is to take Geometry in 9th grade, AlgII/trig in 10th, Pre-calculus in 11th and Calculus in 12th.

The PSAT, in my opinion, and the National Merit Scholarship run, is kinda overrated as a eval point. Only guarantee of taking the PSAT is to get junk mail from colleges and universities. It's a "nice to have" thing, and the typical award assuming you make it all the way to finalist and get an award, is about $2,500, which would come after acceptance letters are out. Has little to no bearing on college admissions.

Old 05-17-2019, 02:53 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well said. Context is very important in terms of where the applicant went to school and what's available.

To the bold, that's actually a problem if these Asian families think that test scores and grades are everything. They don't measure heart, interest - and if they spend all their time doing test prep at the expense of say, exploring extracurricular activities, that won't help them. It can just mean you're a good test taker.

I speak from experience being Asian American and working in a field with such so-called tiger parents and their mentality.
It is NOT wise for Asians to invest too much time in music, sports or "leadership". The reason is obvious but people don't say it.
Eventually you have to solve interview problems to get a job at Google.

Old 05-17-2019, 02:59 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
It is NOT wise for Asians to invest too much time in music, sports or "leadership". The reason is obvious but people don't say it.
Depends on what kind of "art". SOME Performing arts, I agree, but there are a lot of Asian students graduated from the world's best art (design, visual) and music schools.

I get what you are saying though and I agree

Old 05-17-2019, 03:05 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Depends on what kind of "art". SOME Performing arts, I agree, but there are a lot of Asian students graduated from the world's best art (design, visual) and music schools.

I get what you are saying though and I agree
Yes, actually a lot of Asians practice classical music too.
However the parents usually don't want their children to be professional musicians and alike.

In East Asian culture, children take care of their elderly parents. In China it is required by law.
That may be a reason why parents push their children hard too. It is like 401K but better.

Old 05-17-2019, 03:15 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,805,229 times
Quote:
Yes, actually a lot of Asians practice classical music too.
However the parents usually don't want their children to be professional musicians and alike.

In East Asian culture, children take care of their elderly parents. In China it is required by law.
That may be a reason why parents push their children hard too. It is like 401K but better.
I definitely see the music culture here. Most seem to study violin. Very few in either band or choir. A lot of competition for first chair/ concertmaster.

Old 05-17-2019, 03:17 PM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Standard responses. Nothing is anyone's fault, discard the meritocracy, assign admissions on feelings and emotions.

All we're missing is people simply admitting that all the Asian kids kicking everyone's arses academically is annoying, so racist policies that discriminate against them are cool. At least when they did it to the Jews in the early 20th century, they had the guts to admit it directly.

Guess it's good for everyone that when Asians face ridiculous amounts of institutional racial discrimination, instead of shrieking and wailing to the media about it, they just put their heads down, work even harder, and still kick everyone's arse. Good for them.

And this latest attempt to de-Asian the Ivy league will fail, as those folks will find a way to check off all the appropriate socioeconomic freebies as is possible. Cultures who look at adversity as fuel for achievement are tough to keep down.

Old 05-17-2019, 03:39 PM

623 posts, read 233,916 times
Quote:
So you get extra points if your father left you and your mother depends on welfare?
You are screwed if you live in a happy family and your hardworking parents care about your education?

-------------------------------------
The College Board plans to assign an adversity score to every student who takes the SAT to try to capture their social and economic background, jumping into the debate raging over race and class in college admissions.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/sat-to-...nd-11557999000
I care about my kids education and we are a 2 parent household etc yet are poor and this will benefit my children. I am cool with it. Not only will they score high on SAT but being poor will help them even more. I am sure this makes the elitists really mad.

Old 05-17-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Uh, I don't follow that. I think you're thinking way too narrowly here.

In order to do well on an interview at Google or any company, you need to be able to express yourself effectively. That's called communication.

In order for anyone to excel or advance in any organization, one needs to be able to learn to collaborate effectively with others.

You can develop leadership, communication and collaboration skills through activities such as sports, music, and other worthwhile extracurricular activities.

BTW, I live about 10 minutes from Google, and there are many people in my neighborhood who work for that giant behemoth - sure, you gotta be smart, but you also have to have the soft skills too. Ignoring that plays into the stereotype of Asians who are technically proficient but don't have what it takes to move into management.

Old 05-17-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
I definitely see the music culture here. Most seem to study violin. Very few in either band or choir. A lot of competition for first chair/ concertmaster.
I was in band as a kid and loved it. There are plenty of Asian kids in our neighborhood who are in band and choir.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies